Re: Chosen Fixed/Free Hub

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
      How long until someone does a multi speed fixed-free hub again? Per my understanding BSA offered such a hub briefly and it is now a quite scarce collectors item even in GB.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

      > Did we talk about this? I can't find mention of it in the archives.
      >
      > Now joining SRAM and Affix in the "no-flip" fixed/free hub market is Chosen:
      >
      > <http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid=79&tid=83&p_no=292>
      >
      > or
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/4ybpoc5

    • Rick Paulos
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
        I always thought there would be a big market for a cable operated
        freewheel / neutral (in both directions) hub.

        Squeeze a brake-lever and you get nothing? yeah, perfect for those
        highly talented bmx'rs who can ride backwards but have to pedal
        backwards because of the freewheel action. A neutral would allow them
        to coast backwards without pedaling at all. Having to pedal reduces
        the speed, balance and momentum and just isn't very graceful. Such a
        hub would have to be bomb proof. I suppose you could accomplish
        nearly the same thing by removing one set of pawls from an AW hub but
        I don't see those hubs taking the kind of abuse bmx half pipe stunt
        riders dish out to their bikes. Plus indicator chain sticking out
        could be a problem.

        You would need a good gyro for the tail whips and handle bar spins.

        Rick

        At 01:13 PM 4/14/2011, you wrote:
        >How long until someone does a multi speed fixed-free hub again? Per
        >my understanding BSA offered such a hub briefly and it is now a
        >quite scarce collectors item even in GB.
        >
        >Rich Wood
        >
        >--- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj"
        ><prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Did we talk about this? I can't find mention of it in the archives.
        > >
        > > Now joining SRAM and Affix in the "no-flip" fixed/free hub market
        > is Chosen:
        > >
        > > <http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid=79&tid=83&p_no=292>
        > >
        > > or
        > >
        > > http://tinyurl.com/4ybpoc5

      • Joe Bunik
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
          Rick
          You mean like a freecoaster?
          http://www.free-coaster.com/
          =- Joe Bunik
          Walnut Creek, CA

          On 4/14/11, Rick Paulos <rick-paulos@...> wrote:
          > I always thought there would be a big market for a cable operated
          > freewheel / neutral (in both directions) hub.
          >
          > Squeeze a brake-lever and you get nothing? yeah, perfect for those
          > highly talented bmx'rs who can ride backwards but have to pedal
          > backwards because of the freewheel action. A neutral would allow them
          > to coast backwards without pedaling at all. Having to pedal reduces
          > the speed, balance and momentum and just isn't very graceful. Such a
          > hub would have to be bomb proof. I suppose you could accomplish
          > nearly the same thing by removing one set of pawls from an AW hub but
          > I don't see those hubs taking the kind of abuse bmx half pipe stunt
          > riders dish out to their bikes. Plus indicator chain sticking out
          > could be a problem.
          >
          > You would need a good gyro for the tail whips and handle bar spins.
          >
          > Rick
          >

          > At 01:13 PM 4/14/2011, you wrote:
          >>How long until someone does a multi speed fixed-free hub again? Per
          >>my understanding BSA offered such a hub briefly and it is now a
          >>quite scarce collectors item even in GB.
          >>
          >>Rich Wood
          >>
          >>--- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj"
          >><prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > Did we talk about this? I can't find mention of it in the archives.
          >> >
          >> > Now joining SRAM and Affix in the "no-flip" fixed/free hub market
          >> is Chosen:
          >> >
          >> > <http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid=79&tid=83&p_no=292>
          >> >
          >> > or
          >> >
          >> > http://tinyurl.com/4ybpoc5

        • Rick Paulos
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
            Wow, didn't know they existed. I would think the X games guys would
            be using them.

            here's a good vid on the guts and how they work with some impressive
            riding. yeah, jumping off 10 steps, backwards, landing backwards too!

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12I8iK12oqA

            Rick

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
              Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Chosen Fixed/Free Hub
               I think applying this concept to a fixed/free chainring or cog would be just the icing on the cake for an S3X.

              --

              Mark Stonich;
                BikeSmith Design & Fabrication