Chosen Fixed/Free Hub

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
      Did we talk about this? I can't find mention of it in the archives.

      Now joining SRAM and Affix in the "no-flip" fixed/free hub market is Chosen:

      <http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid=79&tid=83&p_no=292>

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/4ybpoc5
    • Rich W
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
        How long until someone does a multi speed fixed-free hub again? Per my understanding BSA offered such a hub briefly and it is now a quite scarce collectors item even in GB.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

        > Did we talk about this? I can't find mention of it in the archives.
        >
        > Now joining SRAM and Affix in the "no-flip" fixed/free hub market is Chosen:
        >
        > <http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid=79&tid=83&p_no=292>
        >
        > or
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/4ybpoc5

      • Rick Paulos
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
          I always thought there would be a big market for a cable operated
          freewheel / neutral (in both directions) hub.

          Squeeze a brake-lever and you get nothing? yeah, perfect for those
          highly talented bmx'rs who can ride backwards but have to pedal
          backwards because of the freewheel action. A neutral would allow them
          to coast backwards without pedaling at all. Having to pedal reduces
          the speed, balance and momentum and just isn't very graceful. Such a
          hub would have to be bomb proof. I suppose you could accomplish
          nearly the same thing by removing one set of pawls from an AW hub but
          I don't see those hubs taking the kind of abuse bmx half pipe stunt
          riders dish out to their bikes. Plus indicator chain sticking out
          could be a problem.

          You would need a good gyro for the tail whips and handle bar spins.

          Rick

          At 01:13 PM 4/14/2011, you wrote:
          >How long until someone does a multi speed fixed-free hub again? Per
          >my understanding BSA offered such a hub briefly and it is now a
          >quite scarce collectors item even in GB.
          >
          >Rich Wood
          >
          >--- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj"
          ><prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Did we talk about this? I can't find mention of it in the archives.
          > >
          > > Now joining SRAM and Affix in the "no-flip" fixed/free hub market
          > is Chosen:
          > >
          > > <http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid=79&tid=83&p_no=292>
          > >
          > > or
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/4ybpoc5

        • Joe Bunik
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
            Rick
            You mean like a freecoaster?
            http://www.free-coaster.com/
            =- Joe Bunik
            Walnut Creek, CA

            On 4/14/11, Rick Paulos <rick-paulos@...> wrote:
            > I always thought there would be a big market for a cable operated
            > freewheel / neutral (in both directions) hub.
            >
            > Squeeze a brake-lever and you get nothing? yeah, perfect for those
            > highly talented bmx'rs who can ride backwards but have to pedal
            > backwards because of the freewheel action. A neutral would allow them
            > to coast backwards without pedaling at all. Having to pedal reduces
            > the speed, balance and momentum and just isn't very graceful. Such a
            > hub would have to be bomb proof. I suppose you could accomplish
            > nearly the same thing by removing one set of pawls from an AW hub but
            > I don't see those hubs taking the kind of abuse bmx half pipe stunt
            > riders dish out to their bikes. Plus indicator chain sticking out
            > could be a problem.
            >
            > You would need a good gyro for the tail whips and handle bar spins.
            >
            > Rick
            >

            > At 01:13 PM 4/14/2011, you wrote:
            >>How long until someone does a multi speed fixed-free hub again? Per
            >>my understanding BSA offered such a hub briefly and it is now a
            >>quite scarce collectors item even in GB.
            >>
            >>Rich Wood
            >>
            >>--- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj"
            >><prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > Did we talk about this? I can't find mention of it in the archives.
            >> >
            >> > Now joining SRAM and Affix in the "no-flip" fixed/free hub market
            >> is Chosen:
            >> >
            >> > <http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid=79&tid=83&p_no=292>
            >> >
            >> > or
            >> >
            >> > http://tinyurl.com/4ybpoc5

          • Rick Paulos
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
              Wow, didn't know they existed. I would think the X games guys would
              be using them.

              here's a good vid on the guts and how they work with some impressive
              riding. yeah, jumping off 10 steps, backwards, landing backwards too!

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12I8iK12oqA

              Rick

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
                Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Chosen Fixed/Free Hub
                 I think applying this concept to a fixed/free chainring or cog would be just the icing on the cake for an S3X.

                --

                Mark Stonich;
                  BikeSmith Design & Fabrication