SA Thumb Shifter

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13 4:04 PM
      Has anyone tried the current SA thumb shifter for the AW and related classic 3 speed hubs yet?

      Impressions and comments would be appreciated. I note that the price premium is substantial over the classic trigger shifter even though the mechanism is simpler it appears to me.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14 9:10 PM
        > Has anyone tried the current SA thumb shifter for the AW and
        >related classic 3 speed hubs yet?

        Not yet. I have the bar end version which will eventually be used in
        conjunction with a SunTour BarCon on the left to operate an S5 on a
        road bike

        >Impressions and comments would be appreciated.

        The shifter for the S3X should be the same except for the amount of
        cable pulled and my S3X unit is very nice indeed. Mine is a bar end
        but I understand that the same mechanism is used for the thumb and
        downtube versions.

        > I note that the price premium is substantial over the classic
        >trigger shifter even though the mechanism is simpler it appears to
        >me.

        I haven't pulled one apart but I doubt it's simpler. And the
        trigger is mostly just stampings.

        --

        Mark Stonich;
        BikeSmith Design & Fabrication