Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Alfine service

  • Frank White
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2011
      I filled my nexus up with phil's and haven't had any noticable amount
      of leakage, even when the bike had been leaned over. Of course with
      the roller brake it isn't that much of an issue, as some extra oil
      will improve roller brake performance, if anything.

      --
      -Frank White

      On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:18 AM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:

      > On 2011-04-05, at 8:48 PM, Bruce Gilmore wrote:
      > > The ISO220 oil is a heavy gear oil, but the reason i used it was i thought it might stay put longer inside the hub, but today a little bit had leaked out the non drive side and contaminated the brake disc and pads. The bike was lying on its non drive side in my car for a couple of hours, so i think i'll have to store it on the drive side from now on
      > >
      > > Overall there doesn't seem to be any more drag, maybe a fraction quieter at slow speeds & and shifts like new again , as recently i had noticed a few times it hadn't shifted while stationary until i took all the pressure off of the crank
      >
      > I think with oil in that hub, there is no choice except to keep your bike pretty much vertical. I have all of a tablespoon (15 ml) of ATF inside mine, and though the hub works wonderfully, it will drip given any chance at all, and I am still working on getting most of the oil off the rear disk.
      >
      > I've thought about fitting a sort of oil-slinging washer to the rear rotor, sort of a bowl with holes for the axle and six screws, but the brake's been working well enough since I reduced the amount of oil to 15 ml (it's a rear wheel on a longtail, I'm not usually interested in skidding that tire anyhow). Another possibility is to upgrade to a 203mm rotor, which will give that much more stopping torque.
      >
      > David

    • palatine_ej
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2011
        > The ISO220 oil is a heavy gear oil, but the reason i used it was i thought it might stay put longer inside the hub, but today a little bit had leaked out the non drive side and contaminated the brake disc and pads. The bike was lying on its non drive side in my car for a couple of hours, so i think i'll have to store it on the drive side from now on

        Hmm, I use much thinner Mobil 1 ATF, I've had a little weapage because I didn't let the internals drain enough (ended after a couple hundred miles) but never had a bad leak like you describe. I can't imagine how such a thick lube would get past the seals unless something went wrong when you re-assembled the hub. But then I wouldn't expect it to be shifting correctly or have correct bearing adjustment.