Re: FW-FM Further question for the gurus

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2011
      Lowest 2 gears of the FM are using the low gear pawls which are on the left side. Noise probably not closely related to the right hand cone adjustment, but a measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions.

      I gave up on my FM hub because I broke the low gear pawl race off of several left ball cups. My guess is that I could have made it work if I had used a steel threaded hub shell from the 50s and used something as a shim support between the ball cup and the shell, but I did not think of that until many years later.

      In the early 90s I converted to an S5 with 4th gear as level road; one of the dual pull-chain sculpted aluminum shell S5s that was unused but 10 or 15 years old. That worked really excellently - probably the most successful IGH bike/hub I have ever owned. Still works but not been in front-line service for about 8 years.