Introduction

  • capt_bicycle
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2011
      Hi Internal Gearheads; I'm new to the group and building up a cheapo 700c cross frame with a Nexus-8 SG-8R36 as the centerpiece. Seriously considered SA X-RF5(W) as well as the quasi-fixie SA S3X (what's up with the price of that thing?). I've rebuilt a couple of SA 3-speed hubs using Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual from the 1970's.
    • Rich W
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2011
        Welcome to the group.

        The S3X list price is high but there are internet bargains available. AEBike lists it for about $112 currently with shifter and installation kit. Amazon prices vary from 4120 to $225! A higher price than most other 3 speed hubs but I believe that it is a limited production specialty item compared to standard 3 speed hubs. In fact the internals are basically SA 5 speed. The disk brake Shimano 3 speed, the SG-3D55, actually retails for more on the AEBike web site.

        At least one dealer on here has commented that some internet retailers are selling it for less than his dealer cost!

        Rich Wood