Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: FW-FM Further question for the gurus

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2011
      Hi Henry;

      With all English made SA hubs, (probably the new one's too, but I
      haven't a the chance to pull those apart yet), the position of the right
      hand cone affects the alignment of the internals, you do this cone up
      finger tight and back it off enough to get the locking washer seated on
      its flats, 1/2 turn *maximum* (not 1/2 turn minimum as you've typed
      below).

      The adjustment of bearing preload should be done using the left hand
      cone only. With all old SA you want to be able of feel the tiniest
      amount of looseness at the rim but not at the axle.

      Cheers

      Joel

      On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 03:12 +0000, henrysheil wrote:
      > Well I'm very pleased with my 60 year old FM, I have it set up to give me 75, 67, 57 and 44 gear
      > inches and I'm using the top 3 a lot, I don't need anything higher on this bike (Moulton).

      > After backing the RH cone out to 1/2 turn the dragginess is acceptable.
      >
      > But the question now is, under load on a hill in the lowest 2 gears it
      > "clicks" or "grinds" slightly inside somewhere, which I feel may be due
      > to the RH cone not supporting the driver as well as it might.

      > Is this likely to damage the internals, if so I'd rather put up with a
      > little dragginess than damage such a lovely old item.
      >
      > Advice and opinions please?
      >
      > Henry
      > Oz
      >

      > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mike Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > More thoughts:
      > >
      > > I used to set the sprocket-side cone at 3/8 turn and decided that was higher
      > drag than 1/2 turn minimum.
      > >
      > > I believe the thrust washer was there to give lower friction between the spring
      > and the driver - the cone end of the spring turns at a different rotational velocity
      > than the driver end in all but direct drive. There are several variants of the assembly
      > at the clutch end of the spring; I do not believe it is critical.
      > >
      > > I am just an amateur home-mechanic and owner/user of S.A. hubs. Hilary Stone probably has a lot more experience than I do.
      > >

      > > Michael Wilson

    • Mike Wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2011
        Lowest 2 gears of the FM are using the low gear pawls which are on the left side. Noise probably not closely related to the right hand cone adjustment, but a measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions.

        I gave up on my FM hub because I broke the low gear pawl race off of several left ball cups. My guess is that I could have made it work if I had used a steel threaded hub shell from the 50s and used something as a shim support between the ball cup and the shell, but I did not think of that until many years later.

        In the early 90s I converted to an S5 with 4th gear as level road; one of the dual pull-chain sculpted aluminum shell S5s that was unused but 10 or 15 years old. That worked really excellently - probably the most successful IGH bike/hub I have ever owned. Still works but not been in front-line service for about 8 years.