Sturmey S2 1st ride

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2011
      Finally laced up my Sturmey S2 hub and took it for a spin. I think
      I'm going to like it a lot once I get the gearing sorted. Not a fan
      of coaster brakes so it was worth the wait.

      I didn't notice increased power loss in high, but I still wish it was
      an under-drive like the original S2s

      I'll need to ride it more to get consistent on the shifting.

      Even with semi-fluid grease it clicks rather loudly when
      coasting. Must have big pawls and/or stronger springs. Noise means
      positive engagement, so doesn't bother me.

      I expected to find the 38% jump to be too wide. Time and miles may
      change my mind but it seems OK so far.

      I put it in my '76 Raleigh Super Course MkII which I had been running
      as a single speed. As an SS the gear was 43-21 for 55 gear inches.
      (Why so low? A. I'm old and slow. B. With 153mm cranks I can spin
      quite well.)

      Changing the rear cog to a 24 gives 48/67 inches. Too high for me,
      at least till my knee gets better.

      Tomorrow I'll change the gearing to 39/24 or 44/60.5 inches and
      report back after I have some real miles on the bike.

      I'll be selling my S3X. After 33 years without a fixed gear I
      can't break myself of standing and coasting over potholes. And this
      spring our roads are the worst I've ever seen.

      Mark Stonich;
      BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
      5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
      Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
    • Dan Burkhart
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2011
        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@...> wrote:

        > Finally laced up my Sturmey S2 hub and took it for a spin. I think
        > I'm going to like it a lot once I get the gearing sorted. Not a fan
        > of coaster brakes so it was worth the wait.
        >
        > I didn't notice increased power loss in high, but I still wish it was
        > an under-drive like the original S2s
        >
        > I'll need to ride it more to get consistent on the shifting.
        >
        > Even with semi-fluid grease it clicks rather loudly when
        > coasting. Must have big pawls and/or stronger springs. Noise means
        > positive engagement, so doesn't bother me.
        >
        > I expected to find the 38% jump to be too wide. Time and miles may
        > change my mind but it seems OK so far.
        >
        > I put it in my '76 Raleigh Super Course MkII which I had been running
        > as a single speed. As an SS the gear was 43-21 for 55 gear inches.
        > (Why so low? A. I'm old and slow. B. With 153mm cranks I can spin
        > quite well.)
        >
        > Changing the rear cog to a 24 gives 48/67 inches. Too high for me,
        > at least till my knee gets better.
        >
        > Tomorrow I'll change the gearing to 39/24 or 44/60.5 inches and
        > report back after I have some real miles on the bike.
        >
        > I'll be selling my S3X. After 33 years without a fixed gear I
        > can't break myself of standing and coasting over potholes. And this
        > spring our roads are the worst I've ever seen.
        >
        > Mark Stonich;
        > BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
        > 5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
        > Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com

        I geared mine 33/22 on 26x 1.35 tires for a low gear of 37.5. Seems to be just about right for my purposes. It's not meant to be a speed bike after all.
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2011
          [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Sturmey S2 1st ride
          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@...> wrote:
          > I'll need to ride it more to get consistent on the shifting.

          I think that I may have been backpedalling so far that I was shifting twice and ending up in the same gear.  Wouldn't be a issue with your S2C as you would apply the brake before backpedalling that far.  Now I go back 90 degrees and get consistent shifts.

          > Even with semi-fluid grease it clicks rather loudly when
          > coasting. Must have big pawls and/or stronger springs. Noise means
          > positive engagement, so doesn't bother me.

          MUCH louder when coasting in OD than direct.  I live in a noisy urban area so I can't tell if there is pawl overrun noise when pedalling.

          At 1:54 AM +0000 4/9/11, Dan Burkhart wrote:
           I geared mine 33/22 on 26x 1.35 tires for a low gear of 37.5. Seems to be just about right for my purposes.

          I have a road crank on the bike or I'd go to 36/24 on 27 x 1-1/4" tires.  This would give me the same ratio in OD that I had as an SS.  I think my current 39/24, with OD 9% higher than my SS gear, would be perfect if my knee wasn't acting up.

           It's not meant to be a speed bike after all.

          Mine sorta is.  Nice and light, dropped bars and a Brooks Pro.  It would scoot right along with a fit rider.

          What I loved about the bike as a single speed was that the bike required almost no thought, leaving 99.7% of my few still functioning brain cells to appreciate the ride.  Now I'm thinking more about the bike as I ride.  Hopefully this is just because the hub is new.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10, 2011
            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mark Stonich <mark@...> wrote:

            > >--- In
            > ><mailto:Geared_hub_bikes%40yahoogroups.com>Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com,
            > >Mark Stonich <mark@> wrote:
            > > > I'll need to ride it more to get consistent on the shifting.
            >
            > I think that I may have been backpedalling so far that I was shifting
            > twice and ending up in the same gear. Wouldn't be a issue with your
            > S2C as you would apply the brake before backpedalling that far. Now
            > I go back 90 degrees and get consistent shifts.
            >

            > Mark Stonich;
            > BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
            > 5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
            > Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com

            I'm curious to know how far you can backpedal the non coaster brake model. is there a hard stop at some point, or can you keep reverse pedalling indeffinately?
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 10, 2011

              >I'm curious to know how far you can backpedal the non coaster brake
              >model. is there a hard stop at some point,

              Not that I've noticed.

              > or can you keep reverse pedalling indeffinately?

              It seems so but I haven't continuously backpedalled for several full
              revolutions