Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Drum brakes and cable pull

  • Simon Boddy
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hi Mike,
      The experts will correct me, but I don't think anything much has changed with these drum brakes in quite some time. When you say "not enough cable pull", what concretely was the problem? If you can adjust the cable so the wheel turns freely but you can't squeeze the lever all the way to the handlebar, then you have sufficient cable pull. It's hard to imagine a road lever and drum brake where this is impossible. Perhaps the brake had other problems? Perhaps there was play in the cable run ? If the drum brake was at the rear, the brake will feel spongier due to stretch in the cable. Drum brakes are further away than rim brakes! Anyway, enough effort solving a problem on a bike that no longer exists :-)

      Simon

      On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Mike Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:

      Does this mean that the modern S.A. drum brakes have a different amount of cable pull than the ones from 15 and 30 and 45 years ago?

      For me, those did not work well with a conventional road bike brake lever - not enough cable pull. They could be made to work with a Mafac lever but a Weinmann did not.

      Michael Wilson

    • palatine_ej
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
        > The experts will correct me, but I don't think anything much has changed with these drum brakes in quite some time.

        I have a set of steel 70mm drum brake hubs from the 70's, a set of Al 70mm drums from early 80's and several Al 70mm drums from 2003 and 2010. All appear to have the same shoe/actuator and brake arm length.
      • Mike Wilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
          My problem exactly - I could not adjust the cable so that it did not rub and actually stopped the bike. I could pull the brake lever to the handlebar if I adjusted the cable for no rub.

          I have used S.A. drum brakes on several different bikes and have not been happy. But as I say that was years ago.

          Michael Wilson
        • Rich W
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
            If anything like the old motorcycle drum brakes I remember from Triumph and BMW motorcycles then those were not worth a damn until well bedded in so that the shoes matched the drums. Until that happened you could not get decent operation of the brakes.

            Rich Wood

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "palatine_ej" <danstrom@...> wrote:

            > > The experts will correct me, but I don't think anything much has changed with these drum brakes in quite some time.
            >
            > I have a set of steel 70mm drum brake hubs from the 70's, a set of Al 70mm drums from early 80's and several Al 70mm drums from 2003 and 2010. All appear to have the same shoe/actuator and brake arm length.

          • shwinnsta
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2011
              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

              > If anything like the old motorcycle drum brakes I remember from Triumph and BMW motorcycles then those were not worth a damn until well bedded in so that the shoes matched the drums. Until that happened you could not get decent operation of the brakes.

              That was my experience with the SA.