SA hub pics

  • brandon
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 15, 2008
      hey everyone just put more pics of sturmey archer hubs on there.

      Brandon.
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 15, 2008
        Brandon;

        Great old advertiing pictures. I note that the one you labeled as an
        ASC ad states in the photo that it is showing the AB/C hub however.
        The ASC was a very different hub. Two articles on the ASC, including
        an exploded diagram as I recall, are available on the Harris Cyclery
        web site. I have a link to one of the articles in the Links area.
        The article has a link to the other article too.

        The Harris Cyclery web site also has an article on converting an AW to
        a 2 speed fixed gear hub if you feel adventurous.

        Either you have quite an archive of old Brit bicycling magazines or
        have been downloading from the SA Heritage web site it appears.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
        <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

        > hey everyone just put more pics of sturmey archer hubs on there.
        >
        > Brandon.

      • brandon
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 15, 2008
          Thank you Rich i dont have some old brit cycling magazines but i wish
          i did!
          I found those pics on flickr and Google images hard to find old ads
          but i managed.
          a 2 speed would be interesting i have already made a 2 speed by just
          shortening the cable and if i really wanted to be tricky i could make
          a two speed shifter out of a three speed shifter and trick everyone by
          saying my hub is a rare 40s two speed.(i might try that)
          anyway i don't know about Cadillac bikes have you tried Google?

          Brandon.

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 15, 2008
            Brandon;

            If you have not visited this site check it out. Lots of
            downloadable SA information, catalogs and advertisements.

            http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/history.php

            You should find it a goldmine of SA information from 1902 to 2006.
            It is also listed in the Links area.

            I googled Cadillac bikes but no real hard info noted on actual
            quality.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 16, 2008
              Brandon;

              The conversion I referred to converts the AW to a 2 speed and
              eliminates the freewheel capability. Makes it a 2 speed track style
              bike. If you have never tried a fixed gear bike without a freewheel
              then you should. A different riding experience as your legs must
              keep moving as long as the bike is doing so. It is how all bicycles
              were prior to the development of the freewheel in about 1898. Fixed
              gear bikes are quite popular in Reno and other cities in the U.S.
              currently. Help get your spin rate up too.

              Here is the link to the article.

              http://sheldonbrown.com/awfixed.html

              BTW there is a new folder in the Files area with cutaway and
              exploded drawings of the ASC hub if you are interested. The folder
              is "Sturmey Archer".

              <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

              > Thank you Rich i dont have some old brit cycling magazines but i
              wish
              > i did!
              > I found those pics on flickr and Google images hard to find old ads
              > but i managed.
              > a 2 speed would be interesting i have already made a 2 speed by
              just
              > shortening the cable and if i really wanted to be tricky i could
              make
              > a two speed shifter out of a three speed shifter and trick
              everyone by
              > saying my hub is a rare 40s two speed.(i might try that)
              > anyway i don't know about Cadillac bikes have you tried Google?
              >
              > Brandon.
              >

              > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
              > <astronut1001@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Brandon;
              > >
              > > Great old advertiing pictures. I note that the one you labeled
              as an
              > > ASC ad states in the photo that it is showing the AB/C hub
              however.
              > > The ASC was a very different hub. Two articles on the ASC,
              including
              > > an exploded diagram as I recall, are available on the Harris
              Cyclery
              > > web site. I have a link to one of the articles in the Links
              area.
              > > The article has a link to the other article too.
              > >
              > > The Harris Cyclery web site also has an article on converting an
              AW to
              > > a 2 speed fixed gear hub if you feel adventurous.
              > >
              > > Either you have quite an archive of old Brit bicycling magazines
              or
              > > have been downloading from the SA Heritage web site it appears.
              > >
              > > Rich Wood

            • brandon
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 17, 2008
                Sheldon browns articles are really good i have read some of them
                i should try that hub conversion. did sturmey archer make any low
                ratio (big sprocket) Hubs? as you can see in my first photo album
                i have two pics of my mystery sprocket on my hub do you think its
                original i bought the hub about 2yrs ago i know its sturmey archer but
                has rust were the date is i think its a AW hub i cannot get that rust
                of the hub shell.

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 17, 2008
                  Brandon;

                  Not sure. On hubs overall ratios are determined by the choices of
                  chain ring and hub input sprocket as well as internal ratios. Gear
                  hubs do have input torque limits. Smaller chainrings and/or larger
                  input sprockets raise the torque a gear hub is subjected to.

                  Per Sheldon Brown's SA characteristics listing the AW was about the
                  widest range 3 speed SA made. Too large an input sprocket combined
                  with a standard size range chain ring could damage a hub if the
                  rider is a real masher.

                  Rohloff is quite specific that the Speedhub must not have a
                  chainwheel to input sprocket ratio of less than 2.35 to 1 or for
                  example a 38 tooth chainring and 16 tooth input sprocket.

                  Acording to SRAM the limit on minimum ratio for the iMotion9 is 1.73
                  or a 38/22 chainring/sprocket combo. My installation manual for the
                  old Sachs 7 speed specifies a 1.9 ratio minimum.

                  I have not found such info for SA or Shimano hubs but expect it
                  exists. Probably provided to bike manufacturers who fit them.

                  Take a close look at the large sprocket on that SA hub. Is it flat
                  or dished and how many teeth? Shimano has made casette sprockets up
                  to 34 teeth as I recall and these are fairly easily modified so that
                  they will fit most current SA, Sachs/Sram and Shimano gear hubs I
                  have read. If it is flat then it may be a modified casette
                  sprocket. With careful machining and hand fitting other freewheel
                  sprockets might be used too. At one time Suntour made a 38 tooth
                  freewheel sprocket.

                  Also when SA hubs were common on English bikes there may well have
                  been aftermarket manufacturers of accessories for them that could be
                  fitted. Any stamped ID on the sprocket or is it too rusty to tell?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 17, 2008
                    Brandon;

                    Seeing as how SA sprockets are interchangeable I doubt if they
                    delivered any with large sprockets, though a dealer or user could
                    change to whatever they wished depending on availability.

                    Harris Cyclery lists SA and/or Shimano sprockets from 14 up to 23
                    teeth currently. All will fit the 1950's and later SA Hubs except
                    the 8 speed. Near as I could tell from your photo the sprocket on
                    your hub is about a 26 tooth one. Never seen such a sprocket
                    mentioned for a geared hub but see my earlier posted comment on
                    possible aftermarket items or converting Shimano freehub sprockets.

                    I have seen mention that two other designs of sprockets were used by
                    SA in the past, not compatible with the current design.

                    Except for Rohloff, SA 8 speed and the briefly made Sachs 12 speed
                    hub all current hubs from SA, SRAM and Shimano use the same design
                    of interchangeable input sprockets. Per my understanding the only
                    difference, other than number of teeth offered by each manufacturer,
                    is that SA sprockets require 1/8" chain while Shimano and SRAM
                    sprockets can use either 3/32" or 1/8" chain.

                    <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

                    > Sheldon browns articles are really good i have read some of them
                    > i should try that hub conversion. did sturmey archer make any low
                    > ratio (big sprocket) Hubs? as you can see in my first photo album
                    > i have two pics of my mystery sprocket on my hub do you think its
                    > original i bought the hub about 2yrs ago i know its sturmey archer
                    but
                    > has rust were the date is i think its a AW hub i cannot get that
                    rust
                    > of the hub shell.
                    >
                    > Brandon.
                    >

                    > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
                    > <astronut1001@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Brandon;
                    > >
                    > > The conversion I referred to converts the AW to a 2 speed and
                    > > eliminates the freewheel capability. Makes it a 2 speed track
                    style
                    > > bike. If you have never tried a fixed gear bike without a
                    freewheel
                    > > then you should. A different riding experience as your legs
                    must
                    > > keep moving as long as the bike is doing so. It is how all
                    bicycles
                    > > were prior to the development of the freewheel in about 1898.
                    Fixed
                    > > gear bikes are quite popular in Reno and other cities in the
                    U.S.
                    > > currently. Help get your spin rate up too.
                    > >
                    > > Here is the link to the article.
                    > >
                    > > http://sheldonbrown.com/awfixed.html
                    > >
                    > > BTW there is a new folder in the Files area with cutaway and
                    > > exploded drawings of the ASC hub if you are interested. The
                    folder
                    > > is "Sturmey Archer".
                    > >
                    > > Rich Wood
                    > >

                    > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
                    > > <rogersbrandon96@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Thank you Rich i dont have some old brit cycling magazines but
                    > > wish
                    > > > i did!
                    > > > I found those pics on flickr and Google images hard to find
                    old ads
                    > > > but i managed.
                    > > > a 2 speed would be interesting i have already made a 2 speed
                    by
                    > > just
                    > > > shortening the cable and if i really wanted to be tricky i
                    could
                    > > make
                    > > > a two speed shifter out of a three speed shifter and trick
                    > > everyone by
                    > > > saying my hub is a rare 40s two speed.(i might try that)
                    > > > anyway i don't know about Cadillac bikes have you tried Google?
                    > > >
                    > > > Brandon.
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

                    > > as an
                    > > however.
                    > > including
                    > > Cyclery
                    > > area.

                    > > AW to

                    > > or

                  • brandon
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 18, 2008
                      Thanks Rich my hub is 1950s/1960s and the sprocket is (i am
                      positive) original so it must be pretty rare don't you think?
                      it is the same chain width size as my other SA hub sprockets and the
                      sprocket is in the same condition as the hub.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 18, 2008
                        Brandon;

                        Sounds rare to me though if you can find a parts manual from the
                        correct era you may find that SA offered a wider range of input
                        sprockets than they currently do. Back then British bikes with 3
                        speed hubs were being exported around the world, including to
                        countries with mostly poor to nonexistent paved roads. SA could
                        well have offered input sprockets to provide the very low gearing
                        needed for such conditions. Kind of an attempt at early off road
                        bikes. Early British mountain bikes ;-)

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 18, 2008
                          Brandon;

                          Per the 1952 Sturmey Archer Trade Parts Catalog I found on the
                          Sturmey Archer Heritage web site SA offered 14 through 20 tooth 3
                          spline sprockets during that time. They may have had other sizes
                          as 'export only" items or, as I speculated earlier, the sprocket
                          could well be from a non SA accessory maker and fitted by a dealer
                          at the time of the original bike's sale or by the owner. Presumably
                          a rare item.

                          Also rare, but listed in the catalog, would be 12 spline sprockets
                          and threaded sprockets as used on certain specialty and older hubs.

                          Rich Wood