Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Best 5,7,8 speed IGH with focus on durability?

  • tomatocity
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
      "oil dip" is this what it sounds like or...?

      On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM, cerberus 900 <cerberus900@...> wrote:

      I would recommend the Shimano 8 speed of your choice. These hubs are
      the most overbuilt of any other than the rohloff, and the basic design
      has been through more improvements than I can count. They are the only
      large gear hub that you have any hope of finding small parts for at
      your LBS. They are also the only non-rohloff gear hubs that have a
      proven track record of off-road use. Oil dip the hub once a year and
      keep an eye on the cable adjustment and you could easily get 20 years
      of use out of one. And you get a real (if not ideal) choice of
      shifters.

      --
      --Cerb

    • Rich W
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
        Oiling instructions are available on the Shimano web site.

        http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50lparsys-0014-downloadFile.html/07)%20Maintenance%20Oil.pdf

        or

        http://tinyurl.com/2bnes6v

        Rich Wood