Re: Sturmey Archer and Bicycle Photos

  • brandon
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
      If i find a ASC hub your going to be the First to know
      and i have a range of bikes, 6 with derailleurs about 2 BMXs and some
      old single speeds.
      I think i have about 30 bikes and a couple projects.

      i am not lying i will take some pics to prove it when i tell people i
      have about 30 bikes they say yeah right! or bulls*$t so you can belive
      me or not but i should open a bike shop!

      I do local repairs but no repairs on rare bikes just new ones.

      most of my bicycles that have derailleurs are at the most 20yrs old.

      Thanks Rich

      Brandon.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
      <astronut1001@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I know of a Dawes available locally cheap with cottered cranks and
      > period derailleur setup, probably from the 1960s. Definitely needs
      > refinishing as the finish is shot. Looks like it spent some winters
      > out in the weather. I may get it to convert to gear hub or single
      > speed. Dawes frames of that era are supposed to be good, and
      > comfortable riding, but they were generally fitted with lower end
      > components I have read.
      >
      > I have a 1950s Sturmey Archer AW that would be appropriate to the
      > Dawes but being an older fart I prefer wider overall gear ratios.
      >
      > Keep an eye out locally for a SA ASC hub. This is a very rare bird
      > I understand. It was a fixed gear 3 speed close ratio hub. No
      > freewheel provided but it did allow 3 ratios in fixed gear mode. I
      > understand they bring healthy amounts on ebay when listed there. If
      > you find one or more in working condition I would be interested too.
      >
      > Rich Wood
      >

      > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
      > <rogersbrandon96@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Well rich all of my 15 hubs work 10 of them are on various bikes of
      > > mine and the other five are for..... not to sure i just like inner
      > > geared hubs!
      > > i have two more SA hubs but i have them pulled apart for spares
      > and so
      > > on where i live there is a lot of old bikes so it isnt too hard
      > > finding a hub but parts like you said are pretty rare i do have
      > out of
      > > those fifteen mentioned 3 shimano hubs and spares the older 1970s
      > > model not the nexus shimano and the rest are Sturmey archer hubs.
      > > My oldest is a 1940s 2 speed its hiding somewhere in my shed and my
      > > newest hub is a 1987 AW model.
      > >
      > > Brandon.
      > >

      > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
      > > <astronut1001@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Roger;
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for the old SA and bicycle advertisement photos. Based
      > on
      > > > the ladys clothing and hair looks like the one bike advertising
      > > > photo is from the 1920s. Other members should check them out.
      > > >
      > > > BTW if you want to upload higher resolution photos of anything
      > then
      > > > they can be uploaded to the Files area. Yahoo does not resize
      > > > photos uploaded to the Files area as it does to those uploaded
      > > > the Photos area. Not too large though as some of us still use
      > dial-
      > > > up internet connections.
      > > >
      > > > Under 5 pounds seems cheap for the bike but you have to remember
      > > > that at the time that was $25 or a couple of weeks wages minimum
      > for
      > > > many working class people, maybe more in England.
      > > >
      > > > You mentioned your collection includes 15 gear hubs. What
      > models
      > > > and how many are in working condition? I understand that parts
      > are
      > > > very scarce for some of the older models of SA hubs.

    • kyhumble
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
        Rich,

        There is an ASC hub on ebay right now. It has a reserve of $275.
        There is only one day left.

        Thank you for starting this group.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
          Steve;

          Thanks for the heads up. A bit more than I would want to pay
          considering parts are no longer available and Sunrace is supposedly
          working on a new version 3 speed fixed gear hub. If I get something
          like that I want it for use rather than as a collectors item.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "kyhumble" <kyhumble@...>