Re: Sturmey Archer and Bicycle Photos

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
      Brandon;

      Sounds like you have a real shortage of bikes ;-) Any derailleur
      ones? My oldest bike so far is a Colnago with Campy Super Record
      gruppo from the early 1980s era as near as I can tell. So I do have
      derailleur bikes too.

      I know of a Dawes available locally cheap with cottered cranks and
      period derailleur setup, probably from the 1960s. Definitely needs
      refinishing as the finish is shot. Looks like it spent some winters
      out in the weather. I may get it to convert to gear hub or single
      speed. Dawes frames of that era are supposed to be good, and
      comfortable riding, but they were generally fitted with lower end
      components I have read.

      I have a 1950s Sturmey Archer AW that would be appropriate to the
      Dawes but being an older fart I prefer wider overall gear ratios.

      Keep an eye out locally for a SA ASC hub. This is a very rare bird
      I understand. It was a fixed gear 3 speed close ratio hub. No
      freewheel provided but it did allow 3 ratios in fixed gear mode. I
      understand they bring healthy amounts on ebay when listed there. If
      you find one or more in working condition I would be interested too.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
      <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

      > Well rich all of my 15 hubs work 10 of them are on various bikes of
      > mine and the other five are for..... not to sure i just like inner
      > geared hubs!
      > i have two more SA hubs but i have them pulled apart for spares
      and so
      > on where i live there is a lot of old bikes so it isnt too hard
      > finding a hub but parts like you said are pretty rare i do have
      out of
      > those fifteen mentioned 3 shimano hubs and spares the older 1970s
      > model not the nexus shimano and the rest are Sturmey archer hubs.
      > My oldest is a 1940s 2 speed its hiding somewhere in my shed and my
      > newest hub is a 1987 AW model.
      >
      > Brandon.
      >

      > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
      > <astronut1001@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Roger;
      > >
      > > Thanks for the old SA and bicycle advertisement photos. Based
      on
      > > the ladys clothing and hair looks like the one bike advertising
      > > photo is from the 1920s. Other members should check them out.
      > >
      > > BTW if you want to upload higher resolution photos of anything
      then
      > > they can be uploaded to the Files area. Yahoo does not resize
      > > photos uploaded to the Files area as it does to those uploaded
      > > the Photos area. Not too large though as some of us still use
      dial-
      > > up internet connections.
      > >
      > > Under 5 pounds seems cheap for the bike but you have to remember
      > > that at the time that was $25 or a couple of weeks wages minimum
      for
      > > many working class people, maybe more in England.
      > >
      > > You mentioned your collection includes 15 gear hubs. What
      models
      > > and how many are in working condition? I understand that parts
      are
      > > very scarce for some of the older models of SA hubs.
      > >
      > > Rich Wood

    • brandon
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
        If i find a ASC hub your going to be the First to know
        and i have a range of bikes, 6 with derailleurs about 2 BMXs and some
        old single speeds.
        I think i have about 30 bikes and a couple projects.

        i am not lying i will take some pics to prove it when i tell people i
        have about 30 bikes they say yeah right! or bulls*$t so you can belive
        me or not but i should open a bike shop!

        I do local repairs but no repairs on rare bikes just new ones.

        most of my bicycles that have derailleurs are at the most 20yrs old.

        Thanks Rich

        <astronut1001@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > >
        > > > BTW if you want to upload higher resolution photos of anything
        > then
        > > > they can be uploaded to the Files area. Yahoo does not resize
        > > > photos uploaded to the Files area as it does to those uploaded
        > > > the Photos area. Not too large though as some of us still use
        > dial-
        > > > up internet connections.
        > > >
        > > > Under 5 pounds seems cheap for the bike but you have to remember
        > > > that at the time that was $25 or a couple of weeks wages minimum
        > for
        > > > many working class people, maybe more in England.
        > > >
        > > > You mentioned your collection includes 15 gear hubs. What
        > models
        > > > and how many are in working condition? I understand that parts
        > are
        > > > very scarce for some of the older models of SA hubs.

      • kyhumble
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
          Rich,

          There is an ASC hub on ebay right now. It has a reserve of $275.
          There is only one day left.

          Thank you for starting this group.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
            Steve;

            Thanks for the heads up. A bit more than I would want to pay
            considering parts are no longer available and Sunrace is supposedly
            working on a new version 3 speed fixed gear hub. If I get something
            like that I want it for use rather than as a collectors item.

            Rich Wood

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "kyhumble" <kyhumble@...>