Sturmey Archer and Bicycle Photos

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
      Roger;

      Thanks for the old SA and bicycle advertisement photos. Based on
      the ladys clothing and hair looks like the one bike advertising
      photo is from the 1920s. Other members should check them out.

      BTW if you want to upload higher resolution photos of anything then
      they can be uploaded to the Files area. Yahoo does not resize
      photos uploaded to the Files area as it does to those uploaded to
      the Photos area. Not too large though as some of us still use dial-
      up internet connections.

      Under 5 pounds seems cheap for the bike but you have to remember
      that at the time that was $25 or a couple of weeks wages minimum for
      many working class people, maybe more in England.

      You mentioned your collection includes 15 gear hubs. What models
      and how many are in working condition? I understand that parts are
      very scarce for some of the older models of SA hubs.

      Rich Wood
    • brandon
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
        Well rich all of my 15 hubs work 10 of them are on various bikes of
        mine and the other five are for..... not to sure i just like inner
        geared hubs!
        i have two more SA hubs but i have them pulled apart for spares and so
        on where i live there is a lot of old bikes so it isnt too hard
        finding a hub but parts like you said are pretty rare i do have out of
        those fifteen mentioned 3 shimano hubs and spares the older 1970s
        model not the nexus shimano and the rest are Sturmey archer hubs.
        My oldest is a 1940s 2 speed its hiding somewhere in my shed and my
        newest hub is a 1987 AW model.

        Brandon.

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
          Brandon;

          Sounds like you have a real shortage of bikes ;-) Any derailleur
          ones? My oldest bike so far is a Colnago with Campy Super Record
          gruppo from the early 1980s era as near as I can tell. So I do have
          derailleur bikes too.

          I know of a Dawes available locally cheap with cottered cranks and
          period derailleur setup, probably from the 1960s. Definitely needs
          refinishing as the finish is shot. Looks like it spent some winters
          out in the weather. I may get it to convert to gear hub or single
          speed. Dawes frames of that era are supposed to be good, and
          comfortable riding, but they were generally fitted with lower end
          components I have read.

          I have a 1950s Sturmey Archer AW that would be appropriate to the
          Dawes but being an older fart I prefer wider overall gear ratios.

          Keep an eye out locally for a SA ASC hub. This is a very rare bird
          I understand. It was a fixed gear 3 speed close ratio hub. No
          freewheel provided but it did allow 3 ratios in fixed gear mode. I
          understand they bring healthy amounts on ebay when listed there. If
          you find one or more in working condition I would be interested too.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
          <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

          > Well rich all of my 15 hubs work 10 of them are on various bikes of
          > mine and the other five are for..... not to sure i just like inner
          > geared hubs!
          > i have two more SA hubs but i have them pulled apart for spares
          and so
          > on where i live there is a lot of old bikes so it isnt too hard
          > finding a hub but parts like you said are pretty rare i do have
          out of
          > those fifteen mentioned 3 shimano hubs and spares the older 1970s
          > model not the nexus shimano and the rest are Sturmey archer hubs.
          > My oldest is a 1940s 2 speed its hiding somewhere in my shed and my
          > newest hub is a 1987 AW model.
          >
          > Brandon.
          >

          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
          > <astronut1001@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Roger;
          > >
          > > Thanks for the old SA and bicycle advertisement photos. Based
          on
          > > the ladys clothing and hair looks like the one bike advertising
          > > photo is from the 1920s. Other members should check them out.
          > >
          > > BTW if you want to upload higher resolution photos of anything
          then
          > > they can be uploaded to the Files area. Yahoo does not resize
          > > photos uploaded to the Files area as it does to those uploaded
          > > the Photos area. Not too large though as some of us still use
          dial-
          > > up internet connections.
          > >
          > > Under 5 pounds seems cheap for the bike but you have to remember
          > > that at the time that was $25 or a couple of weeks wages minimum
          for
          > > many working class people, maybe more in England.
          > >
          > > You mentioned your collection includes 15 gear hubs. What
          models
          > > and how many are in working condition? I understand that parts
          are
          > > very scarce for some of the older models of SA hubs.
          > >
          > > Rich Wood

        • brandon
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
            If i find a ASC hub your going to be the First to know
            and i have a range of bikes, 6 with derailleurs about 2 BMXs and some
            old single speeds.
            I think i have about 30 bikes and a couple projects.

            i am not lying i will take some pics to prove it when i tell people i
            have about 30 bikes they say yeah right! or bulls*$t so you can belive
            me or not but i should open a bike shop!

            I do local repairs but no repairs on rare bikes just new ones.

            most of my bicycles that have derailleurs are at the most 20yrs old.

            Thanks Rich

            <astronut1001@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > BTW if you want to upload higher resolution photos of anything
            > then
            > > > they can be uploaded to the Files area. Yahoo does not resize
            > > > photos uploaded to the Files area as it does to those uploaded
            > > > the Photos area. Not too large though as some of us still use
            > dial-
            > > > up internet connections.
            > > >
            > > > Under 5 pounds seems cheap for the bike but you have to remember
            > > > that at the time that was $25 or a couple of weeks wages minimum
            > for
            > > > many working class people, maybe more in England.
            > > >
            > > > You mentioned your collection includes 15 gear hubs. What
            > models
            > > > and how many are in working condition? I understand that parts
            > are
            > > > very scarce for some of the older models of SA hubs.

          • kyhumble
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
              Rich,

              There is an ASC hub on ebay right now. It has a reserve of $275.
              There is only one day left.

              Thank you for starting this group.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
                Steve;

                Thanks for the heads up. A bit more than I would want to pay
                considering parts are no longer available and Sunrace is supposedly
                working on a new version 3 speed fixed gear hub. If I get something
                like that I want it for use rather than as a collectors item.

                Rich Wood

                --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "kyhumble" <kyhumble@...>