Re: S7 Cable pull

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2010
      Thanks Dan. The information you provided is now incorporated in the cable pull information file in the Files area, with credit to you.

      Another one just reported by TCS on BF is the following:

      Sturmey-Archer 8: 34.5mm total pull in seven even steps.

      The SRAM 7 speed hub is the first one I have run across, other than 3 speed chain pull hubs, with variable cable pull between the different gears. I would suspect that might also be the case for SA single cable 5 speed hubs but I have not seen any information on those yet. Any volunteers?

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Burkhart" <boomer5319@...> wrote:

      > Yesterday, I posted my measurements of the S7 shifter cable pull increments.
      > On double checking my work, I found some innacuracies. I tried to post a correction in the same thread, but for some reason I could not.
      > A more careful re-do yielded these results.
      > 1 to 2- 5.39
      > 2 to 3- 6.76
      > 3 to 4- 5.93
      > 4 to 5- 9.02
      > 5 to 6- 7.60
      > 6 to 7- 9.02
      > total-43.72
      > Measuring the overall total, I get 43.53 which is pretty darn close to the total of individual increments.
      > That's how I noticed my error the first time around, the two overall measurements were too far off.

    • Alex Wetmore
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2010
        From: Rich [astronut1001@...]
        > The SRAM 7 speed hub is the first one I have run across, other than 3
        > speed chain pull hubs, with variable cable pull between the different gears.

        It is true for the SRAM i9 and Shimano 9sp derailleur shifters too. I documented that in a post in this same thread.

        alex
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2010
          I know cable pull is non linear for indexed derailleur shifters but my measurements of the iM9 shifter done a year or so ago indicated that it's cable pull was linear. I will have to recheck my results and see how they compare with yours.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Alex Wetmore <alex@...> wrote:

          > From: Rich [astronut1001@...]
          > > The SRAM 7 speed hub is the first one I have run across, other than 3
          > > speed chain pull hubs, with variable cable pull between the different gears.
          >
          > It is true for the SRAM i9 and Shimano 9sp derailleur shifters too. I documented that in a post in this same thread.
          >
          > alex

        • Alex Wetmore
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
            From: Rich [astronut1001@...]
            > I know cable pull is non linear for indexed derailleur shifters but my
            > measurements of the iM9 shifter done a year or so ago indicated that
            > it's cable pull was linear. I will have to recheck my results and see
            > how they compare with yours.

            Please share your measurement technique too. It can only help others who want to measure the cable pull of their favorite shifters in the future.

            I have 2 i9 shifters and can measure both if your measurements disagree with mine. One of us might have an outlier.

            alex
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2010
              IIRC my technique was pretty crude. I basically used a stretched out cable with a marker on it and a digital calipers. Trying to remember but I do not believe that I checked every shifter position so the new iM9 data is probably far better than mine.