AWC hub confusion and worry

  • Arthur
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2010
      I thought it looked simple enough to switch the cog size on my SA AWC hub. I got the wheel off okay, and I was trying to pry off the "circlip" with the screwdriver, as it says in the SA instructions, but there is an extra part that is NOT listed or described in the factory assembly instructions for the hub. It looks like it takes a special wrench and I could not get it to budge for anything. It holds in the circlip that I'm supposed to pry off with a screwdriver before I can get the cog off. Well, while I was working on getting off the mystery part in front of the circlip, the whole hub assembly fell out the other side of the hub and a few pieces rolled off. I didn't lose any pieces but now it looks like I have to put the whole thing back together again, and I STILL can't get the darn original cog off. I'm going to post a picture of the mystery part I have to remove to access the circlip.

      BTW, I did some reading and it seems that the British sometimes call a special wrench a "key", but when I did a search for hub "key" I found a part that doesn't remotely resemble a wrench. Confusion reigns. I'm broke so I'd rather do this myself than bring a bag of parts to a shop and pay goodness knows what for re-assembly.
    • Arthur Stout
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29, 2010
      Here are the pictures of the part I can't move.  What is it and how do I deal with it??

      Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2010
        Arthur;

        From your photos it looks to me like the item you are referring to is an integral part of the one piece driver the sprocket attaches to, the part with the 3 crescent shaped cutouts in it. The clip ring sits in a groove in it and needs to be pried over it as the part your arrow points to is not removable. Basically identical on SA, Shimano and Sachs/Sram hubs. Until you get used to removing and installing the retaining clip it can be a bit of a PITA. The clip, when it releases, can fly quite a distance too!

        Your hub appears to have a relatively wide spacer between the sprocket and the clip too.

        Rich Wood

        Message 4 of 4 , Aug 29, 2010

          Ahh!  Many thanks!  This was not obvious to me.  I'll take another look at it Monday.  :)