SA Thumb Shifter

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2010
      Has anyone tried the new SA Thumb shifter for the classic 3 speed hubs yet? I know the version for the S3X hub works well and looks good and am considering getting one of the standard cable pull versions for the right side shifting of my S5-2 in place of the current trigger shifter.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2010
        > Has anyone tried the new SA Thumb shifter for the classic 3 speed
        >hubs yet? I know the version for the S3X hub works well and looks
        >good and am considering getting one of the standard cable pull
        >versions for the right side shifting of my S5-2 in place of the
        >current trigger shifter.

        I'll be getting one of the bar ends and the mechanism is the same.
        I'll be using mine for the right side of an S5

        --

        Mark Stonich;
        BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2011
          Has anyone tried the current SA thumb shifter for the AW and related classic 3 speed hubs yet?

          Impressions and comments would be appreciated. I note that the price premium is substantial over the classic trigger shifter even though the mechanism is simpler it appears to me.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14, 2011
            > Has anyone tried the current SA thumb shifter for the AW and
            >related classic 3 speed hubs yet?

            Not yet. I have the bar end version which will eventually be used in
            conjunction with a SunTour BarCon on the left to operate an S5 on a
            road bike

            >Impressions and comments would be appreciated.

            The shifter for the S3X should be the same except for the amount of
            cable pulled and my S3X unit is very nice indeed. Mine is a bar end
            but I understand that the same mechanism is used for the thumb and
            downtube versions.

            > I note that the price premium is substantial over the classic
            >trigger shifter even though the mechanism is simpler it appears to
            >me.

            I haven't pulled one apart but I doubt it's simpler. And the
            trigger is mostly just stampings.

            --

            Mark Stonich;
            BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
            5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
            Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
          • ighexpert
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 22, 2011

              ask David Prossor the Sturmey-Archer/Sunrace USA rep. He is just one man so be patient! david@...