Re: Koga Signature Alfine 11 Allround

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
      > My friend double checked the article.
      > He reports that it would be more precise
      > to say "maintenance-free" instead of
      > "trouble-free".

      Please pass along our thanks for the translation to your friend!

      PJ
    • patoigo
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
        Will do. Some day soon, I'll get that Hungarian one translated too.

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
          I am not sure that "maintenance free" is accurate even if it is the correct translation. So far as I know the Alfine 11 will require regular oil changes just like the Rohloff hub does.

          One question still not answered by anything I have seen is whether or not the wheel bearings in the hub are inside the oil seals and lubricated by the internal oil reservoir or not. The Rohloff has those bearings oil reservoir lubricated which IMO is a major reason for it's extended life expectancy.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "patoigo" <ptoigo@...> wrote:

          > My friend double checked the article. He reports that it would be more precise to say "maintenance-free" instead of "trouble-free".
          >
          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <prester_john_in_cathay@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Here's a belated translation from my Dutch friend:
          > > > ...We will test this Koga thoroughly the
          > > > coming months. You can read the test report
          > > > in October's Bike & Trekking.
          > > >... and that is what makes this hub a very
          > > > interesting option for sportive riders, because
          > > > of the fact that it's trouble free.
          > >
          > > They're going to thoroughly test it in the future, but they've somehow already determined it will be trouble free? Or am I missing something in the translation?
          > >
          > > BTW & IMO at ~$600USD all up, it either needs to be trouble free or have much better parts support than current Shimano IGHs. A fault diagnosing chart that ends quickly in "replace internal mechanism" isn't going to endear such a costly hub to many.
          > >
          > > Meanwhile, a RUMOR posted on MTBR said the hub was delayed due to technical problems - but since Shimano has never officially announced a release of the Alfine 11, how could it be delayed? :)
          > >
          > > PJ

        • PDX Randonneur
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
            On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Tom <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

            > BTW & IMO at ~$600USD  all up, it either needs to be trouble free or have much better parts >support than current Shimano IGHs.  A fault diagnosing chart that ends quickly in "replace >internal mechanism" isn't going to endear such a costly hub to many.

            I find shimano's attitude towards parts replacement very irritating,
            but how many of us actually have a local mechanic that could even work
            on an Alfine 11 speed? And how much would that cost with bicycle
            mechanic rates near $1 a minute?

            The advantage of the replace-the-mechanism strategy is that it will
            fix the problem, whereas just replacing a single part depends on both
            the ability of the mechanic (how many do you know that you would trust
            with a hub like this?), and the hope that no other part is defective.
            It also allows shimano to see what went wrong and update future hubs
            to solve the problem.

            Which raises the question: Is this hub another beta-test like the 7
            speed nexus was? That would explain the lack of a unity gear.

            > Meanwhile, a RUMOR posted on MTBR said the hub was delayed due to technical problems -> but since Shimano has never officially announced a release of the Alfine 11, how could it be >delayed?  :)

            Shimano Japan has a page for it now:

            http://tinyurl.com/25estry

            Once again without google translate we would know next to nothing
            about this hub...

            --
            R.R.
          • PDX Randonneur
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
              On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:
              > I am not sure that "maintenance free" is accurate even if it is the correct translation.  So far >as I know the Alfine 11 will require regular oil changes just like the Rohloff hub does.
              >
              > One question still not answered by anything I have seen is whether or not the wheel bearings >in the hub are inside the oil seals and lubricated by the internal oil reservoir or not.  The >Rohloff has those bearings oil reservoir lubricated which IMO is a major reason for it's >extended life expectancy.

              From this photo:

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugojcardoso/4352191484/sizes/o/in/photostream/

              It looks like the bearings are in the oil bath and inside the seal. In
              any case they are not greased. Of course this is a demo hub not meant
              for actual use, so who knows...

              I never had any problems with the wheel bearings in my nexus 7 speed.
              After ten years of use they still looked brand new when cleaned. I
              suspect this is because the nexus hubs have a big fat solid axle that
              gets larger inside the hub, and as such is not subject to axle flex,
              which is the major reason for bearings failure in bicycle hubs. Being
              built like a payphone has its advantages.

              --
              R.R.
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 4, 2010
                Your link gave me the new roller brakes. I had to click on new components and choose the Alfine 11 hub to reach it.

                Rich Wood