An Old Nishiki Olympic

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2010
      Speaking of project bikes to keep busy on.

      I just put down a deposit at the local bike coop for an old Nishiki Olympic in my size, 58 Cm. Probably relatively low end as it has cottered cranks, steel rims, a 5 speed freewheel and Dia Compe center pull brakes. Also no tubing sticker that I could see. I suspect it is from the early 1970s. Once I get it home the serial number should provide more information. The rear dropouts on the frame do appear at a glance to be better than just stamped steel plate. Presumably a relatively low end LBS grade Japanese road bike from about 1973 or so.

      The chrome seems to be in pretty decent shape so it should clean up decently. I figure it will get a 5 speed SA or SRAM rear hub but retain the classic old crankset and brakes. I also might cold set the rear and go for a Shimano 7 speed hub with its even steps between gears. Never have tried one of those.