Three Speed IGH Performance Question

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2010
      Has any member tried out the current 3 speed hubs from SA, Shimano and SRAM?

      I know the Shimano and SRAM hubs have slightly greater spacing between gears than the Sturmey hubs but I am wondering whether any one has noticeably better shifting performance. I know Shimano claims some shifting enhancements are supposedly included in the SG-3D55 disc brake 3 speed hub and one member has reported that the SRAM iM3 hub has better shifting than other 3 speed hubs he has tried.

      There is also supposedly a Shimano 3C55 coaster brake hub which has apparently never made it out of Japan.

      Rich Wood
    • PDX Randonneur
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
        The Imotion has noticeably better shifting...when it is working. Mine
        is having issues with both shifting into 1st gear and staying in 3rd.
        How often do you really shift a 3 speed? I ride mine like a single
        speed most of the time.

        --
        R.R.

      • wahooncx@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
          I shift mine quite a bit but I live in a hilly area and I do get the occasional head wind. I have no clue on most of the current hubs... I have one nexus 7 speed and probably a dozen or so AW/G hubs and a couple of the older Shimano 3C hubs. The Nexus seems a bit "soft" on shifts compared to the AW. Parts availability on the SA hubs is excellent.

          Aaron

          From: PDX Randonneur <pdxrandonneur@...>
          Sender: Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:19:12 -0700
          To: <Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Three Speed IGH Performance Question

          The Imotion has noticeably better shifting...when it is working. Mine
          is having issues with both shifting into 1st gear and staying in 3rd.
          How often do you really shift a 3 speed? I ride mine like a single
          speed most of the time.

          --
          R.R.

          On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:
          > Has any member tried out the current 3 speed hubs from SA, Shimano and SRAM?
          >
          > I know the Shimano and SRAM hubs have slightly greater spacing between gears than the Sturmey hubs but I am wondering whether any one has noticeably better shifting performance.  I know Shimano claims some shifting enhancements are supposedly included in the SG-3D55 disc brake 3 speed hub and one member has reported that the SRAM iM3 hub has better shifting than other 3 speed hubs he has tried.
          >
          > There is also supposedly a Shimano 3C55 coaster brake hub which has apparently never made it out of Japan.

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
            > I know the Shimano and SRAM hubs have slightly
            > greater spacing between gears than the Sturmey
            > hubs but I am wondering whether any one has
            > noticeably better shifting performance.

            A poster named Keith Walker has made a number of 'net comments over the last year & a half complementing the shifting of the Sturmey-Archer RX-RD3 rotary gear selector hubs. I was waiting for availability of the RS-RF3 freewheel version before I bought one but who knows when that will be?

            PJ