Re: Sturmey archer question

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
      Brandon;

      I Googled Byron Bay and looked it up in my atlas. Looks like a
      resort town about 70 Km south of Surfers Paradise. The Google map
      also shows the surrounding towns. Which is yours? There is also a
      Wikipedia entry for Byron Bay I read. Sounds like a nice area.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
      <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

      > I couldn't agree more Rich and i live somewhere you haven't heard
      of so
      > i will say it is near Byron bay and its not outback terrain like
      most
      > movies show Australia its very nice here with the beach close and
      lots
      > of nice potholed roads .
      > and the weirdest thing is that on the riverbanks are bamboo so
      figure
      > that out [:-/]
      > anyway i haven't heard of the rohloff hub before i joined this
      group can
      > you put a pic of one on a bike i would like to see the setup.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
      <astronut1001@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Brandon;
      > >
      > > I am American and live in Reno, Nevada.
      > >
      > > SA does do an 8 speed hub though the gear range is wierd
      compared to
      > > Shimano, SRAM and Rohloff gear hubs.
      > >
      > > Derailleur gear trains are still lighter than the best high gear
      > > count hubs, particularly the top end derailleur gear trains using
      > > lots of carbon fiber and titanium in addition to aluminum.
      Remember
      > > that in a Tour bike price is not a consideration and they have
      > > really top mechanics going over each bike with a microscope on a
      > > daily basis.
      > >
      > > IMO the strengths of a gear hub, properly designed and made, are
      > > long term dependability and much less susceptiblity to the
      effects
      > > of mud, dust and bad weather. Also once initial cable stretch is
      > > out of the shifter cable they hold adjustment longer than
      > > derailleurs.
      > >
      > > Per the book Bicycling Science, and test figures on the Rohloff
      web
      > > site, the derailleur gear train is very slightly more efficient.
      > > This does vary however with the derailleur sprocket selection
      being
      > > used.
      > >
      > > A rear derailleur is very subject to damage from a fall or other
      > > impact from riding in rocky areas such as mountain bikers do
      > > routinely. The latest gear hubs from SRAM, Shimano and Rohloff
      do
      > > not have parts which protrude like a derailleur gear train does.
      > > This makes them much less susceptible to damage in my opinion.
      > >
      > > Thorn Bicycles in England makes some really high end adventure
      and
      > > touring bikes. Their designer is a strong proponent of the
      Rohloff
      > > hub. He has used it for rough road touring in Australia,
      Tasmania
      > > and in South America. Rides have included multiple trips over
      the
      > > Andes on dirt and gravel roads to altitudes close to 15,000 feet
      > > with no problems from the Rohloff hub. It seems to be virtually
      > > unbreakable. To me this is an area of use where a gear hub
      shines.

      > > Also better than derailleur gear trains for use in city riding
      and
      > > traffic due to the faster shifting and the ability to shift while
      > > stopped at traffic lights or other stops. Just more user
      friendly
      > > overall in this environment.
      > >
      > > Rich Wood
      > >

      > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
      > > rogersbrandon96@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > So Rich my hub is rare that's pretty good, thanks for that. so
      its
      > > > close ratio hub that's alright considering i got it of some old
      > > rim.
      > > > Are you American?, if so is sturmey archer popular over there
      > > because
      > > > Australian bikes eg: malvern stars were made with SA hubs up
      til
      > > the
      > > > 1990s and rare Bmx bikes have them too.
      > > > Do you have any more info of why they swapped to derailleurs
      when
      > > > there is so much more potential in inner geared hubs?
      > > >
      > > > I would love to see a SA 10 speed inner geared hub put into
      > > production
      > > > and put on a brand new road bike used for the tour De France
      that
      > > > would prove how superior the inner geared hub is to
      derailleurs!

      > > > Brandon.
      > > >

      > > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

      > > Sturmey
      Almost
      > > all

      > > kiwi
      > > sound

      > > and
      > > in
      > > Maillard,
      > > be

      > > and
      > > contacted

      > > so i

      > > front
      > > just
      > > bike
      > > the

      > > three
      > > after a

      > > range

      > > of
      > > been

      > > should
      > > knees.
      > > joints

      > > gear
      > > be
      > > can
      > > seems to

      > > first,
      > > high is
      > > years

      > > high
      > > around

      > > 300%
      > > an
      > > derailleur

      > > in

      > > 14
      Archer
      > > 8
      SRAM
      > > hub
      > > These
      > > greater

      > > steeper
      > > flat

      > > ratios.
      Archer 3
      > > there
      > > By
      > > condition.
      > > marginal

      > > ratio
      > > derailleur
      > > rider?

    • brandon
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
        My town is ballina i used to live in lismore and wow i didn't know
        they used disc brakes on inner geared hubs.

        The rohloff hub is pretty nice i can see why you like it a very
        amazing bit of machinery i wouldn't mind one myself.

        My hub didn't have wing nuts when i got it because it didn't have any
        nuts on it so it could have had wing nuts it is made in England and is
        genuine.

        I have a couple of sturmey archers i will put one on here have a look
        in my Sturmey archer folder.

        Surfers paradise is a great place to ride i can drive there on the
        pacific highway and it takes about 1 hour but ballina is one very nice
        place to ride with plenty of bike paths and is flat and best of all it
        is next to the beach.

        i also collect vintage bicycles i have a 1969 SA S5 hub with two
        cables one one side is the classic indicator chain and on the left
        side is a shimano type push rod changer it pushes a thin rod into the
        hub to change gears i have completely rebuilt it and it is a extremely
        good hub.

        Brandon.

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
          Brandon;

          Rohloff, Shimano, Sturmey Archer and SRAM all now have some hub
          versions that can have brake discs mounted per their web sites.
          Disc brake calipers still need special caliper mounting provisions
          on the frame and front forks however.

          Disc brakes are much better working than rim brakes in wet weather.
          This is particularly true of rim brakes and the old steel rims, a
          bad combination in the wet with most caliper brake pad materials.

          Heavier than caliper brakes but no rim wear or worries about tires
          overheating in long downhill descents. Disc brakes are becoming
          commoner on commuter and city bikes in the U.S. due to their better
          wet weather performance. Also very common on better mountain bikes.

          If you take a look at the Sturmey Archer web site they still list 3,
          5 and 8 speed hubs in quite a variety. No idea of availability down
          under however. Here is a link to the hubs on the current SA web
          site.

          http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs.php

          Rohloff does have an Aussie branch. Here is a link to it.

          http://www.rohloff.com.au/

          Not nearly as complete as the Rohloff main site as some links seem
          to be not functional on the Aussie site. If you are truly
          interested in Rohloff hubs go to the main site and download the
          manual in PDF format, a total of about 132 pages. It is in 3 parts
          in PDF format. Here is a link to their downloads page. If nothing
          else it is an interesting read if you are a technofreak.

          http://www.rohloff.de/en/download/description/index.html#c1453

          <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

          > My town is ballina i used to live in lismore and wow i didn't know
          > they used disc brakes on inner geared hubs.
          >
          > The rohloff hub is pretty nice i can see why you like it a very
          > amazing bit of machinery i wouldn't mind one myself.
          >
          > My hub didn't have wing nuts when i got it because it didn't have
          any
          > nuts on it so it could have had wing nuts it is made in England
          and is
          > genuine.
          >
          > I have a couple of sturmey archers i will put one on here have a
          look
          > in my Sturmey archer folder.
          >
          > Surfers paradise is a great place to ride i can drive there on the
          > pacific highway and it takes about 1 hour but ballina is one very
          nice
          > place to ride with plenty of bike paths and is flat and best of
          all it
          > is next to the beach.
          >
          > i also collect vintage bicycles i have a 1969 SA S5 hub with two
          > cables one one side is the classic indicator chain and on the left
          > side is a shimano type push rod changer it pushes a thin rod into
          the
          > hub to change gears i have completely rebuilt it and it is a
          extremely
          > good hub.
          >
          > Brandon.

        • brandon
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
            Disc brakes are expensive but effective on mountain bikes and yes i
            would prefer to have disc brakes on my bike in the wet also have you
            heard of the old S5 rich?, its a interesting hub used on 1970s
            dragsters and touring bikes.
            I would like a rohloff but they are from a bike review site $850!
            probably worth it but with the same money i could buy a brand new
            giant road bike and have a shimano nexus hub installed on it.

            Brandon.

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 13, 2008
              Brandon;

              Not sure if it is the same unit but the Sturmey Archer web site
              still lists an S5 model gear hub. Probably not as it looks like the
              current S5 has a single cable control. Heard of it but I have never
              seen one.

              With the weak U.S. dollar the Rohloff hub is now in the $1200 to
              $1500 range here depending on configuration.

              Basically I consider it to be the Campy Record or Shimano Dura Ace
              hub equivalent or maybe, considering it's gear range, the Shimano
              XTR of hubs. By reputation more durable than any of the above
              however. According to a PDF on the Thorn bikes web site about use
              of the hub, one owner has reportedly covered 190,000 Km on his
              Rohloff hub without failure, not counting cables and output
              sprockets I would presume. Not sure how many derailleurs, casettes
              and chainrings you would go through in that distance but I suspect a
              lot.

              When you look at the top end Shimano and Campy derailleur setups
              with derailleurs, combined brake and shifter levers along with rear
              hub and casette the Rohloff price does not appear too bad. A recent
              price check I did showed the Campy Record rear derailleur at over
              $400 and the brifters at about $600 U.S.

              I am thinking of getting the SRAM 5 speed hub and building a wheel
              for my fixed gear bike frame. I currently have the fixed gear wheel
              and a older Sachs 3 speed wheel for it. The SRAM unit is available
              with the proper width to fit the narrow frame dropouts well.

              <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > look
              > > > in my Sturmey archer folder.
              > > >
              > > > Surfers paradise is a great place to ride i can drive there on
              the
              > > > pacific highway and it takes about 1 hour but ballina is one
              very
              > > nice
              > > > place to ride with plenty of bike paths and is flat and best
              of
              > > all it
              > > > is next to the beach.
              > > >
              > > > i also collect vintage bicycles i have a 1969 SA S5 hub with
              two
              > > > cables one one side is the classic indicator chain and on the
              left
              > > > side is a shimano type push rod changer it pushes a thin rod
              into
              > > the
              > > > hub to change gears i have completely rebuilt it and it is a

            • brandon
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 13, 2008
                I am putting a picture of my S5 on here.

                Brandon.

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 21, 2008
                  --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
                  > Based on the info I have seen what you have is a pretty rare Sturmey
                  > Archer hub. Originally it was designed for sports use. Almost all
                  > British road competition at the time was time trials held on
                  > relatively flat courses and the AM looks to be designed for just
                  > such use with it's narrow range of gearing.

                  While I'm sure some were raced, the AM was intended for the
                  non-competitive sporting rider. The AC and earlier AR had much closer
                  ratios and were better suited for TTs.

                  Looking at the exploded views on Hadland's site The AM appears to be
                  much more robust. Much the same design as the FW & S5. One of the
                  guys on our Saturday rides uses an AM, even when we go off-road. And
                  we've had a few on the Lake Pepin event.
                • Mike Bullis
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 21, 2008
                    I've been inside my AM once or twice and I would have guessed I was looking at the guts of an FW or S5, except for the lack of a secondary sun gear. Got lucky recently when I bought a box of parts and there were a few AM and few FW shift rods in it.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 22, 2008
                      Mark;

                      Were virtually all British TTs reasonably flat? I remember a TDF TT
                      that was held on Alp d'Huez as I recall. ;-)

                      Rich Wood

                      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Stonich" <mark@...>

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 25, 2008
                        At 11:59 AM 11/22/2008, you wrote:
                        >Were virtually all British TTs reasonably flat?

                        I don't know about "virtually all" but there was a tendency to design
                        courses that would produce fast times. Such as using the shoulders
                        of busy motorways to take advantage of the "Tailwind" created by
                        passing cars. I do know that John Woodburn used ACs and FCs for his
                        attempts at the Cardiff to London record which he finally got. 162
                        miles and not particularly flat. Hill climbs were basically uphill
                        TTs and usually done on a single speed bike.

                        >I remember a TDF TT that was held on Alp d'Huez as I recall. ;-)

                        Refresh my memory, is that in Surry or Kent?

                        Mark Stonich;
                        BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                        5349 Elliot Ave S. - Minneapolis. MN 55417
                        Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
                        http://mnhpva.org