Old AW

  • prester_john_in_cathay
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
      I recently fell into stewardship of an S-A AW hub. It's quite an early one, with a threaded LH ball cup, a threaded driver and a shell that reads "Patent" with no date stamp.

      Of course like many old Sturmeys it was "stripped": no anti-rotation washers, no axle nuts and no indicator (shift chain). It did come with a threaded cog, but that's showing a fair amount of wear on the teeth.

      One of the cool things about even ancient AW hubs is that you can buy spare parts, both NOS and current production. Biketoolsetc had everything in stock I needed to put this hub back in service.*

      A word of warning about picking up an old Sturmey hub: try to find as complete an example as possible for your money. It's great they're available, but buying those little missing parts adds up!

      2011 will be the 75th anniversary of the S-A AW hub.

      PJ

      *I don't see this hub getting significant mileage during its tenure with me, but I do think it should be returned to working order and run a bit every now and again.
    • Mike Bullis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010
        Despite the short comings, which become less a short coming and more endearing the more time spent with one, the AW is iconic. Like the Model Tand the Model A Fords, and the VW Beetle. There is 'better' stuff out there, but the AW is simple to work on, simple to own, and you can still get parts for them.

        Just my opinion.

        John, ride the damn thing. It don't care.;)

        Mike

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010
          Mike wrote in part:
          > Despite the short comings, which
          > become less a short coming and more
          > endearing the more time spent with
          > one, the AW is iconic.

          "Most riders...find the Sturmey-Archer AW to be possibly the most durable and reliable bicycle gear shifting mechanism ever." - Sheldon Brown

          PJ
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010
            At 10:33 PM 7/1/2010, you wrote:
            >It did come with a threaded cog, but that's showing a fair amount of
            >wear on the teeth.

            Did you install a "modern" driver or use a track cog on the original driver?

            Mark Stonich;
            BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
            5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
            Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
          • prester_john_in_cathay
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2010
              Mark wrote:
              > Did you install a "modern" driver or use a track cog on the original driver?

              Neither, yet. If the original cog is too worn to run smooth, I'll probably replace it with a track cog, though.

              Different hub, similar issue: You wouldn't happen to know where I could source a NOS 17T, 12 spline Sturmey cog, would you? Sigh. I'm guessing that one will get a "modern" driver.

              PJ