Re: A BAD Week!

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2010
      Thorsten;

      So far on this group the Owner/Moderator effort has been pretty minimal. It has consisted of banning ONE attempted spammer in a year and a half. It also consists of reading first posts from new members, and those who have never posted before, and if the post is acceptable allow it to be posted. At the same time the member's status has to be changed from moderated to unmoderated, a separate step.

      One member was sent an email regarding the tone of his post being unacceptable. He promptly quit.

      The problem is that without an additional moderator, or co-owner, there is no one authorized to change members status, approve first posts etc. I could re set the group settings so new members could post directly after joining, without first post approval. This does leave the members open to receiving occasional spam, which I would hate to do. If for some reason I could no longer moderate or run the group such posts also could not be removed from the posts database.

      To have a good chance for continuity a group such as this should have at least one owner, preferably two, and a fully empowered moderator. The right person needs to be chosen as a fully empowered moderator can do everything but fire an owner. A fully empowered moderator can even shut down a group w/o the owner's consent.

      Apologies for going into administrative stuff in such depth but my coronary has made me concerned about this matter. I KNOW I am not immortal!

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Ostrander <ttostr@...> wrote:

      > I'm glad you weren't one of the statistics that die from initial heart
      > attack. Riding probably helped you. May your recovery from the cardiac
      > cath be uneventful and your return to normal life swift.
      >
      > I have no moderator experience but would be willing to help with tasks
      > beneath a mod.
      >
      > Well wishes to you,
      > Thorsten

    • workinonitstill
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2010
        Rich,
        Rest up and get better.

        Mike
      • Jeff Sumner
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2010
          Feel better, soon, please!

          You've reported heart trouble right in the middle of several local friends having similar problems. It seems a BAD week for heart problems all around!

          I hope the therapy, whatever route you go, is smooth!

        • pwdeegan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2010
            Rich: get better quickly! there are a lot of derailleur-free roads left to pedal.

            re forum: definitely have a moderator/co-moderators. it's a small commitment to a resource that serves so many of us so well; and its members seem reliable (like the IGHs they ride---i suppose it lends itself that way).

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

            > Thorsten;
            >
            > So far on this group the Owner/Moderator effort has been pretty minimal. It has consisted of banning ONE attempted spammer in a year and a half. It also consists of reading first posts from new members, and those who have never posted before, and if the post is acceptable allow it to be posted. At the same time the member's status has to be changed from moderated to unmoderated, a separate step.
            >
            > One member was sent an email regarding the tone of his post being unacceptable. He promptly quit.
            >
            > The problem is that without an additional moderator, or co-owner, there is no one authorized to change members status, approve first posts etc. I could re set the group settings so new members could post directly after joining, without first post approval. This does leave the members open to receiving occasional spam, which I would hate to do. If for some reason I could no longer moderate or run the group such posts also could not be removed from the posts database.
            >
            > To have a good chance for continuity a group such as this should have at least one owner, preferably two, and a fully empowered moderator. The right person needs to be chosen as a fully empowered moderator can do everything but fire an owner. A fully empowered moderator can even shut down a group w/o the owner's consent.
            >
            > Apologies for going into administrative stuff in such depth but my coronary has made me concerned about this matter. I KNOW I am not immortal!
            >
            > Rich Wood

          • anthonyeberger
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2010
              WOW Rich, so sorry to hear and hope for a quick and full recovery.

              What is it with this week? I was hit by car on Monday (I'm OK, bike is NOT, thankfully not my IGH belt drive ride), a co-workers son was hit the same day and oddly enough is also named Tony and a co-worker was hit the next day!

              Lets all hope for a better next week at least we are supposed to see the sun in the midwest.

              Cheers

              Tony B.
              Milwaukee

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

              > I have been missing for a couple of days due to having had a relatively mild heart attack.
              >
              > Part of 3 days in the local coronary ICU unit. No fun at all and no riding for a while, at least until the incision into my groin for running a tube up to the heart for x rays and tests is healed.
              >
              > There are no other moderators or co-owners for the group so it could become non-functional if something happens to me that is more long term or permanent.
              >
              > Anyone, preferably with Yahoo groups moderating or ownership experience, who would like to volunteer to become a group moderator or co-owner please email me off group to discuss it. I think that we have developed a worthwhile resource here that is worth seeing continued.
              >
              > Rich Wood

            • PDX Randonneur
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2010
                Get well, and (doctor permitting) get back on the bikes. Cycling is
                good for the heart.

                --
                R.R.

                On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Rich <astronut1001@...> wrote:
                > I have been missing for a couple of days due to having had a relatively mild heart attack.
                >
                > Part of 3 days in the local coronary ICU unit.  No fun at all and no riding for a while, at least until the incision into my groin for running a tube up to the heart for x rays and tests is healed.
                >
                > There are no other moderators or co-owners for the group so it could become non-functional if something happens to me that is more long term or permanent.
                >
                > Anyone, preferably with Yahoo groups moderating or ownership experience, who would like to volunteer to become a group moderator or co-owner please email me off group to discuss it.  I think that we have developed a worthwhile resource here that is worth seeing continued.

              • Paulos, Richard G
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
                  holly smokes batman! I had a heart attack june 2. the cardiologist told my wife it was the widowmaker. back to work monday, 20 days post.

                  Got the same groin incision that is preventing me from pedaling. could be weeks more. Must do ragbrai.

                  99% blockage in the LAD, 2 stents. Got fast treatment and they said no visable (echo) heart damage. The full suite of tv drugs. went vegetarian 10 years ago. now , no more fried foods. no fries, hashbrowns, potato chips, butter, soda, omlettes. 1% milk and cheeses only. Learn all about the NuVal food labeling system at the local grocery store.

                  ps I moderate about 10 yahoo lists and they work pretty well without me monitoring every day. so a few subscriptions or approvals can wait.

                  Rick Paulos
                  cedar rapids, ia

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
                    The doctor took a look at my groin Wed, a week after the probe was done, and ok'd my riding again. Mine seems to have healed with no bruising, discoloration, fluid seepage or tenderness of the area and I did do some riding today with no problems encountered.

                    Rich Wood