Musings on SRAM's IGH production move to Taiwan

  • prester_john_in_cathay
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2010
      This has been mentioned here before:

      http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/3865.html

      I noticed a price drop on iMotion3 and S7 hubs here in the USA in the last 6 months, which would be consistent with a move from a high-cost manufacturing country (Germany) to a lower cost manufacturing country (Taiwan).

      The iM3s manufactured in Schweinfurt, Germany had a discount street price of ~$105US. The current discount street price of an iM3 has dropped to ~$80US. (Reference: An SRF3 is now about $70US, but then a shifter is included with Sturmey hubs).

      The S7 is arguably the best deal in an IGH in N.A. these days:

      <http://aebike.com/product-list/sram-b388/internally-geared-hubs-spectro-s7-t475-m3696-qc30/>

      The S7 seems to be consistently about $30US less than the P5 hub from several retail sources!

      Once SRAM moves all IGH production to Taiwan (if they do), it will end 106 years of IGH production at Schweinfurt.

      I'm interested in the phrase "produced by a strategic supplier" - I wonder who SRAM's Taiwanese IGH sub-contractor is? Could it be SunRace Sturmey-Archer?

      In other news, the T3 seems to have disappeared from the N.A. retail market.

      Best,
      PJ