S3X Wheelset Ordered

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
      I gave into temptation and ordered the S3X FG hub wheelset from Bikeisland last night. Per notification from UPS it is shipping today so is apparently in stock for immediate shipment.

      Be interesting as it is about 14 years since I last rode a FG setup. Reno has enough hills so I wanted more than single speed capability.

      Rich Wood
    • Hrothgar19
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > I gave into temptation and ordered the S3X FG hub wheelset from Bikeisland last night. Per notification from UPS it is shipping today so is apparently in stock for immediate shipment.
        >
        > Be interesting as it is about 14 years since I last rode a FG setup. Reno has enough hills so I wanted more than single speed capability.
        >
        > Rich Wood

        It's a whole new way to kill yourself. I don't quite trust mine yet, because it once slipped and I'm not sure whether I nudged the lever with my gloved hand or not.

        Direct drive rattles a bit, "2" is pretty quiet and non-draggy after the first 100 miles but "1" is still like a coffee grinder. I'm going to take it up to 200 miles and then strip and regrease it.

        Check the cone adjustment when it's been ridden far enough to screw down the ball ring nice and hard - mine was very loose out of the box.
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
          Thanks for the information. I will check the axle adjustment and adjust as necessary. My NOS British S5-2 was properly adjusted from the factory but I did check the bearing grease condition after so many years of the hub not being used.

          Does anyone know of any reason not to add oil through the indicator chain opening on the axle of current SA greased hubs as supplemental lubrication that should guarantee all parts are well lubed? Does this void the warranty?

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Hrothgar19" <hrothgar19@...> wrote:

          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I gave into temptation and ordered the S3X FG hub wheelset from Bikeisland last night. Per notification from UPS it is shipping today so is apparently in stock for immediate shipment.
          > >
          > > Be interesting as it is about 14 years since I last rode a FG setup. Reno has enough hills so I wanted more than single speed capability.
          > >
          > > Rich Wood
          > >

          > It's a whole new way to kill yourself. I don't quite trust mine yet, because it once slipped and I'm not sure whether I nudged the lever with my gloved hand or not.
          >
          > Direct drive rattles a bit, "2" is pretty quiet and non-draggy after the first 100 miles but "1" is still like a coffee grinder. I'm going to take it up to 200 miles and then strip and regrease it.
          >
          > Check the cone adjustment when it's been ridden far enough to screw down the ball ring nice and hard - mine was very loose out of the box.

        • prester_john_in_cathay
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
            Rich wrote in part:
            > I gave into temptation and ordered the S3X
            > FG hub wheelset from Bikeisland last night....

            Outstanding. I've resisted so far, but what IGH fan hasn't hovered the mouse cursor over the "Add to cart" on some sort of S3X (hub, wheel set or bike)?

            PJ
          • wahooncx@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
              Not me! I have one fixed gear but seldom ride it anymore. I am waiting on the forthcoming Alfine 11 speed.

              Aaron

              From: "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...>
              Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:18:13 -0000
              To: <Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: S3X Wheelset Ordered

              Rich wrote in part:

              > I gave into temptation and ordered the S3X
              > FG hub wheelset from Bikeisland last night....

              Outstanding. I've resisted so far, but what IGH fan hasn't hovered the mouse cursor over the "Add to cart" on some sort of S3X (hub, wheel set or bike)?

              PJ

            • Forbes Black
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
                Hi Rich,

                Please let us know what you think. There has been much discussion about this hub over at the KOG group.

                Cheers,

                Forbes

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                  Forbes;

                  I expect to. After all, as should be evident to older members, I am always willing to give opinions, even if sometimes uninformed or not always correct ;-)

                  Rich Wood

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                    Aaron;

                    What frame do you intend to put it in? One of your classic bikes I suppose rather than anything new. Are you going to be an early adopter or wait till the second version to come out, presumably with any bugs worked out.

                    Rich Wood

                  • wahooncx@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                      I will wait for the second generation. It will go in a rigid steel MTB frame for touring or possibly a Bike Friday NWT.

                      Aaron

                      From: "Rich" <astronut1001@...>
                      Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 17:19:55 -0000
                      To: <Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com>

                      Aaron;

                      What frame do you intend to put it in? One of your classic bikes I suppose rather than anything new. Are you going to be an early adopter or wait till the second version to come out, presumably with any bugs worked out.

                      Rich Wood

                      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, wahooncx@... wrote:

                      > Not me! I have one fixed gear but seldom ride it anymore. I am waiting on the forthcoming Alfine 11 speed.
                      >
                      > Aaron

                    • Hrothgar19
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                        > Does anyone know of any reason not to add oil through the indicator chain opening on the axle of current SA greased hubs as supplemental lubrication that should guarantee all parts are well lubed? Does this void the warranty?

                        The combined plastic ball cage/dust seal that SA now use on the RH ball ring tends to let any free oil out (the SRF3 is the same). If you're very sparing with it then the mess should be minimised.

                        I set mine up using a traditional fulcrum clip (a NOS metal insert!) and a seat cluster roller.

                        http://www.peeble.com/s31.jpg
                        http://www.peeble.com/s32.jpg
                        http://www.peeble.com/s33.jpg
                        http://www.peeble.com/s34.jpg
                        http://www.peeble.com/s35.jpg
                        http://www.peeble.com/s36.jpg
                        http://www.peeble.com/s37.jpg
                        http://www.peeble.com/s38.jpg
                      • PDX Randonneur
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                          What do the current owners of the S3X think of the gearing? I would
                          want a larger gearing, but I've read fixsters complaining that the
                          gearing is too large. Are you really riding up and down gnarly hills
                          on the S3X?

                          --
                          R.R.

                          On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Forbes Black <diarmaede@...> wrote:
                          > Hi Rich,
                          >
                          > Please let us know what you think.  There has been much discussion about this hub over at the KOG group.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Forbes
                          >
                          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> I gave into temptation and ordered the S3X FG hub wheelset from Bikeisland last night.  Per notification from UPS it is shipping today so is apparently in stock for immediate shipment.
                          >>
                          >> Be interesting as it is about 14 years since I last rode a FG setup.  Reno has enough hills so I wanted more than single speed capability.
                          >>
                          >> Rich Wood

                        • Hrothgar19
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, PDX Randonneur <pdxrandonneur@...> wrote:

                            > What do the current owners of the S3X think of the gearing? I would
                            > want a larger gearing, but I've read fixsters complaining that the
                            > gearing is too large. Are you really riding up and down gnarly hills
                            > on the S3X?

                            It works better than it ought to, given that the ratios are a bit accidental (the lowest three gears of the current SA 5-speed). I tried 48 x 15 but then changed to 52 x 15; this gives the option of 52 x 16 for slightly hillier rides. Only 15T and 16T 1/8" sprockets seem to be available here in the UK.

                            The bike does look rather "hardcore" with a 90" gear on it, but that's because it's all geared down from top.
                          • chkamb
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                              Hi Forbes
                              please, could you post a link to the KOG group? Thanx, Chris
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                                Hrothgar;

                                Here are a number of different sources for sprockets which should fit the S3X hub from Harris Cyclery. Look them over and then see what is available in GB. It looks like Shimano BMX freehub compatible sprockets, Surly splined and Shimano HG sprockets will all fit per Harris. In fact on their S3X page they recommend the Surly sprockets for the S3X.

                                http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/singlespeed.html#sprockets

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                                  > What do the current owners of the S3X think of the gearing? I would
                                  >want a larger gearing, but I've read fixsters complaining that the
                                  >gearing is too large. Are you really riding up and down gnarly hills
                                  >on the S3X?

                                  I like the gearing much better than I thought I would. 2nd is the
                                  same gear inches as my SS (An embarrassingly small number). I rarely
                                  use low and high is most useful downhill as I ride platform pedals
                                  and can't spin like I used to.

                                  --

                                  Mark Stonich;
                                  BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                                    I was figuring on starting with about an 80" high and 50" low gear at least to try out at first. As I have mentioned in the past I think, Reno gets a bit hilly as you get into the northern and western areas of town, such as by the University. South and central Reno are pretty flat.

                                    The low is still higher than that used by old time TDF riders, even in mountain stages, prior to derailleurs and the post WW2 era from what I have read.