Re:Cartridge Brake Pad Holders for Older Road Bike Brakes?

    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2010
      An Update.

      I have found two Shimano caliper brake cartridge compatible pad holders which fit the 6mm wide mounting slots on older caliper brakes.

      The first is sold under the name BBB Roadstop, model BBS-02. It looks almost identical to Shimano cartridge pad holders but does not include the cupped washer alignment feature for setting toe-in and angle adjustment. In that respect it is like older caliper brake pads and pad holders. It should work fine for older brakes that were aligned years ago by bending the arms to give the correct toe-in.

      http://www.amazon.com/BBB-Road-Stop-Bicycle-Brake/dp/B0015DCNOM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1275327097&sr=1-3

      The second pad holder is a new one from Kool Stop. It is their KS-CXT pad holder which is described as a "Cross Threaded Holder". It is being sold as a pad holder for cyclocross bike cantilever brakes that take threaded stud pad holders. It does not include wheel guides for fast wheel changes but again takes standard current Shimano compatible road brake pad inserts. It does include alignment adjustment capability for setting toe in and vertical pad angle.

      http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Cross-Triple-Threaded-Brake/dp/B002G3252K/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1275327438&sr=1-21

      Either one will allow use of the many Kool Stop brake pad inserts and Shimano inserts that fit these holders including Shimano's latest R55C3 inserts which claim much improved wet braking. They also allow use of Swiss Stop pads compatible with Shimano pad holders as well as other brands.

      Upgrading to premium brake pads can provide noticeably better braking for older caliper and center pull brakes.

      Rich Wood