Re: Grip-shiftable new bars from soma this summer.

  • prester_john_in_cathay
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 6:47 PM
      Shaun wrote:
      > These look like the Major Taylor bars Soma produce...

      Look at pictures of each side by side. Very different bends.

      Best,
      PJ
    • Mike Wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7 10:38 AM
        Shaun wrote:
        > These look like the Major Taylor bars Soma produce...

        Look at pictures of each side by side. Very different bends.

        Best,
        PJ
        ----------------
        I guess I am not that discerning from the pictures. Can you
        tell us in words the difference between the Major Taylor and
        the Lauterwasser?

        In case anyone cares, it was Bruce Webber who made the
        reproductions in the 70s.

        Michael Wilson
      • prester_john_in_cathay
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7 5:50 PM
          On the off chance Michael isn't just jacking with me... : )

          The Major Taylors:

          <http://velospace.org/files/limongi.JPG>

          The Lauterwassers:

          <http://velospace.org/files/Clubman_Path_Racer_Lauterwasser1x.jpg>

          Or are we missing each other over the definiton of "different"? Do these randonneur bars look "different" from the Taylors and/or Lauterwasers?

          <http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/tasdan/Just%20for%20Fun/Bikes/NewBJ001.jpg>

          Best,
          PJ
        • Mike Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8 6:16 AM
            The pictures were exactly what I needed, thanks.

            The Bruce Webber bars I have are Lauterwasser style.

            I see more of a reason to do Lauterwasser style than Major Taylor style - the latter position should be relatively easy to obtain with modern track bars. Although maybe there is enough overlap between the current Moustache bars and the Lauterwasser to make both positions something obtainable today.

            Nice bikes.