Newbie single speed/fixed gear rider

  • RichardL
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 7:54 PM
      I have purchased a bike with a flip flop hub and would like to get a 1/8" chain freewheel that is pretty bulletproof. The current one is a Shimano BMW one and under load it is making some ominous crunching sounds like the pawls or bearings are shot.

      Any suggestions for a better freewheel?

      Richard
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3 10:42 PM
        Richard;

        Welcome to the group.

        Normally Shimano SS freewheels last fine unless you high pressure wash them and wash all of the lube out. Even a direct stream from a hose pointed at the freewheel can get water in and lube out. Maybe you just got a lemon though. Was the bike new when you got it?

        White Industries makes their ENO SS freewheels but about $90 for a freewheel seems a bit too expensive.

        Rich Wood