SRAM T3 with brifter

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2010
      So Prester_John shows a Capo with SRAM T3 shifted by a Shimano front brifter.

      Was any cable-pull adjustment needed?

      For other people's notes:

      The campy 10 speed brifter shifting a Nexus 8 required a Travel Agent cable pull adjustment. I believe a Shimano 8 speed brifter would behave the same, but I have not tried it yet.

      The old Shimano triple brifter will operate an SA two speed fixed but care is needed, because you need the full range of shift motion to cover the 2 gears, and the middle neutral position is to narrow to be reliable as neutral and too weak to use for pedaling in gear.

      I have not measured the per-shift cable pull of campy front brifters but I think they have 11 positions.

      Michael Wilson
    • Mike Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2010
        I forget if I posted this.

        A month or two ago I had a machinist friend make an adaptor to mount a twist-grip shifter where a road bike brake lever normally sits.

        It is not a complete success when used with an old Sachs 7 speed coaster hub. The shifting is harder than I like, and the angle of the adaptor is going to be much more critical than I thought. The Sachs shifter comes apart with axial loads so an end cap was needed; also this adds shift drag.

        I never rode it far; it is the old snow bike that has 21 winters on it, but the setup was not finished until the snow was done. Next winter ...

        ----
        At the same session we made a bent tube to fit an aero bar mount so I could test the Rohloff shifter in various postions near the brake lever on a dropped handlebar. So far nothing has come close to feeling right. Suggestions desired.

        ----
        It is not clear that I will continue these experiments. I like two of my derailleur bikes a lot, and am working on getting others to be that good. The winter bike could go back to a trigger (if I can find it) or a brifter with external pulley and the 8 speed. The Rohloff never responded to the pedals the way I want; testing on a different frame may be indicated before more shifting work is done. And there are 2 other ideas, the bichain fixed/free with a cassette freehub and the Schlumpf/S3X bike, that may take priority.

        Michael Wilson
      • prester_john_in_cathay
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2010
          Mike wrote in part:
          > So Prester_John shows a Capo with SRAM T3 shifted by a Shimano front brifter.
          >
          > Was any cable-pull adjustment needed?

          I didn't make any. I adjusted the cable same as normal for a SRAM 3-speed: the second shift will barely pull the hub into low gear with the cable taut against the end of travel. I've been running it this way for about - hmmm - two and a half years now, I guess, without any problems.

          BTW, BikeFriday and Dahon both factory equip bikes with SRAM DualDrive 3-speed hubs shifted with Shimano LH brifters.

          Best,
          PJ
        • Alex Wetmore
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2010
            From: prester_john_in_cathay [prester_john_in_cathay@...]
            > BTW, BikeFriday and Dahon both factory equip bikes with SRAM DualDrive 3-speed hubs shifted with Shimano LH brifters.

            Bike Friday did for the 3x7, but stopped when the DualDrive came out. I haven't paid much attention over there, are they using brifters with the Dual Drive again?

            When they stopped the service department there claimed that the DualDrive was more sensitive to cable position than the 3x7.

            alex