RE: [Geared_hub_bikes] New Members Welcome

  • daniel valente
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2010
      Hello -

      I will take a moment to introduce myself, too. I was one of the 650b-list-mention-joiners.

      My name is daniel valente, I currently run the blog: http://www.fattiresrangefinders.com. which focuses on bicycle commuting and photography.

      My IGH interest comes in the desire to convert my current 1-speed Surly 1x1 to a 1x8 IGH-bike. It's currently set up as a single speed 650b commuter bike/porteur bike. I want to rebuild the rear-wheel with a 8-speed shimano hub, disc brakes and a front rack (cetma, currently under construction and on it's way).

      I'm an avid bike commuter in Omaha, NE and initially was drawn to the single-speed due to the ease of maintence, relative immunity to weather-related issues (winters get cold here!), but now in my desire to do more touring/longer rides, I really need something with a range of speeds for dealing with loading down the bike and terrains.

      Hopefully I can get some help from the group.

      I am also a photographer (http://www.danielvalentephotography.com), and like triathlons.

      I'm glad to be part of the group.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2010
        For the conversion you want the Shimano Alfine hub as it is the only Shimano 8 speed with disc brake rotor mounting provision. Aftermarket shifters are also available for it, either the Jtek bar end shifter or a Taiwanese made brifter.

        It has a OLD of 135mm so should fit the 1 x 1 frame fine. Also the 1 x 1 has disc bake mounting provisions so overall this should be an easy conversion. Basically fit new wheels with the hubs and install the disc brakes and IGH shifter.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, daniel valente <danvprod@...> wrote:

        > Hello -
        >
        > I will take a moment to introduce myself, too. I was one of the
        > 650b-list-mention-joiners.
        >
        > My name is daniel valente, I currently run the blog:
        > http://www.fattiresrangefinders.com. which focuses on bicycle commuting and
        > photography.
        >
        > My IGH interest comes in the desire to convert my current 1-speed Surly 1x1
        > to a 1x8 IGH-bike. It's currently set up as a single speed 650b commuter
        > bike/porteur bike. I want to rebuild the rear-wheel with a 8-speed shimano
        > hub, disc brakes and a front rack (cetma, currently under construction and
        > on it's way).
        >
        > I'm an avid bike commuter in Omaha, NE and initially was drawn to the
        > single-speed due to the ease of maintence, relative immunity to
        > weather-related issues (winters get cold here!), but now in my desire to do
        > more touring/longer rides, I really need something with a range of speeds
        > for dealing with loading down the bike and terrains.
        >
        > Hopefully I can get some help from the group.
        >
        > I am also a photographer (http://www.danielvalentephotography.com), and like
        > triathlons.
        >
        > I'm glad to be part of the group.

      • George
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2010
          Thanks for the welcome Rich!

          My name is George and I've been living in Alaska the last 23 years.

          I'm not sure how I found out about this group but I have been doing a lot bike gear research and came a cross a few references to geared hubs and I became very interested...never have owned one but I like the idea and perhaps on my next bike I'll get one (maybe even convert my current bike...I tend to keep bikes a long time).

          I've been researching gear because I am planning a tour from Anchorage to Mexico including the Great Divide Mt. Bike Route...about 5,000 miles total and I hope to leave about July 1.

          One of the sites I visited is: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/wheels.asp

          and I am thinking of having him build me a wheelset with Phil Wood hubs. Checking his other products, he sells a frame designed for a Rohloff and has the rear rack welded in as part of the frame:

          http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

          Anyway, I love the idea of no derailers and one gear front and back for the chain. Not sure if this would do for the Great Divide.

          I'm reading "The Man Who Cycled the World" right now by Mark Beaumont and his bike was equipped with a Rohloff. In the first couple weeks he had spokes breaking on the rear wheel and had it rebuilt with less tension on the spokes. I am curious to see how it does for him on the rest of the trip. Interesting read if you have not read it.

          So I joined this group to learn more about geared hubs!

          Anybody ride the Great Divide with one?

          George

          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2010
            George;

            Sounds like a fun trip.

            The bike designer for Thorn Cycles in GB is quite a Rohloff fan and has an excellent write up of his experiences with the Rohloff hub that you might find interesting. His riding has included ascents to 14,000 ft in the Andes.

            http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/downloads.html

            Look for the PDF with the approximate title of "Living with a Rohloff" on the above linked to page.

            Rich Wood