RE: [Geared_hub_bikes] New Members Welcome

  • Alex Wetmore
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2010
      From: Rich [astronut1001@...]
      > Not sure why but we have picked up 8 new members over the weekend, 7 just on Sunday.

      http://search.bikelist.org/beta/ViewMessage.aspx?id=412902#412902

      My intro:
      I'm a bit of a internal hub gear nut. It started around 10 years ago when I built up an old Trek 400 with a Nexus 7sp hub, Nexus dynohub, and a chaincase. Since then I've used the SRAM 7sp, Nexus 8sp, SRAM 9sp, and Rohloff 14sp internal hub gears. I'm also an amateur framebuilder and all around bike nut.

      I've been using a Rohloff on my everyday bike for about 4 years now. I built a frame specifically for the Rohloff last winter:
      http://alexandchristine.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Bicycles/Gifford/11070915_KrDJC#775070698_EMkc7

      Photos of the framebuilding are here:
      http://alexandchristine.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Framebuilding/Wetmorian11/8404803_TABvf#551822529_S89js

      This isn't my first Rohloff specific bicycle, the previous was a custom bike that used the Paragon sliding dropouts:
      http://alexandchristine.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Bicycles/IvyCycles-Rohloff-Custom/2690973_Qy6UZ#142500406_KcnTu

      My wife's bike has a Nexus 8sp:
      http://blogs.phred.org/blogs/alex_wetmore/archive/2010/03/12/christine-s-new-bike.aspx

      Her bike has had some recent modifications (a custom fork+rack, and a Chainglider chaincase) that I haven't taken photos of yet.

      My folding bicycle has a SRAM 9sp:
      http://blogs.phred.org/blogs/alex_wetmore/archive/2009/04/17/seasons-speeding-tikit-porteur.aspx

      My mountain bike also has a Rohloff, and I have a Rohloff that will go on my tandem. I'm curious to know how others have found the Rohloff to work on the tandem, I'm a bit worried about how it will shift. On a single I have a natural reflex to unload the pedals when shifting, but that is harder to do on a tandem. I plan on modifying the left axle of the Rohloff (which bolts on) for 145mm spacing.

      I only have one bicycle with derailleur gears anymore.

      alex
    • daniel valente
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2010
        Hello -

        I will take a moment to introduce myself, too. I was one of the 650b-list-mention-joiners.

        My name is daniel valente, I currently run the blog: http://www.fattiresrangefinders.com. which focuses on bicycle commuting and photography.

        My IGH interest comes in the desire to convert my current 1-speed Surly 1x1 to a 1x8 IGH-bike. It's currently set up as a single speed 650b commuter bike/porteur bike. I want to rebuild the rear-wheel with a 8-speed shimano hub, disc brakes and a front rack (cetma, currently under construction and on it's way).

        I'm an avid bike commuter in Omaha, NE and initially was drawn to the single-speed due to the ease of maintence, relative immunity to weather-related issues (winters get cold here!), but now in my desire to do more touring/longer rides, I really need something with a range of speeds for dealing with loading down the bike and terrains.

        Hopefully I can get some help from the group.

        I am also a photographer (http://www.danielvalentephotography.com), and like triathlons.

        I'm glad to be part of the group.
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2010
          For the conversion you want the Shimano Alfine hub as it is the only Shimano 8 speed with disc brake rotor mounting provision. Aftermarket shifters are also available for it, either the Jtek bar end shifter or a Taiwanese made brifter.

          It has a OLD of 135mm so should fit the 1 x 1 frame fine. Also the 1 x 1 has disc bake mounting provisions so overall this should be an easy conversion. Basically fit new wheels with the hubs and install the disc brakes and IGH shifter.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, daniel valente <danvprod@...> wrote:

          > Hello -
          >
          > I will take a moment to introduce myself, too. I was one of the
          > 650b-list-mention-joiners.
          >
          > My name is daniel valente, I currently run the blog:
          > http://www.fattiresrangefinders.com. which focuses on bicycle commuting and
          > photography.
          >
          > My IGH interest comes in the desire to convert my current 1-speed Surly 1x1
          > to a 1x8 IGH-bike. It's currently set up as a single speed 650b commuter
          > bike/porteur bike. I want to rebuild the rear-wheel with a 8-speed shimano
          > hub, disc brakes and a front rack (cetma, currently under construction and
          > on it's way).
          >
          > I'm an avid bike commuter in Omaha, NE and initially was drawn to the
          > single-speed due to the ease of maintence, relative immunity to
          > weather-related issues (winters get cold here!), but now in my desire to do
          > more touring/longer rides, I really need something with a range of speeds
          > for dealing with loading down the bike and terrains.
          >
          > Hopefully I can get some help from the group.
          >
          > I am also a photographer (http://www.danielvalentephotography.com), and like
          > triathlons.
          >
          > I'm glad to be part of the group.

        • George
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2010
            Thanks for the welcome Rich!

            My name is George and I've been living in Alaska the last 23 years.

            I'm not sure how I found out about this group but I have been doing a lot bike gear research and came a cross a few references to geared hubs and I became very interested...never have owned one but I like the idea and perhaps on my next bike I'll get one (maybe even convert my current bike...I tend to keep bikes a long time).

            I've been researching gear because I am planning a tour from Anchorage to Mexico including the Great Divide Mt. Bike Route...about 5,000 miles total and I hope to leave about July 1.

            One of the sites I visited is: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/wheels.asp

            and I am thinking of having him build me a wheelset with Phil Wood hubs. Checking his other products, he sells a frame designed for a Rohloff and has the rear rack welded in as part of the frame:

            http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

            Anyway, I love the idea of no derailers and one gear front and back for the chain. Not sure if this would do for the Great Divide.

            I'm reading "The Man Who Cycled the World" right now by Mark Beaumont and his bike was equipped with a Rohloff. In the first couple weeks he had spokes breaking on the rear wheel and had it rebuilt with less tension on the spokes. I am curious to see how it does for him on the rest of the trip. Interesting read if you have not read it.

            So I joined this group to learn more about geared hubs!

            Anybody ride the Great Divide with one?

            George

            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2010
              George;

              Sounds like a fun trip.

              The bike designer for Thorn Cycles in GB is quite a Rohloff fan and has an excellent write up of his experiences with the Rohloff hub that you might find interesting. His riding has included ascents to 14,000 ft in the Andes.

              http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/downloads.html

              Look for the PDF with the approximate title of "Living with a Rohloff" on the above linked to page.

              Rich Wood