Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Schlumpf

  • Bobbie Martin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2010
      On 5/2/2010 4:30 PM, Mike Wilson wrote:
      > Does or has anyone on this list use/used a Schlumpf?
      >
      > Any comments on drag, how well they thought it worked, etc.?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Michael Wilson

      I have had a Speed Drive on my Moulton APB for several years. Its a nice
      piece, very well made. Finding someone to cut the BB was a bit of a
      challenge, but otherwise installing it was no problem. I selected the
      Schlumpf for this bike as it did not have provisions for a front
      derailer. This is probably the wrong group to say this, but this
      particular bike originally came with a Sturmey Archer 7 speed IG hub. I
      changed the rear swingarm to one with a derailer hanger and it has a
      Phil hub with a 10 speed 11-28 SRAM cassette with a bar end shifter.
      The Schlumpf gives me a wide range of gears, it has a 1.65:1 ratio. As
      this bike has 20" tires, the speed drive has a 36T chainwheel, which
      equates to a 59T chainring in high gear. This allows a smaller
      chainwheel with decent road gearing, something not really possible with
      standard cassettes and I couldn't get the range with a double chainring.

      As far as riding, it is pretty good. Shifting is a bit clunky,
      certainly not like my last bike with Campy Ergo levers and a front
      derailer. I usually ride in high and shift to low only when I need
      lower gears, in Florida that usually means climbing bridges. The
      shifting buttons are not really in the way and I don't notice the speed
      drive in normal use. You do have to stop pedaling to shift, at least I
      do. I would say the Schlumpf is a good unit, if you have a need. If
      you can use a front derailer, then that is probably how I would go. But
      having a single chainring does allow you to use all 10 gears in the
      cassette, so its good in that respect. As far as the efficiency, I
      don't notice much difference, I suppose there is some loss in high, but
      chain angles contribute to lost efficiency, so maybe its not all that
      bad. It is a bit odd when you realize the chainring is spinning faster
      than your pedals, but I have yet to have anyone notice. In fact, hardly
      anyone I have ridden with knows what a Schlumpf is.

      Overall I would recommend it, again if you have the need. It is a bit
      pricey, but I think its well made. Mine seems to seep a bit of oil, no
      leaks but the bottom bracket area always seems to have a mist of oil
      covering it. I emailed Schlumpf about it and their response was to send
      me a bottle of oil, so maybe they all do that, I can't really say. I
      can say their service is very good, I had to buy a different washer from
      them (in Switzerland) to space the speed drive away from the swingarm
      pivot and they got it right out to me. Probably faster than some US
      companies I have dealt with.

      I have several bikes, all with different types of gearing. Overall I
      like the Schlumpf and would buy another, given the need. Like anything,
      it has its good and bad points. I like the single chainring and wide
      gear range and it suits the bike I have it on very well. I also have a
      double chainring bike with a 9 spd cassette and another bike with a
      Shimano Nexus and I wouldn't change anything on those bikes. It fills a
      need very well but its not something I would install on every bike I own.

      Bobbie Martin
    • Bruce
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2010
        I've got a SpeedDrive on my Airnimal Chameleon, one on a Dahon Jetstream XP and a MountainDrive (2.5:1 underdrive) on a MTB in conjunction with a Nexus Red band 8spd.. with the folding bikes, I wanted to maintain a single chain ring and not run a front derailleur and cabling .. with the MTB, I wanted a large gear range, didn't want any derailleurs or dangly bits hanging down (overall gear range 767%) and wanted to limit any duplicate gears.. I've never had a problem with any of them.. if there is a downside, it weighs more than a conventional bb for obvious reasons.. somewhere I have a picture of one sitting on a gram scale, I'll see if I can find it.. I also have a nice used one for sale, and I'm in the US.. there also are shift paddles available that make shifting easier than hitting buttons, but I never use them. I guess I should post some pics in the photo section here at some point.

        Bruce
      • Bruce
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2010
          Just put some pics up in my photo album (Bruce's Bikes) of some of my various hub geared bikes including a couple with Schlumpf drives. Also one with the complete Schlumpf drive on a gram scale.

          Bruce

        • Trina Brady
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2010

            OH these are geared BB/cranksets. I think I found a website but there does not seem to be alot of information on how it works does anyone have a link to a good site?

              you do not simply own a Bianchi
            you have a relationship with your
                            Bianchi
                     Trina "Celeste" B

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2010
              On 5/3/2010 8:55 AM, Trina Brady wrote:

              OH these are geared BB/cranksets. I think I found a website but there does not seem to be alot of information on how it works does anyone have a link to a good site?

              Go straight to the source

              http://www.schlumpf.ch/antriebe_engl.htm

              Bobbie Martin
            • Mike Wilson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2010
[...]

                -------------------
                So when you are riding along in the lowest gear of the 8 speed and the direct drive of the schlumpf - how does the shift to a lower gear feel in the pedals? It seems to me like a big jump.

                Also - from your pictures - how is the Sachs 2 speed automatic? I have one not built into anything (as well as a few Bendix hubs, one built onto a bike that comes apart in the middle).

                Michael Wilson
              • Bruce
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2010
                  --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mike Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:

                  > So when you are riding along in the lowest gear of the 8 speed and the direct drive of the schlumpf - how does the shift to a lower gear feel in the pedals? It seems to me like a big jump.
                  >
                  > Also - from your pictures - how is the Sachs 2 speed automatic? I have one not built into anything (as well as a few Bendix hubs, one built onto a bike that comes apart in the middle).
                  >
                  > Michael Wilson

                  With the Mountain Drive, it is huge jump .. 250% ... a 53/21 crank... I run a twist grip with the Nexus, so, if I were to shift as you suggest, I would rotate from 1 to 6 if I wanted to keep the ratios more or less consecutive..

                  The Automatic Duomatic is not a kick back hub.. it has centrifugal weights inside the hub that allow the hub to shift automatically at a prescribed wheel rpm... it is adjustable with a little torsion spring inside..I've actually wound some springs to fine tune for my applications.. I have the Dahon shifting at 13 mph (around 80 rpm cadence) and the Douglas at 14 mph (around 90 rpm cadence) ... shifts are fast and smooth.. the faster you pedal the faster it shifts.. it won't downshift if there is pressure on the pedals (standing going uphill but below the normal shift point)and will even shift by itself to a higher gear without even rotating the pedals (as in cresting a hill).. I wrote about it on Bike forums .

                  http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?592559-My-Dahon-Mu-Duo-a-blend-of-old-an-new&highlight=mu+duo

                  Bruce
                • Bruce Alan Wilson
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2010
                    I have one on my Greenspeed tadpole recumbent, and it really helps going up the hills!