Aaron's bike shop, SRAM support, and the end of the Imotion 9

  • PDX Randonneur
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2010
      So I have been exchanging emails with Aaron from Aaron's bike shop
      about my busted brake sleeve (rideyourbike.com). He clearly knows his
      hubs and has been very helpful, a breath of fresh air from the "Uh
      what?" I usually get in a portland bike shop when asking about gear
      hubs. Wish I lived in seattle. He has even offered to have me mail him
      my broken part so he can compare it to the SRAM torpedo parts he has
      to determine if they will work. By comparison, the shop I purchased
      the wheel from (universalcycles.com) is not even replying to emails
      asking them to contact SRAM about the warranty. He is building a SRAM
      part order for a german bike shop, so if you need any rare parts for
      your SRAMs, you might want to contact him and get in on it. Here is
      his comment on SRAM support:

      ---------------------------------

      'It is crazy that SRAM does not want to support their IGH business
      here in the USA. In fact, they have told me flat out, "Shimano can
      have it." They made a splash with their i-Motion 9 hub but now they
      are basically closing their German factory where it is made. They are
      laying off half the staff and turning the building into a Service and
      Warranty center for all SRAM products. Which basically means Rock
      Shox and their Road stuff. They really love their road bike stuff.
      Now they have ANOTHER road group called Apex. "kills the triple" Get
      real, I say! Anyway, rant over.'

      ----------------------------------

      So it has turned out that the busted coaster brake sleeve is
      impossible to obtain, unless you live in germany. This is a wear part
      that will eventually wear out, even if it doesn't break, and it is not
      covered by the SRAM warranty as far as I can tell. It is reasonable
      for warranties not to cover wear parts, provided that they can somehow
      otherwise be obtained.

      When I opened up the coaster brake it had almost no grease in it, and
      this could well be the reason for the failure. If you have one I would
      suggest packing it with grease, I stuffed mine with automotive brake
      grease and it is now working fine, even with the broken sleeve. This
      is against SRAM spec, and of course, if you don't use the impossible
      to obtain special magical SRAM grease you are voiding your warranty.
      The amount of grease on the bearings and hub sleeve was also quite
      paltry, if you are riding in a salt water hazard zone, I would suggest
      adding some more grease to the bearings too. Another issue I noticed
      during the overhaul is that the shifter cable coming out of the hub
      had come somewhat unscrewed. I screwed it in tight when I set up the
      hub, and the only explanation I can come up with for this is that the
      grip shifter twisting the the shift cable back and forth caused it. A
      small issue if you catch it, but if the shift cable completely
      unscrews and somehow falls out of the hub, you now own a single speed,
      because you certainly are not getting a replacement.

      As much as I like this hub, at this point I wish I had purchased a
      Sturmey. I would no longer recommend the coaster brake version of the
      Imotion 3 speed.

      --
      R.R.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2010
        I wonder if they will move IGH production to the far east or abandon it entirely. Per what I have read when SRAM bought Sachs they had to agree to keep IGH production in Germany. Presumably there was a time limit set that has now expired.

        Seems like a dumb move to me as IGH popularity is increasing in the USA based on the number of bikes available with it. SRAM, and prior to that Sachs, fought for years to get manufacturers to start specifying and fitting their components to road and MTB bikes. To give up the IGH segment of the market to Shimano makes no sense to me. Sachs/SRAM IGH production dates back to 1904 I have read and I would hate to see them abandon it.

        Rich Wood