Re: Sturmey archer question

  • brandon
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 11, 2008
      So Rich my hub is rare that's pretty good, thanks for that. so its a
      close ratio hub that's alright considering i got it of some old rim.
      Are you American?, if so is sturmey archer popular over there because
      Australian bikes eg: malvern stars were made with SA hubs up til the
      1990s and rare Bmx bikes have them too.
      Do you have any more info of why they swapped to derailleurs when
      there is so much more potential in inner geared hubs?

      I would love to see a SA 10 speed inner geared hub put into production
      and put on a brand new road bike used for the tour De France that
      would prove how superior the inner geared hub is to derailleurs!

      Brandon.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 11, 2008
        Brandon;

        I am American and live in Reno, Nevada.

        SA does do an 8 speed hub though the gear range is wierd compared to
        Shimano, SRAM and Rohloff gear hubs.

        Derailleur gear trains are still lighter than the best high gear
        count hubs, particularly the top end derailleur gear trains using
        lots of carbon fiber and titanium in addition to aluminum. Remember
        that in a Tour bike price is not a consideration and they have
        really top mechanics going over each bike with a microscope on a
        daily basis.

        IMO the strengths of a gear hub, properly designed and made, are
        long term dependability and much less susceptiblity to the effects
        of mud, dust and bad weather. Also once initial cable stretch is
        out of the shifter cable they hold adjustment longer than
        derailleurs.

        Per the book Bicycling Science, and test figures on the Rohloff web
        site, the derailleur gear train is very slightly more efficient.
        This does vary however with the derailleur sprocket selection being
        used.

        A rear derailleur is very subject to damage from a fall or other
        impact from riding in rocky areas such as mountain bikers do
        routinely. The latest gear hubs from SRAM, Shimano and Rohloff do
        not have parts which protrude like a derailleur gear train does.
        This makes them much less susceptible to damage in my opinion.

        Thorn Bicycles in England makes some really high end adventure and
        touring bikes. Their designer is a strong proponent of the Rohloff
        hub. He has used it for rough road touring in Australia, Tasmania
        and in South America. Rides have included multiple trips over the
        Andes on dirt and gravel roads to altitudes close to 15,000 feet
        with no problems from the Rohloff hub. It seems to be virtually
        unbreakable. To me this is an area of use where a gear hub shines.

        Also better than derailleur gear trains for use in city riding and
        traffic due to the faster shifting and the ability to shift while
        stopped at traffic lights or other stops. Just more user friendly
        overall in this environment.

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 11, 2008
          Brandon;

          Two reasons for derailleur gear trains being more popular.
          Derailleurs took over when the typical gear hub was the 3 speed unit
          from SA, Sachs or Shimano typically fitted to a utility type
          bicycle. A 10 speed derailleur system could be made for the same or
          less money and for the sales people, and many customers, 10 speeds
          sounded sexier han 3. Also racers were using derailleurs.

          Even now you can get a decent derailleur bike for less money than a
          high gear count gear hub bike generally speaking. A lot more
          precision machining and parts in the hub than in a derailleur system.

          Here in the US currently the gear hub is gaining in popularity,
          primarily on lower performance commuter and cruiser type bikes.
          These are typically using Shimano 7 and 8 speed hubs with 3 speeds
          on the bottom end bikes. Virtually all Anerican brands offer
          several bikes in this category.

          One maker ofers a model using the SRAM (originally Sachs) 9 speed
          hub and one offers a bike with the Rohloff hub.

          Sturmey Archer is now owned by a Taiwanese company and is no longer
          common in the US. A few models are imported but distribution seems
          pretty limited. No longer the first choice of manufacturers looking
          to offer a gear hub bike.

          <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > and we both went flat out but i won by about 2 meters!
          > > >
          > > > which really surprised me after riding his bike i noticed mine
          > > wasn't
          > > > that smooth in gear ratios but provided high speed this was a
          > > hundred
          > > > meter race, my friend and me are both the same strength riders
          so i
          > > > rode his and he rode mine still my bike won by about 2 meters.
          > > >
          > > > my friends bike was in 8th gear at the rear and 3rd at the
          front
          > > and i
          > > > got to a point that it wouldn't go any faster whereas my hub
          just
          > > kept
          > > > going faster i live in Australia and the hub is unknown what
          bike
          > > it
          > > > came of i just found it on this bent up wheel on the side of

        • brandon
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 11, 2008
            I couldn't agree more Rich and i live somewhere you haven't heard of so i will say it is near Byron bay and its not outback terrain like most movies show Australia its very nice here with the beach close and lots of nice potholed roads .
            and the weirdest thing is that on the riverbanks are bamboo so figure that out:-/
            anyway i haven't heard of the rohloff hub before i joined this group can you put a pic of one on a bike i would like to see the setup.

            Thanks.

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
              Brandon;

              I Googled Byron Bay and looked it up in my atlas. Looks like a
              resort town about 70 Km south of Surfers Paradise. The Google map
              also shows the surrounding towns. Which is yours? There is also a
              Wikipedia entry for Byron Bay I read. Sounds like a nice area.

              <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > So Rich my hub is rare that's pretty good, thanks for that. so
              its
              > > > close ratio hub that's alright considering i got it of some old
              > > rim.
              > > > Are you American?, if so is sturmey archer popular over there
              > > because
              > > > Australian bikes eg: malvern stars were made with SA hubs up
              til
              > > the
              > > > 1990s and rare Bmx bikes have them too.
              > > > Do you have any more info of why they swapped to derailleurs
              when
              > > > there is so much more potential in inner geared hubs?
              > > >
              > > > I would love to see a SA 10 speed inner geared hub put into
              > > production
              > > > and put on a brand new road bike used for the tour De France
              that
              > > > would prove how superior the inner geared hub is to

            • brandon
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
                My town is ballina i used to live in lismore and wow i didn't know
                they used disc brakes on inner geared hubs.

                The rohloff hub is pretty nice i can see why you like it a very
                amazing bit of machinery i wouldn't mind one myself.

                My hub didn't have wing nuts when i got it because it didn't have any
                nuts on it so it could have had wing nuts it is made in England and is
                genuine.

                I have a couple of sturmey archers i will put one on here have a look
                in my Sturmey archer folder.

                Surfers paradise is a great place to ride i can drive there on the
                pacific highway and it takes about 1 hour but ballina is one very nice
                place to ride with plenty of bike paths and is flat and best of all it
                is next to the beach.

                i also collect vintage bicycles i have a 1969 SA S5 hub with two
                cables one one side is the classic indicator chain and on the left
                side is a shimano type push rod changer it pushes a thin rod into the
                hub to change gears i have completely rebuilt it and it is a extremely
                good hub.

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
                  Brandon;

                  Rohloff, Shimano, Sturmey Archer and SRAM all now have some hub
                  versions that can have brake discs mounted per their web sites.
                  Disc brake calipers still need special caliper mounting provisions
                  on the frame and front forks however.

                  Disc brakes are much better working than rim brakes in wet weather.
                  This is particularly true of rim brakes and the old steel rims, a
                  bad combination in the wet with most caliper brake pad materials.

                  Heavier than caliper brakes but no rim wear or worries about tires
                  overheating in long downhill descents. Disc brakes are becoming
                  commoner on commuter and city bikes in the U.S. due to their better
                  wet weather performance. Also very common on better mountain bikes.

                  If you take a look at the Sturmey Archer web site they still list 3,
                  5 and 8 speed hubs in quite a variety. No idea of availability down
                  under however. Here is a link to the hubs on the current SA web
                  site.

                  http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs.php

                  Rohloff does have an Aussie branch. Here is a link to it.

                  http://www.rohloff.com.au/

                  Not nearly as complete as the Rohloff main site as some links seem
                  to be not functional on the Aussie site. If you are truly
                  interested in Rohloff hubs go to the main site and download the
                  manual in PDF format, a total of about 132 pages. It is in 3 parts
                  in PDF format. Here is a link to their downloads page. If nothing
                  else it is an interesting read if you are a technofreak.

                  http://www.rohloff.de/en/download/description/index.html#c1453

                  <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

                  > My town is ballina i used to live in lismore and wow i didn't know
                  > they used disc brakes on inner geared hubs.
                  >
                  > The rohloff hub is pretty nice i can see why you like it a very
                  > amazing bit of machinery i wouldn't mind one myself.
                  >
                  > My hub didn't have wing nuts when i got it because it didn't have
                  any
                  > nuts on it so it could have had wing nuts it is made in England
                  and is
                  > genuine.
                  >
                  > I have a couple of sturmey archers i will put one on here have a
                  look
                  > in my Sturmey archer folder.
                  >
                  > Surfers paradise is a great place to ride i can drive there on the
                  > pacific highway and it takes about 1 hour but ballina is one very
                  nice
                  > place to ride with plenty of bike paths and is flat and best of
                  all it
                  > is next to the beach.
                  >
                  > i also collect vintage bicycles i have a 1969 SA S5 hub with two
                  > cables one one side is the classic indicator chain and on the left
                  > side is a shimano type push rod changer it pushes a thin rod into
                  the
                  > hub to change gears i have completely rebuilt it and it is a
                  extremely
                  > good hub.
                  >
                  > Brandon.

                • brandon
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
                    Disc brakes are expensive but effective on mountain bikes and yes i
                    would prefer to have disc brakes on my bike in the wet also have you
                    heard of the old S5 rich?, its a interesting hub used on 1970s
                    dragsters and touring bikes.
                    I would like a rohloff but they are from a bike review site $850!
                    probably worth it but with the same money i could buy a brand new
                    giant road bike and have a shimano nexus hub installed on it.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 13, 2008
                      Brandon;

                      Not sure if it is the same unit but the Sturmey Archer web site
                      still lists an S5 model gear hub. Probably not as it looks like the
                      current S5 has a single cable control. Heard of it but I have never
                      seen one.

                      With the weak U.S. dollar the Rohloff hub is now in the $1200 to
                      $1500 range here depending on configuration.

                      Basically I consider it to be the Campy Record or Shimano Dura Ace
                      hub equivalent or maybe, considering it's gear range, the Shimano
                      XTR of hubs. By reputation more durable than any of the above
                      however. According to a PDF on the Thorn bikes web site about use
                      of the hub, one owner has reportedly covered 190,000 Km on his
                      Rohloff hub without failure, not counting cables and output
                      sprockets I would presume. Not sure how many derailleurs, casettes
                      and chainrings you would go through in that distance but I suspect a
                      lot.

                      When you look at the top end Shimano and Campy derailleur setups
                      with derailleurs, combined brake and shifter levers along with rear
                      hub and casette the Rohloff price does not appear too bad. A recent
                      price check I did showed the Campy Record rear derailleur at over
                      $400 and the brifters at about $600 U.S.

                      I am thinking of getting the SRAM 5 speed hub and building a wheel
                      for my fixed gear bike frame. I currently have the fixed gear wheel
                      and a older Sachs 3 speed wheel for it. The SRAM unit is available
                      with the proper width to fit the narrow frame dropouts well.

                      <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > look
                      > > > in my Sturmey archer folder.
                      > > >
                      > > > Surfers paradise is a great place to ride i can drive there on
                      the
                      > > > pacific highway and it takes about 1 hour but ballina is one
                      very
                      > > nice
                      > > > place to ride with plenty of bike paths and is flat and best
                      of
                      > > all it
                      > > > is next to the beach.
                      > > >
                      > > > i also collect vintage bicycles i have a 1969 SA S5 hub with
                      two
                      > > > cables one one side is the classic indicator chain and on the
                      left
                      > > > side is a shimano type push rod changer it pushes a thin rod
                      into
                      > > the
                      > > > hub to change gears i have completely rebuilt it and it is a

                    • brandon
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 13, 2008
                        I am putting a picture of my S5 on here.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 21, 2008
                          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
                          > Based on the info I have seen what you have is a pretty rare Sturmey
                          > Archer hub. Originally it was designed for sports use. Almost all
                          > British road competition at the time was time trials held on
                          > relatively flat courses and the AM looks to be designed for just
                          > such use with it's narrow range of gearing.

                          While I'm sure some were raced, the AM was intended for the
                          non-competitive sporting rider. The AC and earlier AR had much closer
                          ratios and were better suited for TTs.

                          Looking at the exploded views on Hadland's site The AM appears to be
                          much more robust. Much the same design as the FW & S5. One of the
                          guys on our Saturday rides uses an AM, even when we go off-road. And
                          we've had a few on the Lake Pepin event.
                        • Mike Bullis
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 21, 2008
                            I've been inside my AM once or twice and I would have guessed I was looking at the guts of an FW or S5, except for the lack of a secondary sun gear. Got lucky recently when I bought a box of parts and there were a few AM and few FW shift rods in it.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 22, 2008
                              Mark;

                              Were virtually all British TTs reasonably flat? I remember a TDF TT
                              that was held on Alp d'Huez as I recall. ;-)

                              Rich Wood

                              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Stonich" <mark@...>

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 25, 2008
                                At 11:59 AM 11/22/2008, you wrote:
                                >Were virtually all British TTs reasonably flat?

                                I don't know about "virtually all" but there was a tendency to design
                                courses that would produce fast times. Such as using the shoulders
                                of busy motorways to take advantage of the "Tailwind" created by
                                passing cars. I do know that John Woodburn used ACs and FCs for his
                                attempts at the Cardiff to London record which he finally got. 162
                                miles and not particularly flat. Hill climbs were basically uphill
                                TTs and usually done on a single speed bike.

                                >I remember a TDF TT that was held on Alp d'Huez as I recall. ;-)

                                Refresh my memory, is that in Surry or Kent?

                                Mark Stonich;
                                BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                                5349 Elliot Ave S. - Minneapolis. MN 55417
                                Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
                                http://mnhpva.org