Re: Stainless Steel Rims Sources?

  • chkamb
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
      Hi Rich,
      I know these stainless steel rims, very popular on so-called Holland bikes here in Europe. I would not recommend them as in most cases these are old Westwood profiles which are just weak:
      www.rigida.com/en/products/single-wall-rims/stainless-steel/st28
      www.rigida.com/en/products/single-wall-rims/stainless-steel/st32

      Chris
    • Joel
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
        Hi Rich;

        Gazelle bicycle sell bikes with stainless rims, including IIRC some with
        a squate profile. they are available as a spare part here in .au so you
        should be able to find them in (i'm guessing here) the states.

        My previous load bike had a el-cheapo 26" chromed rim with a drum brake
        and lasted really well.

        Cheers

        Joel

        On 1/04/2010 4:52 AM, Rich wrote:
        > On some European commuter/city IGH bikes I have seen stainless steel rims listed as standard. It sounds like a good idea if the bike has coaster, drum or disc brakes installed as I suspect rim brakes would be pretty bad in wet weather, just like the old steel rims were.
        >
        > Does any one know of sources for stainless steel rims, preferably in the USA, or are they typically only sold to bike manufacturers?

      • John Baldwin
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
          I hate being the "C" in an "A-B" discussion, but...  What are the benefits of steel rims?  Every time I attempt to true one (usually a completely housed 27" singlewall) they don't respond to any kind of manipulation and get chucked for a replacement alloy.  I just recycled about 20 wheels that were kicking around in my basement.  Some were the Rigida kind with the textured braking surface found on a lot of french bikes in the seventies.  I like those, they seem cool and a completely immaculate set will actual sell well on ebay (but what doesn't, right?).  I've run them and I want them to work - they do not.  They're ungodly heavy (and I am NO weight weenie), they rust, they warp, they can't be trued; total crap.  What's the appeal of these new generation stainless rims other than the ever-so-chic dutch using them?  Can we adopt another dutch practice like requiring that drivers pay thousands of dollars for a license?  Oh yeah, they ain't just biking because they look good in heels while doing it...
          -JB

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
            IMO the only real advantage would be weather and corrosion resistance for winter commuting and general use bikes. They might also work well on bikes that live near the ocean and are subjected to salt spray. That would certainly apply to a lot of Dutch bikes.

            I would certainly want some type of hub brake if using stainless steel rims as I suspect that they would have similar braking characteristics in wet weather as the old chromed steel rims did when used with rim brakes. Also rim brakes would mar the finish.

            I originally asked about them mostly from curiosity about whether anyone was importing them. I find some European bike accessories and technology worthwhile and interesting.

            From reading things on the web apparently Dunlop at one time made some of the best chromed steel rims including some relatively lightweight versions. In addition to continuing to use IGH and FG road performance bikes apparently some Brits also continued to demand steel rims on such bikes after the French and Italians had all gone to aluminum. British conservatism?

            Rich Wood

          • wahooncx@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
              Rich,

              From my understanding the top of the line Dunlop rims were the stainless. Aluminum alloys were very expensive until well into the 1950, and the aluminum technology was slow to develop due to energy shortages in the UK post WW2. Also the UK had been one of if not the top steel producer of the Euro nations from the 1800's until post WW2.

              I have seen the Dunlop SS rims and they are nice!

              Aaron

              From: "Rich" <astronut1001@...>
              Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 18:33:12 -0000
              To: <Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Stainless Steel Rims Sources?

              IMO the only real advantage would be weather and corrosion resistance for winter commuting and general use bikes. They might also work well on bikes that live near the ocean and are subjected to salt spray. That would certainly apply to a lot of Dutch bikes.

              I would certainly want some type of hub brake if using stainless steel rims as I suspect that they would have similar braking characteristics in wet weather as the old chromed steel rims did when used with rim brakes. Also rim brakes would mar the finish.

              I originally asked about them mostly from curiosity about whether anyone was importing them. I find some European bike accessories and technology worthwhile and interesting.

              From reading things on the web apparently Dunlop at one time made some of the best chromed steel rims including some relatively lightweight versions. In addition to continuing to use IGH and FG road performance bikes apparently some Brits also continued to demand steel rims on such bikes after the French and Italians had all gone to aluminum. British conservatism?

              Rich Wood

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@ yahoogroups. com, John Baldwin <johnbaldwin207@ ...> wrote:

              > I hate being the "C" in an "A-B" discussion, but... What are the benefits
              > of steel rims? Every time I attempt to true one (usually a completely
              > housed 27" singlewall) they don't respond to any kind of manipulation and
              > get chucked for a replacement alloy. I just recycled about 20 wheels that
              > were kicking around in my basement. Some were the Rigida kind with the
              > textured braking surface found on a lot of french bikes in the seventies. I
              > like those, they seem cool and a completely immaculate set will actual sell
              > well on ebay (but what doesn't, right?). I've run them and I want them to
              > work - they do not. They're ungodly heavy (and I am NO weight weenie), they
              > rust, they warp, they can't be trued; total crap. What's the appeal of
              > these new generation stainless rims other than the ever-so-chic dutch using
              > them? Can we adopt another dutch practice like requiring that drivers pay
              > thousands of dollars for a license? Oh yeah, they ain't just biking because
              > they look good in heels while doing it...
              > -JB
              >
              > On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Joel <joel@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hi Rich;
              > >
              > > Gazelle bicycle sell bikes with stainless rims, including IIRC some with
              > > a squate profile. they are available as a spare part here in .au so you
              > > should be able to find them in (i'm guessing here) the states.
              > >
              > > My previous load bike had a el-cheapo 26" chromed rim with a drum brake
              > > and lasted really well.
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > >
              > > Joel
              > >

              > > On 1/04/2010 4:52 AM, Rich wrote:
              > > > On some European commuter/city IGH bikes I have seen stainless steel rims
              > > listed as standard. It sounds like a good idea if the bike has coaster, drum
              > > or disc brakes installed as I suspect rim brakes would be pretty bad in wet
              > > weather, just like the old steel rims were.
              > > >
              > > > Does any one know of sources for stainless steel rims, preferably in the
              > > USA, or are they typically only sold to bike manufacturers?
              > > >
              > > > Rich Wood

            • palatine_ej
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2010
                > Does any one know of sources for stainless steel rims, preferably in the USA, or are they typically only sold to bike manufacturers?

                This blogger boughts some Araya SS rims in Japan:
                http://www.flyingpigeonproject.org/2009/10/score-stainless-steel-westwood-rims.html

                Sounds like they're hard to find. Makes sense, aluminum rims are so good now, why bother?

                Eric