SA AWC in 40h?

  • Rick Paulos
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 30 11:11 AM
      Does anybody know if the Sturmey Archer AWC hub (3 speed coaster
      brake) ever came in a 40 hole shell?

      Finished up rebuilding a Raleigh Tourist and the brakes have left the
      owners wife begging for the addition of a coaster brake. I guess in
      response to the look on the owners face. Aieeeee.

      Other suggestions are welcome but we'd like to keep it somewhat
      contemporary and rea$onable.

      Rick
    • prester_john_in_cathay
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 30 8:06 PM
        Rick wrote in part:
        > Does anybody know if the Sturmey Archer AWC hub (3 speed coaster
        > brake) ever came in a 40 hole shell?

        My Sturmey reference doesn't show an AWC in 40 hole. The TCW and S3C both came in 40 hole versions. The S3C is better, but neither one was a great hub.

        PJ
      • Rick Paulos
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 31 9:07 AM
          Okay, next question. Can I swap the guts between an AW and a AWC?

          I've done that with AW vs S5 before but the AWC has the coaster brake
          ring on the left side. I'm guessing it threads in like the other end
          caps. Is the shell the same in an AW vs AWC?

          Any hints on removing the brake ring from the shell without ruining
          it? The current AW is built up in a wheel so leverage on that will
          be easy. A doner AWC may or might not be. I could spoke it up to get
          leverage. But getting a grip on the brake ring is important. Did
          anyone ever see any special tool for that? Outside of the factory?

          Another option is a 36h rim for the Raleigh Tourist. 28".

          Thanks,
          Rick

          At 10:06 PM 3/30/2010, prester_john_in_cathay wrote:
          >Rick wrote in part:
          > > Does anybody know if the Sturmey Archer AWC hub (3 speed coaster
          > > brake) ever came in a 40 hole shell?
          >
          >My Sturmey reference doesn't show an AWC in 40 hole. The TCW and
          >S3C both came in 40 hole versions. The S3C is better, but neither
          >one was a great hub.
          >
          >PJ

        • prester_john_in_cathay
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 31 10:06 AM
            Rick wrote in part:
            > Another option is a 36h rim for
            > the Raleigh Tourist. 28".

            Yellow jersey claims to have them:

            <http://www.yellowjersey.org/eastbits.html>

            Notrh Road imports modern Pashley roadsters which use 28", 36h rims and they might (should) have rims:

            <http://www.northroadbicycle.com/us.html>

            HTH,
            PJ
          • Mike Bullis
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 31 10:58 AM

              Okay, next question. Can I swap the guts between an AW and a AWC?

              Yes. I should qualify that I did with an S3C.

              I've done that with AW vs S5 before but the AWC has the coaster brake
              ring on the left side. I'm guessing it threads in like the other end
              caps. Is the shell the same in an AW vs AWC?

              Yes.

              Any hints on removing the brake ring from the shell without ruining
              it? The current AW is built up in a wheel so leverage on that will
              be easy. A doner AWC may or might not be. I could spoke it up to get
              leverage. But getting a grip on the brake ring is important. Did
              anyone ever see any special tool for that? Outside of the factory?

              Dismantle the hub and drive the brake ring out from the right side with a drift.

              Now that I wrote all this, are the AWC and AW post 1963? The left bits are pressed on, not threaded.

              Good Luck.

              Another option is a 36h rim for the Raleigh Tourist. 28".

              Thanks,
              Rick

              At 10:06 PM 3/30/2010, prester_john_ in_cathay wrote:

              >Rick wrote in part:
              > > Does anybody know if the Sturmey Archer AWC hub (3 speed coaster
              > > brake) ever came in a 40 hole shell?
              >
              >My Sturmey reference doesn't show an AWC in 40 hole. The TCW and
              >S3C both came in 40 hole versions. The S3C is better, but neither
              >one was a great hub.
              >
              >PJ

            • Rick Paulos
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 31 11:17 AM
                >Now that I wrote all this, are the AWC and AW post 1963? The left
                >bits are pressed on, not threaded.

                Well, I'll have to check the dates. I don't have the hubs here
                now. Are you saying the newer, post 1963, hubs are pressed on? Is
                that the case for all Sturmey Archer hubs? Is that when they stopped
                putting the wrench flats on the left end of the AWs? Guess I never
                noticed and that would explain why I couldn't unthread the left side
                on some hubs :) I would think the coaster brake models would be less
                prone to failure if the drum ring threaded on. Extended use of a
                coaster brake would heat the drum ring and cause it to expand, making
                it even tighter in the hub shell. I wonder if SA used heat on the
                shell & cold on the left ends during assembly or just pressed them
                together. No matter what model of hub (single speeds excepted) there
                is pedaling torque going thru the left end to the shell. A press fit
                just doesn't seem to be as reliable as a threaded fit.

                Anyhow, just heard back from the bike owner, we may be going for plan
                B, 36h hub & 36h rim. A Tourist isn't going suffer from having 4
                fewer spokes vs having better brakes.

                thanks,
                rick
              • Mike Bullis
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 31 11:44 AM

                  >Now that I wrote all this, are the AWC and AW post 1963? The left
                  >bits are pressed on, not threaded.

                  Well, I'll have to check the dates. I don't have the hubs here
                  now. Are you saying the newer, post 1963, hubs are pressed on? Is
                  that the case for all Sturmey Archer hubs? Is that when they stopped
                  putting the wrench flats on the left end of the AWs? Guess I never
                  noticed and that would explain why I couldn't unthread the left side
                  on some hubs :) I would think the coaster brake models would be less
                  prone to failure if the drum ring threaded on. Extended use of a
                  coaster brake would heat the drum ring and cause it to expand, making
                  it even tighter in the hub shell. I wonder if SA used heat on the
                  shell & cold on the left ends during assembly or just pressed them
                  together. No matter what model of hub (single speeds excepted) there
                  is pedaling torque going thru the left end to the shell. A press fit
                  just doesn't seem to be as reliable as a threaded fit.

                  Anyhow, just heard back from the bike owner, we may be going for plan
                  B, 36h hub & 36h rim. A Tourist isn't going suffer from having 4
                  fewer spokes vs having better brakes.

                  thanks,
                  rick
                  The left hand cup of the AW based hubs are pressed in in 1963 and newer hubs, no wrench flats. I learned the hard way. The cups and brake rings are pressed in pretty darn tight and the hub and cup mating surfaces are serrated. I use a 3# hammer along with a 3/4" drive socket(don't recall the size) and extension to drive the cups out.

                  As I posted earlier, I did this with an S3C. I didn't have a matching rim for a project and didn't feel like dismantling, relacing, and truing a wheel. As luck would have it, a matching rim with an AW showed up last week.

                  Mike