Re: Thoughts on my planned Ti/Carbon "7" 69er w/ a Rohloff Hub & Lefty Carbon Fork

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2010
      ti69er;

      Welcome to the group.

      The Rohloff is not the only choice as some members are using the Shimano Nexus or Alfine hubs. Hub choice needs to be based on the gear range you need for your own strength and style of riding. After all there are SS MTB riders out there.

      The Rohloff has a range of 526% low to high and even percentage steps between gears. The Shimano is about 306% and the jumps between gears are not even percentages which some riders find annoying. The Rohloff was originally designed as a MTB hub.

      I wonder about your weight goal. It seems optimistic to me on a bike with large dirt tires. It is about what my 83 road Colnago Super Record weighs. Will you be using V or disc brakes? Discs are definitely heavier.

      The Rohloff will add about a half a pound or so compared to a mid range 27 speed MTB derailleur drivetrain based on my math comparing the Alfine hub with the listed weights of my Surly Big Dummy components. The Rohloff weight varies with exact configuration.

      A shop which does a lot of Rohloff MTB work per their web site is Cycle Monkey in Albany CA. They are also the Rohloff factory authorized repair facility for the USA. A discussion with them might be worthwhile.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "kmmcfb" <chrisburke2@...> wrote:

      > just joined, would love any thoughts/advice/warnings etc on my next planned build - as subject says, it's a custom ti/carbon "7" IMX hardtail frame w/ a Rohloff speedhub, carbon lefty SL fork, with 69er geometry (29 upfront and 26 rear)
      >
      > i'm a cross country rider - current ride is a full sus duo-lux "7" w/ crank brothers cobalt wheels, XT cranks and sram X-9 d-package. ride in modestly rooty VA w/ some rocks and technical stuff, but some quick, narrow single track also.
      >
      > i have a couple questions before i pull the trigger on the final order:
      >
      > 1) is the Rohloff the only hub to consider for a versatile internal shifting, mtb build? cost considerations aside- is it the best - i've seen a few bikes built up w/ shimano alfines, even some w/ the i-9 (seems too heavy)
      >

      > 2) current ride is about 27lbs - i think i can get the above to 22 or 23 - will this lighter weight be noticeable? i like the 29er's roll over anything feeling but find them too tanky handling for the twisties (ridden everything from the new superfly to a trek) also find them slow to get going - love the 69er idea but admit i have not ridden one -
      >
      > other comments welcome.
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > -ti69er

    • kmmcfb
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2010
        Rich, thanks for the summary - nice to know the R was originally designed for mtb - didn't know that.

        yes, 22 might be a little optimistic but we'll see - frame is 3lbs, fork 2.77lbs, everything else will be carbon fiber or ti - breaks avid XX.

        one thing i need some opinions on is rims?!

        i'm 6' 200lbs (w/ shoes/camelback etc)

        my other ride has CB cobalts on it (love them) and a 2nd set of wheels is crossmax SLs - the R requires I build a back wheel and i also think i'll build a front.

        proj321 has a new, fairly cool looking lefty w/ a ceramic bearing - there's also I9. don't know much about, but have heard good things on - DT Swiss, Sunringle and Shimano.

        welcome input on wheel make and model - remember it's a 69er, want the front and rear to match.

        best,

        -ti69er