  • Tony Berger
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2010
      This is true, there are still some cars out there with non-interference motors.  Not nearly as many as 10 or 20 years ago though.  I should have specified that I am one of the rare people in the USA that attempt to find cars that get better than 50MPG (and are actually fun to drive, and yes I drive once and a while) so that means I have only diesels to consider and I haven't seen a diesel with a non-interference motor.  Due to compression, when our diesels break a timing belt, we lose much more than the valves unless we are lucky enough to have it break at idle.

      Thanks for clarifying my post.  I'll be more specific in future posts.

      Tony B.
      formally TDiTony, now Xtracycletony, guess I may have to change to CDSTony at some point.

    • Joseph Shaul
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2010
        If you're looking for 50MPG and "not depressingly awful", I'd suggest rollcaging a CRX and doing a few aero mods, and swapping in a more modern engine. Vroom vroom!

        Today, interference engines include:
        -Basically everything Honda makes
        -Basically everything Subaru makes (it really is just one engine)
        -All Mazdas with a four cylinder engine, which is about 80% of them.
        -All Fords which use a Mazda-derived engine, including the Focus, Fusion, and rather a lot more
        -And lots, lots more

        Timing belt failure often causes severe damage to the valves and cylinder head, and sometimes to the cylinder walls and pistons as well. Sometimes the damage is great enough that it's not even worth fixing the engine.

        On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Tony Berger <anthonyeberger@...> wrote:

        This is true, there are still some cars out there with non-interference motors.  Not nearly as many as 10 or 20 years ago though.  I should have specified that I am one of the rare people in the USA that attempt to find cars that get better than 50MPG (and are actually fun to drive, and yes I drive once and a while) so that means I have only diesels to consider and I haven't seen a diesel with a non-interference motor.  Due to compression, when our diesels break a timing belt, we lose much more than the valves unless we are lucky enough to have it break at idle.

        Thanks for clarifying my post.  I'll be more specific in future posts.

        Tony B.
        formally TDiTony, now Xtracycletony, guess I may have to change to CDSTony at some point.

      • Conrad OHO
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2010
          A bit OT but, Joseph do you know if the Suzuki 3cyl 1 liter engine in the various Geo and Chevy Metro's is an interference engine? I've got a 1998 4 passenger Chevy Metro Hatchback with this engine and I get around 48mpg average in mixed SF Bay area driving... Conrad OHO