Re: Kickstand Keeps Moving

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
      John;

      What kind of tools do you have available? I have a good selection of tools including a metal lathe, drill press, taps & dies etc.

      I would tackle it by drilling and tapping a small hole in the stand mounting plate on the frame. Locate it so it still oerlaps the top plate of the stand when installed. Mount the stand at the angle wanted. Install a set screw in the tapped hole and tighten it so that it digs into the stand top plate to prevent the stand moving. Once the stand top plate is marked by the set screw you could drill the stand top plate so that the set screw recesses into the drilled hole when tightened for even more security.

      The plate mounted side stand that came with my Surly Big Dummy has file like teeth on the top of the stand to dig into the mounting plate and prevent rotation. It worked even on the Surly steel frame and mounting plate. It has already been replaced by a Xtracycle Kickback center stand though.

      Rich Wood