Re: Shimano Nexus - damaged beyond repair - 18 months old

  • bernard.morey
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "bernard.morey" <bernard@...> wrote:

      > I have my bike on for a service and the tech rang to say the rear hub, A Nexus 8 speed, was noisy and I should have it greased and checked.
      >
      > He rang back today and said the hub was damaged beyond repair -- full of rust. I said this extraordinary as the bike is just 18 months old. The tech is going to try Shimano for a warranty replacement.
      >
      > I ride up to 20 km most days of the week.
      >
      > Has anyone else had this trouble?

      Good news - Shimano has replaced the hub ex-gratia. The covering letter to LBS is not especially gracious but at least Shimano has done the right thing.

      All the same I'm not keeping the bike. After it's repaired I'll sell it for the best price I can get on Ebay. I bought a better quality bike - Trek Soho (the carbon belt one) - today from another LBS. It also has the Nexus hub - the LBS owner said he'd never heard of this problem with Nexus but he'd check it out at the 6 week and 12 month free services.