Re: Emailing Shimano

  • pdxrandonneur
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2010
      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > Shimano USA does not list a email contact address. Shimano Australia does have a email form on their site that can be filled in to contact them. It is available here.
      >
      > http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/global_cycle/en/au/index/contact_us.html
      >
      > I have used it to try and let Shimano know of my interest in a drop bar shifter for the upcoming 11 speed IGH that has been announced.

      The fact that they have reversed the cable pull on the 11 speed suggests to me they are planning to move it into the "high end" and offer nicer shifters for it, and the shifter shown with the 11 speed is clearly a step up from the 8 speed alfine model.

      I love how shimano treats this subject like it is some kind of military secret:

      "Shimano will neither confirm nor deny that they are working on an Alfine drop bar lever".

      What we need to do is somehow figure out who at shimano is actually responsible for deciding what kind of shifters get made, and who he/she works for. Then finding a physical address to which we can send this person letters (rather than emails) would be a huge victory. Emails are so easy to ignore, but an actual letter has some weight, even more so in an age when they are increasingly rare. A nice hand written letter (without threats or obscene comments) from a lifetime shimano customer expressing their desire for a bar end shifter for the new alfine (and the old one), including even some photos of the shimano hub equipped bikes they already own, would likely have much more effect than an email. Shimano has spent *A LOT* of money on marketing research to figure out what customers want, and I am convinced that if we can get the message to the right person we can have some effect.

      -Rando