Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] American inner geared hub

  • Mike Bullis
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
      Lucky you, Brandon. Sounds like you probably got yourself a Bendix 2 speed. I don't know much about the manual hub, as I've only ever seen one close up. Bendix made a couple of kickback hubs, similar to the Torpedo Duoamatic. One was direct with overdrive and one was direct with underdrive. I had one of the underdrive hubs about a decade ago on a Schwinn Hollywood the was really nice to ride.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
        Brandon;

        Congratulations on the acquisition.

        The only post WWII American gear hub I have heard of is Bendix. Did
        the bike include a shifter?

        The book "Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual" has overhaul info on the
        Bendix 2 speed hubs. From one diagram it looks like the manually
        shifted version rather than the kickback version. Their drawing
        shows a chain shifter rather than a bell crank arangement though.
        The manual is available on Amazon used though no idea of shipping
        cost to Australia.

        Per photos in the manual the manufacturer's name should be on the
        coaster brake torque arm. I presume it is a coaster brake gear hub.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bullis
        <workinonitstill@...> wrote:

        > Lucky you, Brandon. Sounds like you probably got yourself a Bendix
        2 speed. I don't know much about the manual hub, as I've only ever
        seen one close up. Bendix made a couple of kickback hubs, similar to
        the Torpedo Duoamatic. One was direct with overdrive and one was
        direct with underdrive. I had one of the underdrive hubs about a
        decade ago on a Schwinn Hollywood the was really nice to ride.

        > Mike

      • brandon
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
          Actually it doesn't have a coaster arm it freewheels could be a Bendix
          it looks like a 3 speed but it doesn't have a shifter i going to try
          and clean up the hub a bit and see what else it says on the hub.

          thanks for the help rich and mike.

          Brandon.
          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
            Brandon;

            Personally I have never heard of a Bendix 3 speed hub. Has anyone
            else? Let us know if you can decipher any other markings. Sounds
            interesting.

            Rich Wood

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
            <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

            > Actually it doesn't have a coaster arm it freewheels could be a
            Bendix
            > it looks like a 3 speed but it doesn't have a shifter i going to
            try
            > and clean up the hub a bit and see what else it says on the hub.
            >
            > thanks for the help rich and mike.
            >
            > Brandon.
            > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
            > <astronut1001@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Brandon;
            > >
            > > Congratulations on the acquisition.
            > >
            > > The only post WWII American gear hub I have heard of is Bendix.
            Did
            > > the bike include a shifter?
            > >
            > > The book "Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual" has overhaul info on
            the
            > > Bendix 2 speed hubs. From one diagram it looks like the
            manually
            > > shifted version rather than the kickback version. Their drawing
            > > shows a chain shifter rather than a bell crank arangement
            though.
            > > The manual is available on Amazon used though no idea of
            shipping
            > > cost to Australia.
            > >
            > > Per photos in the manual the manufacturer's name should be on
            the
            > > coaster brake torque arm. I presume it is a coaster brake gear
            hub.

            > > Rich Wood
            > >

            > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bullis
            > > <workinonitstill@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Lucky you, Brandon. Sounds like you probably got yourself a
            Bendix
            > > 2 speed. I don't know much about the manual hub, as I've only
            ever
            > > seen one close up. Bendix made a couple of kickback hubs,
            similar to
            > > the Torpedo Duoamatic. One was direct with overdrive and one was
            > > direct with underdrive. I had one of the underdrive hubs about a
            > > decade ago on a Schwinn Hollywood the was really nice to ride.
            > > >
            > > > Mike

          • brandon
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
              The hub is rusty but after a lot of careful sanding and a lot of work
              i managed to decipher: 333 three speed hub USA pat:2067053
              my bet is that it is a shimano but there is no shimano markings
              anywhere and the hub design and shape is completely different to any
              of my shimano hubs.

              <astronut1001@...> wrote:

              > Brandon;
              >
              > Personally I have never heard of a Bendix 3 speed hub. Has anyone
              > else? Let us know if you can decipher any other markings. Sounds
              > interesting.
              >
              > Rich Wood
              >

              > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
              > <rogersbrandon96@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Actually it doesn't have a coaster arm it freewheels could be a
              > Bendix
              > > it looks like a 3 speed but it doesn't have a shifter i going to
              > try
              > > and clean up the hub a bit and see what else it says on the hub.
              > >
              > > thanks for the help rich and mike.
              > >
              > > Brandon.
              > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
              > > <astronut1001@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Brandon;
              > > >
              > > > Congratulations on the acquisition.
              > > >
              > > > The only post WWII American gear hub I have heard of is Bendix.
              > Did
              > > > the bike include a shifter?
              > > >
              > > > The book "Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual" has overhaul info on
              > the
              > > > Bendix 2 speed hubs. From one diagram it looks like the
              > manually
              > > > shifted version rather than the kickback version. Their drawing
              > > > shows a chain shifter rather than a bell crank arangement
              > though.
              > > > The manual is available on Amazon used though no idea of
              > shipping
              > > > cost to Australia.
              > > >
              > > > Per photos in the manual the manufacturer's name should be on
              > the
              > > > coaster brake torque arm. I presume it is a coaster brake gear
              > hub.
              > > >
              > > > Rich Wood
              > > >

              > > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bullis

              > Bendix
              > > > 2 speed. I don't know much about the manual hub, as I've only
              > ever
              > > > seen one close up. Bendix made a couple of kickback hubs,
              > similar to
              > > > the Torpedo Duoamatic. One was direct with overdrive and one was
              > > > direct with underdrive. I had one of the underdrive hubs about a
              > > > decade ago on a Schwinn Hollywood the was really nice to ride.

            • Mike Bullis
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
                Brandon & Rich,

                I was in error about a Bendix three speed hub. I meant the New
                Departure three speed, specifically this.
                http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/07/30/u-s-makes-new-bike-
                shift/#more-2821
                They were produced and are extremely rare. I have held one in my
                hands. They do show up on ebay occasionally.
                A novel concept and ahead of its time.

                Mike

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
                  Brandon;

                  The 333 is an early Shimano gear hub. Links to info available on
                  Google. Here is some comments on it by Sheldon Brown. Scroll Down
                  to see. From the comments a hub to avoid.

                  http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano333.html

                  Not surprised by the U.S. patent information being stamped on it.
                  Shimano has always tried to patent all of their new developments.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
                    Mike;

                    Here is your link as a tinyurl which Yahoo will not break.

                    http://tinyurl.com/5wdl5b

                    Interesting idea. Too bad never produced in quantity. Wonder if it
                    had design/reliability problems.

                    BTW Yahoo usually breaks links that extend over more than one line
                    of posts. I suggest using tinyurl.com or a similar utility site to
                    convert to something that they cannot mess up.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
                      I note that the New Departure company was listed in the article as a
                      division of General Motors, as is Bendix which so far as I know is
                      still a GM division.

                      When did GM get out of bicycle parts? Also why did they quit if
                      anyone knows?

                      Rich Wood

                      <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                      > Mike;
                      >
                      > Here is your link as a tinyurl which Yahoo will not break.
                      >
                      > http://tinyurl.com/5wdl5b
                      >
                      > Interesting idea. Too bad never produced in quantity. Wonder if
                      it
                      > had design/reliability problems.
                      >
                      > BTW Yahoo usually breaks links that extend over more than one line
                      > of posts. I suggest using tinyurl.com or a similar utility site
                      > convert to something that they cannot mess up.
                      >
                      > Rich Wood
                      >

                      > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bullis"
                      > <workinonitstill@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Brandon & Rich,
                      > >
                      > > I was in error about a Bendix three speed hub. I meant the New
                      > > Departure three speed, specifically this.
                      > > http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/07/30/u-s-makes-new-bike-
                      > > shift/#more-2821
                      > > They were produced and are extremely rare. I have held one in
                      my
                      > > hands. They do show up on ebay occasionally.
                      > > A novel concept and ahead of its time.
                      > >
                      > > Mike
                      > >
                      > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
                      > > <astronut1001@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Brandon;
                      > > >
                      > > > Personally I have never heard of a Bendix 3 speed hub. Has
                      > anyone
                      > > > else? Let us know if you can decipher any other markings.
                      > Sounds
                      > > > interesting.
                      > > >
                      > > > Rich Wood
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"

                      > > > Bendix
                      > > > try
                      > hub.

                      > > Bendix.
                      > > > Did

                      > on
                      > > > the
                      > > > manually
                      > > drawing
                      > > > though.
                      > > > shipping

                      > on
                      > > > the
                      > gear
                      > > > hub.

                      > > > Bendix
                      > only
                      > > > ever
                      > > > similar to
                      > > was
                      > about
                      > ride.

                    • Mike Bullis
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
                        wrote:
                        >> http://tinyurl.com/5wdl5b
                        >
                        > Interesting idea. Too bad never produced in quantity. Wonder if it
                        > had design/reliability problems.

                        I'm inclined to think that the $14.50 price(about $125.00 today)at a
                        time when the average weekly wage was around $16.00 may have had a lot
                        more to do with it not taking off than design or reliability. The one
                        that I held in my hand was of exceptional quality and its design was
                        similar to the excellent SA T series hub.

                        Mike