American inner geared hub

  • brandon
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
      does any one know about American inner geared hubs?
      i bought this old dragster/60s/70s muscle bike i don't know how old it
      is or what type of bike it is but i know the hub has a bell crank on
      it like the shimano hubs and i can faintly make out on the hub shell
      "made in USA" looks kind of like a shimano hub.

      Brandon.
    • Mike Bullis
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
        Lucky you, Brandon. Sounds like you probably got yourself a Bendix 2 speed. I don't know much about the manual hub, as I've only ever seen one close up. Bendix made a couple of kickback hubs, similar to the Torpedo Duoamatic. One was direct with overdrive and one was direct with underdrive. I had one of the underdrive hubs about a decade ago on a Schwinn Hollywood the was really nice to ride.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
          Brandon;

          Congratulations on the acquisition.

          The only post WWII American gear hub I have heard of is Bendix. Did
          the bike include a shifter?

          The book "Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual" has overhaul info on the
          Bendix 2 speed hubs. From one diagram it looks like the manually
          shifted version rather than the kickback version. Their drawing
          shows a chain shifter rather than a bell crank arangement though.
          The manual is available on Amazon used though no idea of shipping
          cost to Australia.

          Per photos in the manual the manufacturer's name should be on the
          coaster brake torque arm. I presume it is a coaster brake gear hub.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bullis
          <workinonitstill@...> wrote:

          > Lucky you, Brandon. Sounds like you probably got yourself a Bendix
          2 speed. I don't know much about the manual hub, as I've only ever
          seen one close up. Bendix made a couple of kickback hubs, similar to
          the Torpedo Duoamatic. One was direct with overdrive and one was
          direct with underdrive. I had one of the underdrive hubs about a
          decade ago on a Schwinn Hollywood the was really nice to ride.

          > Mike

        • brandon
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
            Actually it doesn't have a coaster arm it freewheels could be a Bendix
            it looks like a 3 speed but it doesn't have a shifter i going to try
            and clean up the hub a bit and see what else it says on the hub.

            thanks for the help rich and mike.

            Brandon.
            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
              Brandon;

              Personally I have never heard of a Bendix 3 speed hub. Has anyone
              else? Let us know if you can decipher any other markings. Sounds
              interesting.

              Rich Wood

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
              <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

              > Actually it doesn't have a coaster arm it freewheels could be a
              Bendix
              > it looks like a 3 speed but it doesn't have a shifter i going to
              try
              > and clean up the hub a bit and see what else it says on the hub.
              >
              > thanks for the help rich and mike.
              >
              > Brandon.
              > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
              > <astronut1001@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Brandon;
              > >
              > > Congratulations on the acquisition.
              > >
              > > The only post WWII American gear hub I have heard of is Bendix.
              Did
              > > the bike include a shifter?
              > >
              > > The book "Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual" has overhaul info on
              the
              > > Bendix 2 speed hubs. From one diagram it looks like the
              manually
              > > shifted version rather than the kickback version. Their drawing
              > > shows a chain shifter rather than a bell crank arangement
              though.
              > > The manual is available on Amazon used though no idea of
              shipping
              > > cost to Australia.
              > >
              > > Per photos in the manual the manufacturer's name should be on
              the
              > > coaster brake torque arm. I presume it is a coaster brake gear
              hub.

              > > Rich Wood
              > >

              > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bullis
              > > <workinonitstill@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Lucky you, Brandon. Sounds like you probably got yourself a
              Bendix
              > > 2 speed. I don't know much about the manual hub, as I've only
              ever
              > > seen one close up. Bendix made a couple of kickback hubs,
              similar to
              > > the Torpedo Duoamatic. One was direct with overdrive and one was
              > > direct with underdrive. I had one of the underdrive hubs about a
              > > decade ago on a Schwinn Hollywood the was really nice to ride.
              > > >
              > > > Mike

            • brandon
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
                The hub is rusty but after a lot of careful sanding and a lot of work
                i managed to decipher: 333 three speed hub USA pat:2067053
                my bet is that it is a shimano but there is no shimano markings
                anywhere and the hub design and shape is completely different to any
                of my shimano hubs.

                <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                > Brandon;
                >
                > Personally I have never heard of a Bendix 3 speed hub. Has anyone
                > else? Let us know if you can decipher any other markings. Sounds
                > interesting.
                >
                > Rich Wood
                >

                > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
                > <rogersbrandon96@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Actually it doesn't have a coaster arm it freewheels could be a
                > Bendix
                > > it looks like a 3 speed but it doesn't have a shifter i going to
                > try
                > > and clean up the hub a bit and see what else it says on the hub.
                > >
                > > thanks for the help rich and mike.
                > >
                > > Brandon.
                > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
                > > <astronut1001@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Brandon;
                > > >
                > > > Congratulations on the acquisition.
                > > >
                > > > The only post WWII American gear hub I have heard of is Bendix.
                > Did
                > > > the bike include a shifter?
                > > >
                > > > The book "Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual" has overhaul info on
                > the
                > > > Bendix 2 speed hubs. From one diagram it looks like the
                > manually
                > > > shifted version rather than the kickback version. Their drawing
                > > > shows a chain shifter rather than a bell crank arangement
                > though.
                > > > The manual is available on Amazon used though no idea of
                > shipping
                > > > cost to Australia.
                > > >
                > > > Per photos in the manual the manufacturer's name should be on
                > the
                > > > coaster brake torque arm. I presume it is a coaster brake gear
                > hub.
                > > >
                > > > Rich Wood
                > > >

                > > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bullis

                > Bendix
                > > > 2 speed. I don't know much about the manual hub, as I've only
                > ever
                > > > seen one close up. Bendix made a couple of kickback hubs,
                > similar to
                > > > the Torpedo Duoamatic. One was direct with overdrive and one was
                > > > direct with underdrive. I had one of the underdrive hubs about a
                > > > decade ago on a Schwinn Hollywood the was really nice to ride.

              • Mike Bullis
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
                  Brandon & Rich,

                  I was in error about a Bendix three speed hub. I meant the New
                  Departure three speed, specifically this.
                  http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/07/30/u-s-makes-new-bike-
                  shift/#more-2821
                  They were produced and are extremely rare. I have held one in my
                  hands. They do show up on ebay occasionally.
                  A novel concept and ahead of its time.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
                    Brandon;

                    The 333 is an early Shimano gear hub. Links to info available on
                    Google. Here is some comments on it by Sheldon Brown. Scroll Down
                    to see. From the comments a hub to avoid.

                    http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano333.html

                    Not surprised by the U.S. patent information being stamped on it.
                    Shimano has always tried to patent all of their new developments.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
                      Mike;

                      Here is your link as a tinyurl which Yahoo will not break.

                      http://tinyurl.com/5wdl5b

                      Interesting idea. Too bad never produced in quantity. Wonder if it
                      had design/reliability problems.

                      BTW Yahoo usually breaks links that extend over more than one line
                      of posts. I suggest using tinyurl.com or a similar utility site to
                      convert to something that they cannot mess up.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
                        I note that the New Departure company was listed in the article as a
                        division of General Motors, as is Bendix which so far as I know is
                        still a GM division.

                        When did GM get out of bicycle parts? Also why did they quit if
                        anyone knows?

                        Rich Wood

                        <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                        > Mike;
                        >
                        > Here is your link as a tinyurl which Yahoo will not break.
                        >
                        > http://tinyurl.com/5wdl5b
                        >
                        > Interesting idea. Too bad never produced in quantity. Wonder if
                        it
                        > had design/reliability problems.
                        >
                        > BTW Yahoo usually breaks links that extend over more than one line
                        > of posts. I suggest using tinyurl.com or a similar utility site
                        > convert to something that they cannot mess up.
                        >
                        > Rich Wood
                        >

                        > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bullis"
                        > <workinonitstill@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Brandon & Rich,
                        > >
                        > > I was in error about a Bendix three speed hub. I meant the New
                        > > Departure three speed, specifically this.
                        > > http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/07/30/u-s-makes-new-bike-
                        > > shift/#more-2821
                        > > They were produced and are extremely rare. I have held one in
                        my
                        > > hands. They do show up on ebay occasionally.
                        > > A novel concept and ahead of its time.
                        > >
                        > > Mike
                        > >
                        > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
                        > > <astronut1001@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Brandon;
                        > > >
                        > > > Personally I have never heard of a Bendix 3 speed hub. Has
                        > anyone
                        > > > else? Let us know if you can decipher any other markings.
                        > Sounds
                        > > > interesting.
                        > > >
                        > > > Rich Wood
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"

                        > > > Bendix
                        > > > try
                        > hub.

                        > > Bendix.
                        > > > Did

                        > on
                        > > > the
                        > > > manually
                        > > drawing
                        > > > though.
                        > > > shipping

                        > on
                        > > > the
                        > gear
                        > > > hub.

                        > > > Bendix
                        > only
                        > > > ever
                        > > > similar to
                        > > was
                        > about
                        > ride.

                      • Mike Bullis
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
                          wrote:
                          >> http://tinyurl.com/5wdl5b
                          >
                          > Interesting idea. Too bad never produced in quantity. Wonder if it
                          > had design/reliability problems.

                          I'm inclined to think that the $14.50 price(about $125.00 today)at a
                          time when the average weekly wage was around $16.00 may have had a lot
                          more to do with it not taking off than design or reliability. The one
                          that I held in my hand was of exceptional quality and its design was
                          similar to the excellent SA T series hub.

                          Mike