TCW III

  • Rick Paulos
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2010
      I used a TCW III for years on my beater bike and never had any trouble with it.  Okay, this one time, at band camp school, I did slip a gear, on a 3 speed, while sprinting, up a steep hill, and wound up in the emergency room.   But, was that was a different hub?  Oh, that darn concussion.

      I think still have the wheel with the TCW III in the junk pile, coated in winter road grime, gunk & rust, with sew up rim and a 1970s era nobby tubbie that might even still hold air.  I'll pull it out and double check the model number.

      Rick

    • John Baldwin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2010
        I have one unbuilt in the basement.  It remains unbuilt largely because of the 40 hole nature of the hubshell and the fact that yours is the first positive(?) account I have ever heard about the TCW III.  I didn't hear so much about the hub being prone to gear slippage but, rather, that the coaster brake is completely unreliable.
        -JB