More 11 speed alfine info

  • pdxrandonneur
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
      http://road.cc/content/news/13981-shimano-alfine-11-speed-hub-car-park-test

      *It has an oil port!

      *This is a completely new design, not just as alfine upgrade.

      *the shifter is a redesign as well.

      *it's going to be about 100g lighter than the eight speed at about 1590g

      *Shifting is said to be improved (how you improve on the alfine's is beyond me)

      -Rando
    • Conrad OHO
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
        Looks increasingly interesting... but will Shimano make a Nexus 11 version compatible with the low maintenance premium roller brake?... Anyone know?
         Conrad OHO

        =====================

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
          Conrad;

          Apparently unknown at this time. From the description, and likely price, this hub as announced is aimed more at the Rohloff end of the market than the type of bikes normally fitted with roller brakes. At least that is how it looks to me at this stage.

          IMO the only city bikes that would need this hubs gear range are those used in the hilly sections of San Francisco and equally hilly cities. For truly hilly terrain I am not sure how good a roller brake would be. A disc might be both lighter and more effective but I have never ridden a bike with either a drum or roller brake.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Conrad OHO <conradoho@...> wrote:

          > Looks increasingly interesting... but will Shimano make a Nexus 11
          > version compatible with the low maintenance premium roller brake?... Anyone know?
          >  Conrad OHO
          >
          > =====================

        • John Baldwin
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
            Me Want.
            -JB

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
              They'd better not market to the incredibly slim market of Rohloff users.  A Rohloff is absurdly expensive, I would think Shimano would take that price down by half.  An alfine is around $200 cost.  A Rohloff is around a grand at cost.  This 11-speed Nexus should be around $400 cost (or less) in my opinion because; even though improvements (on paper) are seemingly vast this is not a 14 speed hub and the tech is nowhere near Rohloff quality.  Rohloff lovers will buy Rohloff.  You can't sway 'em.
              JB

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
                JB;

                Rohloff owners have had no choice other than the Rohloff if they wanted a truly wide range IGH. As a bonus it has gained a reputation for being very reliable too.

                Price is due at least in part to two factors, limited production and being made in Germany. Counting wages and benefits Germany is one of the highest wage countries in the world if I recall correctly and Rohloff production has not exceeded 20 thousand per year so far. For Shimano that production is peanuts. Mine, bought last year, is in the 95,000 serial number range after 10 years of production.

                The price I have seen mentioned for the new Shimano hub is about 300 Euros which is $409 as of today. Hard to guess what the street price will be in the USA but if the above is close then the Shimano hub will be about 1/3 the Rohloff cost, depending on options.

                Of course shifter, casette joint and appropriate anti turn washers have been separate but necessary additional purchases for Shimano hubs.

                Personally I hope that Shimano also comes out with both a bar end shifter and Brifter options for the new hub. IMO they would be smart to do so in order to increase it's appeal to a wider range of cyclists.

                Rich Wood