Re: New 11-speed Shimano IGH announced

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 4, 2010
      PJ;

      About the possibility of the actual release of the hub being delayed primarily. I had not read the rumors of a Shimano 11 speed IGH but figured that, knowing Shimano, they had to come up with an iM9 killer. Be interesting to see how SRAM and Sturmey Archer respond, and how quickly.

      Having been a QA engineer I am unfortunately familiar both with buggy designs being released too soon and designs being delayed enough to miss a marketing window. A combination of the two put Diablo Systems, where I worked, out of business.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "prester_john_in_cathay" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

      > > I hope that you are wrong...
      >
      > Uh, you hope I'm wrong about what, exactly?
      >
      > Best,
      > PJ

    • pdxrandonneur
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 4, 2010
        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > Great to hear. The first relatively close competition for the Rohloff. Oil bath lubrication even. I note that apparently they are copying the gear step intervals of the SRAM iM9.
        >
        > I wish Babelfish gave a cleaner translation of the web page.
        >
        > Rich Wood

        No doubt.

        "The inner feelings was besides completely revised"

        _Rando
      • Darol Hinton
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 4, 2010

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 4, 2010
            Darol;

            Interesting read of some of the posted comments. One poster seems to think that the current Alfine 8 weighs only about 1 KG so far as I can see. I believe the weights of the 8 speed and the new 11 speed are very close at the 1.6 Kg listed for the 11 speed. Last I looked the Shimano web site did not list the 8 speed hubs weight.

            Rich Wood

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 5, 2010
              At  2/5/2010 02:11 AM +0000, you wrote:
              Last I looked the Shimano web site did not list the 8 speed hubs weight.

              I have an old Sun rims catalog in which a weight is listed for each rim.  For the original "Rhyno" it has;
              Weight: Don't ask

              Mark Stonich;
                BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                  5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
                       Ph. (612) 824-2372  http://bikesmithdesign.com
                                   http://mnhpva.org

            • Jack Vincent
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 5, 2010
                Hub weights vary between 1600g and 2050g. Alfine is 1680g.

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 5, 2010
                  The fact that Shimano will use oil bath makes me consider modifying my Nexus SG-8R31 hub for oil bath lubrication. I'm thinking of tapping a screw-in plug and then put a powerful magnet on the plug. 25ml is approx. five teaspoons of oil. I would like to see Civia use the 11-spd hub on their belt-driven Bryant model.
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 5, 2010
                    Joe;

                    I would presume that for the oil bath lubrication change they have had to add oil seals on both sides like Rohloff has. W/o seals too much oil in the hub will find it's way out and make a mess. It certainly did on older Sturmey Archers that were overoiled.

                    I wonder if the wheel bearings of the SG-S700 will be lubricated via the oil bath too. The Rohloff's bearings are. Also will the next generation Alfine 8 speed be oil bath lubed or will the 11 speed replace it entirely?

                    The biggest problem I see with drilling and properly tapping the current hubs for oiling is the need to unspoke the wheel for reasonable access to the hub shell. I would also not want to try to drill and tap the shell without removing the hub internals.

                    Rich Wood

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 6, 2010
                      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "j_tdd" <joetodd@...> wrote:

                      > The fact that Shimano will use oil bath makes me consider modifying my Nexus SG-8R31 hub for oil bath lubrication. I'm thinking of tapping a screw-in plug and then put a powerful magnet on the plug. 25ml is approx. five teaspoons of oil. I would like to see Civia use the 11-spd hub on their belt-driven Bryant model.

                      Here is a page with photos and instructions from someone who has done that:

                      http://www.astounding.org.uk/ian/hubgear/oilport.html

                      -Rando