Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] new member

  • Bobbie Martin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010
      I have a Schlumpf Speed Drive on a Moulton APB. I have never
      accidentally shifted the Schlumpf.
      I wouldn't say its easy to shift, not hard though, just different.
      I can certainly shift a front derailer quicker than a Schlumpf, but the
      Schlumpf has other advantages that a double chainring cannot match.
      I have several bikes with a variety of gear systems, IGH, cassette &
      double chainring and the Schlumpf with a cassette hub.
      I like the Schlumpf very much and it works well on that bike.
      Not sure how it would work on a tandem, it would have to be on the
      stoker and both chains on the right side.
      I guess it could be on the captains BB, using a long chain to the rear
      through some sort of idlers with a timing chain going back to the stoker.
      Now that is a setup I would like to see!
      Bobbie Martin

      On 1/31/2010 9:25 AM, David Dannenberg wrote:
      > Not that I really need more gears on the BD, but I have long be intrigued with the possibilities offered by geared bottom brackets like the Schlumpf and Hammerschmidt.
      >
      > Seems that a geared bottom bracket combined with a Rohloff would be the ideal road tandem set-up. Do have a bit of concern about the weight of the bottom bracket gear sets. With the Schulmpf I am concerned about difficulty of shifting and also accidental shifting.
      >

      > Interested in other's experiences with these products.

    • chamberlin56
      Message 2 of 8 , May 9 3:35 PM
        I joined the group about two weeks ago. I'm 53, and I ride a 3-speed Raleigh Sport that I bought over 30 years ago, used, from a LBS - one of the best purchases I have ever made. My daily commute is less than a mile each way, but I ride mostly regardless of weather, and I love how my chain never gets wet or dirty, being completely enclosed, not to mention the gears. I first saw 7-speed IGH bikes in a store in Europe in 2002, and ever since then I have dreamed of a bike I could ride all day for several days, comfortably and confidently. I have joined the group hoping that it will help me realize my dream.

        David Chamberlin
        Message 3 of 8 , May 9 11:31 PM
          David;

          Welcome to the group.

          Lots of IGH bike choices available now including a drop bar road bike from Dynamic. Most though are commuter, hybrid or cruiser oriented.

          Full chaincases are rare though with Breezer the main one I am aware of and then only on one model so far as I know.

          What kind of layout such as handlebar style are you considering? IGH bikes have been used for everything up to around the world tours.

          Hopefully other members will chime in with suggestions for a long distance rides IGH bike.

          Rich Wood

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "chamberlin56" <dchamberlin@...> wrote:

          > I joined the group about two weeks ago. I'm 53, and I ride a 3-speed Raleigh Sport that I bought over 30 years ago, used, from a LBS - one of the best purchases I have ever made. My daily commute is less than a mile each way, but I ride mostly regardless of weather, and I love how my chain never gets wet or dirty, being completely enclosed, not to mention the gears. I first saw 7-speed IGH bikes in a store in Europe in 2002, and ever since then I have dreamed of a bike I could ride all day for several days, comfortably and confidently. I have joined the group hoping that it will help me realize my dream.
          >
          > David Chamberlin

        • prester_john_in_cathay
          Message 4 of 8 , May 10 6:30 AM
            chamberlin56 wrote in part:
            >I first saw 7-speed IGH bikes in a
            > store in Europe in 2002, and ever
            > since then I have dreamed of a bike
            > I could ride all day for several days,
            > comfortably and confidently.

            Well, let's throw out some bikes and see if anythng strikes your fancy.

            In the N.A. market, the first bike that comes to (my) mind is the Co-Motion Americano Rohloff:

            <http://www.co-motion.com/single_bikes/amerohloff.html>

            In the UK, Thorn offers similar bikes.

            <http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/ravensporttour.html>

            There are numerous "trekking" bikes offered in Germany with the SRAM iMotion9 hub, and an amazing array of Shimano equipped bikes in America (examples):

            <http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/commuter/10_commuter3.html>
            <http://www.dynamicbicycles.com/bikes/road.php>
            <http://www.dahon.com/bikes/2010/cadenza-xl>

            Of course you can start with a suitable frame and a hub from Shimano, SRAM or Sturmey-Archer and build up any sort of dream bike for yourself. I've seen a number of beautiful specials on the 'net based on Shimano's Alfine 8-speed hub.

            And then we're all waiting breathlessly (you'll note some of the list members already have a blue-ish cast) for the release of Shimano's new 11-speed IGH, and the bikes that will be built around that hub.

            HTH,
            PJ
          • David Chamberlin
            Message 5 of 8 , May 14 5:51 AM
              Thanks, Rich, and thanks, Prester, for your welcome and your thoughts. (I hope you and the rest of the group will be tolerant of my slow responses).  Regarding a long distance IGH bike (my dream bike), important features to me are comfort balanced with power.  I really like my old Raleigh Sport in that regard: I can sit up nearly straight if I want to, but I can also bear down quite effectively on the pedals.  I like the swept back handle bars, but I would prefer an angle of less than 45 degrees -- anyway, I'm not interested in drop bars.  I looked at the bikes Prester suggested.  Some are out of reach price-wise, so emphasize the "dream" aspect. And yes, count me in on the group that is waiting breathlessly for the new Shimano 11-speed hub.  I'll write more about my gripes with the present 8 and 9 speed hubs at some future time.

              David Chamberlin

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@ yahoogroups. com, "chamberlin56" <dchamberlin@ ...> wrote:

              > I joined the
              group about two weeks ago. I'm 53, and I ride a 3-speed Raleigh Sport that I bought over 30 years ago, used, from a LBS - one of the best purchases I have ever made. My daily commute is less than a mile each way, but I ride mostly regardless of weather, and I love how my chain never gets wet or dirty, being completely enclosed, not to mention the gears. I first saw 7-speed IGH bikes in a store in Europe in 2002, and ever since then I have dreamed of a bike I could ride all day for several days, comfortably and confidently. I have joined the group hoping that it will help me realize my dream.

              > David
              Chamberlin