Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: s3x

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2009
      At  12/31/2009 03:54 PM -0800, Mike Bullis wrote:
      BTW My latest Ebay prize just arrived in the mail from London.  A 1951 Sturmey Archer AM medium ratio 3 speed hub.

      Congrats on the score, Mark. IIRC, you've been looking for awhile. Great hub.

      Thanks.  I did get a great price, even w/shipping from the UK.  But I'm still sick about not bidding on this one
      http://tinyurl.com/ydoo7yk
      I was sure it would go for twice that much w/the alloy shell and like new wingnuts so I didn't bother bidding.   I've seen a clean set of wingnuts go for big bucks.

      I'm trying to figure out a way to quickly attach a shifter near the top of the seatstay on my 1976 Raleigh Super Course MkII.  Shifting will be a little awkward,  See; http://tinyurl.com/5ucw53 But since going to short (153mm) cranks I shift less often than anyone I know.

      The goal is a quick conversion from SS to 3 Speed with little or no extra hardware left on the bike when in SS mode.

      Mark Stonich;
        BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
          5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
               Ph. (612) 824-2372  http://bikesmithdesign.com
                           http://mnhpva.org

    • Mike Wilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
        I bought a pair of wheels off ebay.

        Guessing at 1/8 - 3/16 inch at chain location on 18 t sprocket in direct.

        I left the wheel at the machine shop; I can no longer measure it.

        I was being silly on the freewheel issues - since it is fixed, removal of a freewheel should be no different thaan from any other hub.