Re: Sturmey archer question

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 9, 2008
      Brandon;

      The Sturmey Archer 3 speed has ratios of about .75 in first, 1.0 in
      second and 1.33 in third. Overall range from low to high is 177%.
      This is for the standard AW version. Over their 100+ years Sturmey
      Archer made many 3 speed hub varuations with various internal ratios.

      Overall drive ratio in each gear is still determined by chainring and
      sprocket sizes and can be varied over a wide range. Generally
      speaking three speed hub gearing is chosen to give a high gear of 80"
      to 85" in third or high gear. This gives a low of around 45" which is
      low enough to allow moderate to medium hill climbing, depending on the
      rider's condition.

      Current derailleur systems have ranges of about 250% to 300% for a two
      chain ring road system and up to approximately 525%, and an extreme of
      600%, for a 3 chain ring wide ratio mountain bike derailleur system.

      The high gear on these systems is commonly chosen to be in the 100" to
      120" range. Thus for the same pedalling cadence the derailleur system
      in high gear will provide greater speed.

      One reason for the popularity of the newer 7, 8, 9 and 14 speed gear
      hub systems is the fact that they have total gear ranges comparable to
      many derailleur systems. The Shimano and Sturmey Archer 8 speeds are
      in the 300% overall ratio range while the 9 speed SRAM hub has a 340%
      range and the 14 speed Rohloff has a range of 526%. These are much
      more competitive with derailleur systems. They have smalller steps
      between gears than the 3 speed Sturmey Archer and greater overall gear
      ranges.

      These units allow a lower low for easily climbing steeper hills while
      also allowing a higher high for greater speed on the flat and/or when
      pedalling down hill or with a tailwind.

      All 3 speed gear hubs currently made have similar ratios. All also
      are basically derived from the original Sturmey Archer 3 speed unit
      introduced in 1902. It was state of the art then but there has been
      major progress in both gear hubs and derailleurs since. By modern
      standards the 3 speed is considered to be good for reasonably flat
      terrain riding unless the rider is in excellent condition. From an
      ergonomics standpoint the range is considered quite marginal and the
      jumps between ratios are too great.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 9, 2008
        Brandon;

        I would note for comparison purposes on gearing that my Rohloff 14
        speed hub Civia Highland has a low gear of 21" and a high of 110".
        My Swobo Dixon with 9 speed SRAM hub has a low of 27" and a high of
        about 94". Both are as delivered figures and have not been modified
        by changing chain rings or sprockets.

        Too high a high gear is rough on the knees. Use of a high gear
        higher than 100", except for downhill or tailwind use, should be
        confined to riders in excellent condition with good knees. Spinning
        a lower gear at higher cadence is much easier on the joints and leg
        muscles than straining in a higher gear.

        If you would like a discussion of the meaning of bicycle gear inches
        just say so. It is an antiquated system which IMO should be
        replaced but many American cyclists are used to it, and so can
        relate to it. Europeans use a different system which seems to me to
        be more logical.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 10, 2008
          Brandon;

          Here is a link to a article about the Sturmey Archer AM three speed
          hub which discusses it's ratios and gearing. I found it after a
          minimal Google search.

          http://www.geocities.com/cyqlist/saam.html

          It appears that this is a close ratio hub so the gearing range
          provided is narrower than with the much more common AW hub.

          <astronut1001@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > terrain riding unless the rider is in excellent condition. From
          > an
          > > ergonomics standpoint the range is considered quite marginal and
          > the
          > > jumps between ratios are too great.
          > >
          > > Rich Wood
          > >

          > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "brandon"
          > > <rogersbrandon96@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > If i had my sturmey archer in 3rd gear what gear or ratio
          would
          > my
          > > > sturmey archer be if compared to a derailleur system?
          > > > And would a sturmey archer 3 speed AM hub installed on a road
          > bike vs
          > > > a the same type of road bike with a 24 speed derailleur system
          > who
          > > > would win on a flat stretch of road with the same rider?
          > > > (I'm talking about gear ratio advantage)

        • brandon
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 10, 2008
            Thanks Rich i was just curious to know about these gear ratios because
            my lightweight road bike was becoming a bit boring so i laced and
            trued my sturmey archer 1950s hub into the rim and then contacted my
            friend who owns the same kind of bike just a different brand
            and sorted out a place to meet for a race (on a flat)
            and we both went flat out but i won by about 2 meters!

            which really surprised me after riding his bike i noticed mine wasn't
            that smooth in gear ratios but provided high speed this was a hundred
            meter race, my friend and me are both the same strength riders so i
            rode his and he rode mine still my bike won by about 2 meters.

            my friends bike was in 8th gear at the rear and 3rd at the front and i
            got to a point that it wouldn't go any faster whereas my hub just kept
            going faster i live in Australia and the hub is unknown what bike it
            came of i just found it on this bent up wheel on the side of the road.

            Brandon.

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 10, 2008
              Brandon;

              Based on the info I have seen what you have is a pretty rare Sturmey
              Archer hub. Originally it was designed for sports use. Almost all
              British road competition at the time was time trials held on
              relatively flat courses and the AM looks to be designed for just
              such use with it's narrow range of gearing.

              At the time derailleur gearing was not popular in Britain.
              Considering the derailleurs available at the time quite
              understandable IMO. When I lived in Pleasanton, CA I knew a kiwi
              who had ridden the tour in the late 50s or early 60s. His
              description of the derailleur equipment of the time made it sound
              like it was pretty bad by current standards.

              The Suntour and Shimano development of wide range derailleurs and
              freewheels in the early period of mountain bike popularity
              enormously increased their capabilities. They also developed
              freewheel tooth forms and chain sideplates which aided immensely in
              shifting performance. They ended up putting the whole of the
              european derailleur manufacturers, except Campy and Sachs-Maillard,
              out of business. Sachs is now SRAM and they and Campy seem to be
              the ony european derailleur suppliers left.

              <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > modified
              > > > by changing chain rings or sprockets.
              > > >
              > > > Too high a high gear is rough on the knees. Use of a high
              gear
              > > > higher than 100", except for downhill or tailwind use, should
              be
              > > > confined to riders in excellent condition with good knees.
              > > Spinning
              > > > a lower gear at higher cadence is much easier on the joints
              and
              > > leg
              > > > muscles than straining in a higher gear.
              > > >
              > > > If you would like a discussion of the meaning of bicycle gear
              > > inches
              > > > just say so. It is an antiquated system which IMO should be
              > > > replaced but many American cyclists are used to it, and so can
              > > > relate to it. Europeans use a different system which seems to

            • brandon
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 11, 2008
                So Rich my hub is rare that's pretty good, thanks for that. so its a
                close ratio hub that's alright considering i got it of some old rim.
                Are you American?, if so is sturmey archer popular over there because
                Australian bikes eg: malvern stars were made with SA hubs up til the
                1990s and rare Bmx bikes have them too.
                Do you have any more info of why they swapped to derailleurs when
                there is so much more potential in inner geared hubs?

                I would love to see a SA 10 speed inner geared hub put into production
                and put on a brand new road bike used for the tour De France that
                would prove how superior the inner geared hub is to derailleurs!

                Brandon.

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 11, 2008
                  Brandon;

                  I am American and live in Reno, Nevada.

                  SA does do an 8 speed hub though the gear range is wierd compared to
                  Shimano, SRAM and Rohloff gear hubs.

                  Derailleur gear trains are still lighter than the best high gear
                  count hubs, particularly the top end derailleur gear trains using
                  lots of carbon fiber and titanium in addition to aluminum. Remember
                  that in a Tour bike price is not a consideration and they have
                  really top mechanics going over each bike with a microscope on a
                  daily basis.

                  IMO the strengths of a gear hub, properly designed and made, are
                  long term dependability and much less susceptiblity to the effects
                  of mud, dust and bad weather. Also once initial cable stretch is
                  out of the shifter cable they hold adjustment longer than
                  derailleurs.

                  Per the book Bicycling Science, and test figures on the Rohloff web
                  site, the derailleur gear train is very slightly more efficient.
                  This does vary however with the derailleur sprocket selection being
                  used.

                  A rear derailleur is very subject to damage from a fall or other
                  impact from riding in rocky areas such as mountain bikers do
                  routinely. The latest gear hubs from SRAM, Shimano and Rohloff do
                  not have parts which protrude like a derailleur gear train does.
                  This makes them much less susceptible to damage in my opinion.

                  Thorn Bicycles in England makes some really high end adventure and
                  touring bikes. Their designer is a strong proponent of the Rohloff
                  hub. He has used it for rough road touring in Australia, Tasmania
                  and in South America. Rides have included multiple trips over the
                  Andes on dirt and gravel roads to altitudes close to 15,000 feet
                  with no problems from the Rohloff hub. It seems to be virtually
                  unbreakable. To me this is an area of use where a gear hub shines.

                  Also better than derailleur gear trains for use in city riding and
                  traffic due to the faster shifting and the ability to shift while
                  stopped at traffic lights or other stops. Just more user friendly
                  overall in this environment.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 11, 2008
                    Brandon;

                    Two reasons for derailleur gear trains being more popular.
                    Derailleurs took over when the typical gear hub was the 3 speed unit
                    from SA, Sachs or Shimano typically fitted to a utility type
                    bicycle. A 10 speed derailleur system could be made for the same or
                    less money and for the sales people, and many customers, 10 speeds
                    sounded sexier han 3. Also racers were using derailleurs.

                    Even now you can get a decent derailleur bike for less money than a
                    high gear count gear hub bike generally speaking. A lot more
                    precision machining and parts in the hub than in a derailleur system.

                    Here in the US currently the gear hub is gaining in popularity,
                    primarily on lower performance commuter and cruiser type bikes.
                    These are typically using Shimano 7 and 8 speed hubs with 3 speeds
                    on the bottom end bikes. Virtually all Anerican brands offer
                    several bikes in this category.

                    One maker ofers a model using the SRAM (originally Sachs) 9 speed
                    hub and one offers a bike with the Rohloff hub.

                    Sturmey Archer is now owned by a Taiwanese company and is no longer
                    common in the US. A few models are imported but distribution seems
                    pretty limited. No longer the first choice of manufacturers looking
                    to offer a gear hub bike.

                    <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > and we both went flat out but i won by about 2 meters!
                    > > >
                    > > > which really surprised me after riding his bike i noticed mine
                    > > wasn't
                    > > > that smooth in gear ratios but provided high speed this was a
                    > > hundred
                    > > > meter race, my friend and me are both the same strength riders
                    so i
                    > > > rode his and he rode mine still my bike won by about 2 meters.
                    > > >
                    > > > my friends bike was in 8th gear at the rear and 3rd at the
                    front
                    > > and i
                    > > > got to a point that it wouldn't go any faster whereas my hub
                    just
                    > > kept
                    > > > going faster i live in Australia and the hub is unknown what
                    bike
                    > > it
                    > > > came of i just found it on this bent up wheel on the side of

                  • brandon
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 11, 2008
                      I couldn't agree more Rich and i live somewhere you haven't heard of so i will say it is near Byron bay and its not outback terrain like most movies show Australia its very nice here with the beach close and lots of nice potholed roads .
                      and the weirdest thing is that on the riverbanks are bamboo so figure that out:-/
                      anyway i haven't heard of the rohloff hub before i joined this group can you put a pic of one on a bike i would like to see the setup.

                      Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
                        Brandon;

                        I Googled Byron Bay and looked it up in my atlas. Looks like a
                        resort town about 70 Km south of Surfers Paradise. The Google map
                        also shows the surrounding towns. Which is yours? There is also a
                        Wikipedia entry for Byron Bay I read. Sounds like a nice area.

                        <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > >
                        > > > So Rich my hub is rare that's pretty good, thanks for that. so
                        its
                        > > > close ratio hub that's alright considering i got it of some old
                        > > rim.
                        > > > Are you American?, if so is sturmey archer popular over there
                        > > because
                        > > > Australian bikes eg: malvern stars were made with SA hubs up
                        til
                        > > the
                        > > > 1990s and rare Bmx bikes have them too.
                        > > > Do you have any more info of why they swapped to derailleurs
                        when
                        > > > there is so much more potential in inner geared hubs?
                        > > >
                        > > > I would love to see a SA 10 speed inner geared hub put into
                        > > production
                        > > > and put on a brand new road bike used for the tour De France
                        that
                        > > > would prove how superior the inner geared hub is to

                      • brandon
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
                          My town is ballina i used to live in lismore and wow i didn't know
                          they used disc brakes on inner geared hubs.

                          The rohloff hub is pretty nice i can see why you like it a very
                          amazing bit of machinery i wouldn't mind one myself.

                          My hub didn't have wing nuts when i got it because it didn't have any
                          nuts on it so it could have had wing nuts it is made in England and is
                          genuine.

                          I have a couple of sturmey archers i will put one on here have a look
                          in my Sturmey archer folder.

                          Surfers paradise is a great place to ride i can drive there on the
                          pacific highway and it takes about 1 hour but ballina is one very nice
                          place to ride with plenty of bike paths and is flat and best of all it
                          is next to the beach.

                          i also collect vintage bicycles i have a 1969 SA S5 hub with two
                          cables one one side is the classic indicator chain and on the left
                          side is a shimano type push rod changer it pushes a thin rod into the
                          hub to change gears i have completely rebuilt it and it is a extremely
                          good hub.

                          Brandon.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
                            Brandon;

                            Rohloff, Shimano, Sturmey Archer and SRAM all now have some hub
                            versions that can have brake discs mounted per their web sites.
                            Disc brake calipers still need special caliper mounting provisions
                            on the frame and front forks however.

                            Disc brakes are much better working than rim brakes in wet weather.
                            This is particularly true of rim brakes and the old steel rims, a
                            bad combination in the wet with most caliper brake pad materials.

                            Heavier than caliper brakes but no rim wear or worries about tires
                            overheating in long downhill descents. Disc brakes are becoming
                            commoner on commuter and city bikes in the U.S. due to their better
                            wet weather performance. Also very common on better mountain bikes.

                            If you take a look at the Sturmey Archer web site they still list 3,
                            5 and 8 speed hubs in quite a variety. No idea of availability down
                            under however. Here is a link to the hubs on the current SA web
                            site.

                            http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs.php

                            Rohloff does have an Aussie branch. Here is a link to it.

                            http://www.rohloff.com.au/

                            Not nearly as complete as the Rohloff main site as some links seem
                            to be not functional on the Aussie site. If you are truly
                            interested in Rohloff hubs go to the main site and download the
                            manual in PDF format, a total of about 132 pages. It is in 3 parts
                            in PDF format. Here is a link to their downloads page. If nothing
                            else it is an interesting read if you are a technofreak.

                            http://www.rohloff.de/en/download/description/index.html#c1453

                            <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

                            > My town is ballina i used to live in lismore and wow i didn't know
                            > they used disc brakes on inner geared hubs.
                            >
                            > The rohloff hub is pretty nice i can see why you like it a very
                            > amazing bit of machinery i wouldn't mind one myself.
                            >
                            > My hub didn't have wing nuts when i got it because it didn't have
                            any
                            > nuts on it so it could have had wing nuts it is made in England
                            and is
                            > genuine.
                            >
                            > I have a couple of sturmey archers i will put one on here have a
                            look
                            > in my Sturmey archer folder.
                            >
                            > Surfers paradise is a great place to ride i can drive there on the
                            > pacific highway and it takes about 1 hour but ballina is one very
                            nice
                            > place to ride with plenty of bike paths and is flat and best of
                            all it
                            > is next to the beach.
                            >
                            > i also collect vintage bicycles i have a 1969 SA S5 hub with two
                            > cables one one side is the classic indicator chain and on the left
                            > side is a shimano type push rod changer it pushes a thin rod into
                            the
                            > hub to change gears i have completely rebuilt it and it is a
                            extremely
                            > good hub.
                            >
                            > Brandon.

                          • brandon
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 12, 2008
                              Disc brakes are expensive but effective on mountain bikes and yes i
                              would prefer to have disc brakes on my bike in the wet also have you
                              heard of the old S5 rich?, its a interesting hub used on 1970s
                              dragsters and touring bikes.
                              I would like a rohloff but they are from a bike review site $850!
                              probably worth it but with the same money i could buy a brand new
                              giant road bike and have a shimano nexus hub installed on it.

                              Brandon.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 13, 2008
                                Brandon;

                                Not sure if it is the same unit but the Sturmey Archer web site
                                still lists an S5 model gear hub. Probably not as it looks like the
                                current S5 has a single cable control. Heard of it but I have never
                                seen one.

                                With the weak U.S. dollar the Rohloff hub is now in the $1200 to
                                $1500 range here depending on configuration.

                                Basically I consider it to be the Campy Record or Shimano Dura Ace
                                hub equivalent or maybe, considering it's gear range, the Shimano
                                XTR of hubs. By reputation more durable than any of the above
                                however. According to a PDF on the Thorn bikes web site about use
                                of the hub, one owner has reportedly covered 190,000 Km on his
                                Rohloff hub without failure, not counting cables and output
                                sprockets I would presume. Not sure how many derailleurs, casettes
                                and chainrings you would go through in that distance but I suspect a
                                lot.

                                When you look at the top end Shimano and Campy derailleur setups
                                with derailleurs, combined brake and shifter levers along with rear
                                hub and casette the Rohloff price does not appear too bad. A recent
                                price check I did showed the Campy Record rear derailleur at over
                                $400 and the brifters at about $600 U.S.

                                I am thinking of getting the SRAM 5 speed hub and building a wheel
                                for my fixed gear bike frame. I currently have the fixed gear wheel
                                and a older Sachs 3 speed wheel for it. The SRAM unit is available
                                with the proper width to fit the narrow frame dropouts well.

                                <rogersbrandon96@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > > look
                                > > > in my Sturmey archer folder.
                                > > >
                                > > > Surfers paradise is a great place to ride i can drive there on
                                the
                                > > > pacific highway and it takes about 1 hour but ballina is one
                                very
                                > > nice
                                > > > place to ride with plenty of bike paths and is flat and best
                                of
                                > > all it
                                > > > is next to the beach.
                                > > >
                                > > > i also collect vintage bicycles i have a 1969 SA S5 hub with
                                two
                                > > > cables one one side is the classic indicator chain and on the
                                left
                                > > > side is a shimano type push rod changer it pushes a thin rod
                                into
                                > > the
                                > > > hub to change gears i have completely rebuilt it and it is a

                              • brandon
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 13, 2008
                                  I am putting a picture of my S5 on here.

                                  Brandon.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 21, 2008
                                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
                                    > Based on the info I have seen what you have is a pretty rare Sturmey
                                    > Archer hub. Originally it was designed for sports use. Almost all
                                    > British road competition at the time was time trials held on
                                    > relatively flat courses and the AM looks to be designed for just
                                    > such use with it's narrow range of gearing.

                                    While I'm sure some were raced, the AM was intended for the
                                    non-competitive sporting rider. The AC and earlier AR had much closer
                                    ratios and were better suited for TTs.

                                    Looking at the exploded views on Hadland's site The AM appears to be
                                    much more robust. Much the same design as the FW & S5. One of the
                                    guys on our Saturday rides uses an AM, even when we go off-road. And
                                    we've had a few on the Lake Pepin event.
                                  • Mike Bullis
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 21, 2008
                                      I've been inside my AM once or twice and I would have guessed I was looking at the guts of an FW or S5, except for the lack of a secondary sun gear. Got lucky recently when I bought a box of parts and there were a few AM and few FW shift rods in it.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 22, 2008
                                        Mark;

                                        Were virtually all British TTs reasonably flat? I remember a TDF TT
                                        that was held on Alp d'Huez as I recall. ;-)

                                        Rich Wood

                                        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Stonich" <mark@...>

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 25, 2008
                                          At 11:59 AM 11/22/2008, you wrote:
                                          >Were virtually all British TTs reasonably flat?

                                          I don't know about "virtually all" but there was a tendency to design
                                          courses that would produce fast times. Such as using the shoulders
                                          of busy motorways to take advantage of the "Tailwind" created by
                                          passing cars. I do know that John Woodburn used ACs and FCs for his
                                          attempts at the Cardiff to London record which he finally got. 162
                                          miles and not particularly flat. Hill climbs were basically uphill
                                          TTs and usually done on a single speed bike.

                                          >I remember a TDF TT that was held on Alp d'Huez as I recall. ;-)

                                          Refresh my memory, is that in Surry or Kent?

                                          Mark Stonich;
                                          BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                                          5349 Elliot Ave S. - Minneapolis. MN 55417
                                          Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
                                          http://mnhpva.org