s3x

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
      I got my s3x today.

      It appears to have about twice the backlash of my ASCs, which means 4x the backlash of a T. I have not measured the backlash of my TC at all. For this reason alone I would stick with the T on my Bianchi Pista.

      The driver sprocket is shimano standard spline. The threading is standard freewheel, but I do not know how you get a freewheel off once you put it on; the driver does not have slots like the old AW. This does mean that you could do the old cheat of locktite, a threaded sprocket and a bottom bracket lockring. It would work better on this hub because you can use the splined spacers to keep the sprocket from unwinding the lockring - maybe no locktite required.

      It uses the same axle thread and right hand ball cup thread of the old AW, which I believe dates back to the K series. The cones appear the same as AW. The axle flats appear to be the same dimension as AW.

      I am not familiar enough with the recent SA offerings to know if the driver internally matches other drivers. I believe the clutch is the same as modern ones.

      The planet cage is keyed to the left hand ball cup with a 3-prong key/socket like an oversized K series right side cone keying washer.

      There is no right side cone keying washer. It came with the right cone 1.5 turns from tight; the spec on AW etc. used to be 1/4-1/2 turn from tight.

      I do not ride fixed in winter* so this will not get ride-tested soon. Not to mention that the bar-end is my second-least-favorite shifter style, only worsted by the stem shifter (not sure how to compare with the twist-grip).

      Michael Wilson

      *my freewheel winter crash rate is the same as my freewheel summer crash rate, and my fixed summer crash rate is the same as my freewheel summer crash rate, but my winter fixed crash rate was 10x my summer fixed crash rate for the 3 years I rode fixed in the winter; I have not ridden fixed in the winter in over 20 years.
    • palatine_ej
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
        > It appears to have about twice the backlash of my ASCs, which means 4x the backlash of a T.

        How much backlash is it in angle degrees at the cog in 1:1?

        Does it change with the gear that's selected?
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
          At  12/30/2009 02:13 PM +0000, you wrote:
          > It appears to have about twice the backlash of my ASCs, which means 4x the backlash of a T.

          Mike,
          Are you in the USA?  Did you buy a wheel, bike or hub kit?  My supplier now says 3-4 more weeks.  Our ice covered streets make the exact delivery date less important

          How much backlash is it in angle degrees at the cog in 1:1?

          Does it change with the gear that's selected?

          Good questions.

          Mark Stonich;
            BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
              5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
                   Ph. (612) 824-2372  http://bikesmithdesign.com
                               http://mnhpva.org

        • prester_john_in_cathay
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2009
            > Not to mention that the bar-end is
            > my second-least-favorite shifter style...

            Sturmey has said in their literature that the S3X shifters (thumb and bar end) can be removed from their mounts and installed on downtube shift bosses, and they did exactly this for their Interbike show model. It's barely visible in this picture:

            http://tinyurl.com/ya24tn5

            PJ
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2009
              At  12/31/2009 06:26 PM +0000, you wrote:
              > Not to mention that the bar-end is
              > my second-least-favorite shifter style...

              Sturmey has said in their literature that the S3X shifters (thumb and bar end) can be removed from their mounts and installed on downtube shift bosses, and they did exactly this for their Interbike show model. It's barely visible in this picture:

              http://tinyurl.com/ya24tn5

              So then you could also mount them on Paul's Thumbies.

              I'm quite pleased they went with the bar ends.  They are my 2nd favorite type of shifter, after the classic, all metal, Sturmey Archer trigger.

              BTW My latest Ebay prize just arrived in the mail from London.  A 1951 Sturmey Archer AM medium ratio 3 speed hub. -13.46%/D/+15.55% seems like a nice set of ratios  (vs. -25%/D/+33%  for the AW)  for terrain where a single speed would be just a little too challenging for an old fart like me.  Now I'll finally have to sort out how to calculate spoke lengths for a 32h rim and a 40h hub.

              It came cleverly shipped in a cylindrical Redondo "Luxury Creme Wafers" tin.   Everything spins freely and it makes all the right sounds.  But I've learned the hard way to hold off giving feedback on hubs till I've opened them up.

              Mark "12 bikes with Sturmey triggers and 10 with SunTour BarCons" Stonich;
                BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                  5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
                       Ph. (612) 824-2372  http://bikesmithdesign.com
                                   http://mnhpva.org

            • Mike Bullis
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 31, 2009
                Congrats on the score, Mark. IIRC, you've been looking for awhile. Great hub.

                Mike

                At  12/31/2009 06:26 PM +0000, you wrote:

                > Not to mention that the bar-end is
                > my second-least- favorite shifter style...

                Sturmey has said in their literature that the S3X shifters (thumb and bar end) can be removed from their mounts and installed on downtube shift bosses, and they did exactly this for their Interbike show model. It's barely visible in this picture:

                http://tinyurl. com/ya24tn5

                So then you could also mount them on Paul's Thumbies.

                I'm quite pleased they went with the bar ends.  They are my 2nd favorite type of shifter, after the classic, all metal, Sturmey Archer trigger.

                BTW My latest Ebay prize just arrived in the mail from London.  A 1951 Sturmey Archer AM medium ratio 3 speed hub. -13.46%/D/+15. 55% seems like a nice set of ratios  (vs. -25%/D/+33%  for the AW)  for terrain where a single speed would be just a little too challenging for an old fart like me.  Now I'll finally have to sort out how to calculate spoke lengths for a 32h rim and a 40h hub.

                It came cleverly shipped in a cylindrical Redondo "Luxury Creme Wafers" tin.   Everything spins freely and it makes all the right sounds.  But I've learned the hard way to hold off giving feedback on hubs till I've opened them up.

                Mark "12 bikes with Sturmey triggers and 10 with SunTour BarCons" Stonich;
                  BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                    5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 USA
                         Ph. (612) 824-2372  http://bikesmithdesign.com/ | Reply to group

                Messages in this topic (5)
                .

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 31, 2009
                  At  12/31/2009 03:54 PM -0800, Mike Bullis wrote:
                  BTW My latest Ebay prize just arrived in the mail from London.  A 1951 Sturmey Archer AM medium ratio 3 speed hub.

                  Congrats on the score, Mark. IIRC, you've been looking for awhile. Great hub.

                  Thanks.  I did get a great price, even w/shipping from the UK.  But I'm still sick about not bidding on this one
                  http://tinyurl.com/ydoo7yk
                  I was sure it would go for twice that much w/the alloy shell and like new wingnuts so I didn't bother bidding.   I've seen a clean set of wingnuts go for big bucks.

                  I'm trying to figure out a way to quickly attach a shifter near the top of the seatstay on my 1976 Raleigh Super Course MkII.  Shifting will be a little awkward,  See; http://tinyurl.com/5ucw53 But since going to short (153mm) cranks I shift less often than anyone I know.

                  The goal is a quick conversion from SS to 3 Speed with little or no extra hardware left on the bike when in SS mode.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
                    I bought a pair of wheels off ebay.

                    Guessing at 1/8 - 3/16 inch at chain location on 18 t sprocket in direct.

                    I left the wheel at the machine shop; I can no longer measure it.

                    I was being silly on the freewheel issues - since it is fixed, removal of a freewheel should be no different thaan from any other hub.